“Great Location for Dulles Airport” 5 of 5 stars

Extended Stay
Ranked #12 of 20 hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Location for Dulles Airport”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2010

There are a few different Hyatt hotels in the area and I almost left a review for the Hyatt Place hotel until I check the address, so make sure you are reading about the correct hotel.

As for this Hyatt, right next to the airport in a business complex, it was great. Very nice inside; clean, spacious rooms; and nice staff. I read the review about the pocket doors in the bathroom, in the two rooms we had, both had normal hinged doors. It's a suite style room with a bed on one side, half divider with a flat screen TV, and then a sitting area side with a couch, love seat and desk/chair (check out pics from other members). There is $5 bottles of water and free coffee in the rooms with Travel cups (that's nice for the morning rush). We didn't use the bar area in the lobby but it looked nice and had a small selection of pastries. There is a nice Koi pond in the lobby with some pretty impressively sized fish.

If you don't have a car, there isn't too much in the immediate area (it's a corporate center). But about a mile away there are a few shopping centers with fast food and restaurants (Wendy's, Taco Bell, Fridays, Bertuccis, etc) and we stopped at the 7-11 to get a few drinks and snacks.

We used the hotel for one night before an early morning flight from Dulles. The beds were nice and it was a quality hotel. The free shuttle starts at 5:15 and ran every 30minutes, and at 6:45 he was right on time. I would definitely recommend this hotel for people flying in and out of Dulles airport.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
HyattDulles, Director of Sales at Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, June 19, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. We were delighted to see how much you enjoyed staying with us. We look forward to serving you in the future, and thank you for choosing the Hyatt Dulles.

375 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Turkish first
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

I have just completed a quick one night stay at this property and I was very pleased. Loved the room, specifically the layout...not your standard hotel room that is for sure. King bed was extremely comfortable and the hotel is in a very quiet area which is great for sleeping. Free parking is definitely an added bonus and as long as you have a car you are not far at all from restaurants, shopping, the airport or the Smithsonian Air & Space Museum. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Stuarts Draft, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

I have stayed at this Hyatt a few times, but my most recent visit was 2008. The rooms are large with comfortable beds, and the separate sitting area is nice. Breakfast was very good in the morning, even if it was a little pricey. My wife and I are getting ready to stay here again in June before and after our 10th Anniversary trip. I love the look of the new renovations. Can't wait to stay at the Hyatt Dulles again! By the way, you can book this hotel on Priceline.com for WAY under the normal asking price. Our total with taxes is under $60 for both a Saturday night and a Thursday night. Don't pay retail!

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Falling Waters, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2010

This was a wonderful weekend getaway for us and we were very pleased with the hotel
in general. The room is very specious and the staff extremely friendly especially Jennifer Tann at the front desk and Yanni. Both were most helpful to us. Our waiter Ming in the dining room is always certain to provide us good service at breakfast. I think this hotel would meet the needs of the weekday and weekend traveler. It is very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2010

We stayed here for a night before our flight out of Dulles. We were very happy with the room and were given a child's cot straight away, which was nice.
The hotel was easy to find, probably thanks to a lot of complaints from others regarding directions.
The hotel shuttle was easy as we needed to go to Dulles the day before our flight to book some other flights with vouchers we had.
The ONLY complaint I'd have about this hotel was that the room service (we have a baby and it was too late to eat in the restaurant, so we ordered it to the room) was horrible. The food was soggy and one of the burgers we ordered was undercooked. In the hotel's defence, we didn't send it back or complain as we were too tired and getting ready for the transatlantic flight the next morning. However, it was the most expensive and poorest quality room service we've ever had at a hotel.

Alexandria, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

The reason this hotel is selling weekend rooms for $63 is because it's nearly impossible to get to. You can actually see the hotel from the airport, but we spent nearly 30 minutes driving up and down Sudley Road, Frying Pan Road, and Innovation Drive trying to find a way into the hotel. The whole time the hotel was within sight of us, but we just couldn't find access to it. After 30 minutes, we pulled off on the shoulder of the road, staring straight at the hotel, and called the front desk to find out where the entrance was. They gave us a different set of instructions to try. We tried the new directions for 10 more minutes, but still couldn't find the entrance. Even though it was well after the 6:00 cancellation time, we called back to speak to a manager and he cancelled our reservation as we simply couldn't get there. The next weekend (I'm on the road 35 weeks a year and NEVER get lost anywhere) I decided to try the hotel again, as I really wanted the Gold Passport Points. Even with a Mapquest this time, it took two wrong turns before finally making it in.

The rooms were average. If it weren't for Hyatt's Next Big Thing Promotion, I'd easily stay somewhere else. I assume they aren't charging much for rooms because they got a good deal on the real estate they've built on, as nobody else would build a hotel so close to the Dulles access road yet so inaccessible.

Chicago, IL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt Dulles with my family for one night.

Pros: I paid a $64 charge for a "suite" which was a pull-out bed and a king in one room. A very good value for the money. Room was clean, bed comfortable (not anywhere near a Marriott or Westin bed, but better than a standard hotel bed). Hotel itself is very nice, with bar right in lobby, plenty of parking (in a garage that is a little bit of a walk if the hotel is full).

Cons: We arrived tired at 1:00 AM, and there was ONE very overwhelmed-looking woman working the desk. She was responsible for all internal and external phone calls, checking everyone in, and dealing with everyone in the very busy lobby. The hotel was completely full, so you would think they would plan accordingly and have sufficient staff to take care of the late arrivals. I waited in line for 30 minutes, exhausted with my grumpy children draped over the luggage close-by because there were 2 strange looking vagrants begging for money in the lobby (nobody on duty to deal with it). We were finally successful, and went up to our room (1028-on the corner). Despite the fact that I indicated that there were 4 of us traveling, there was one small bottle of shampoo, no conditioner, no lotion...and 2 towels. When we called down, they said they did not have staff to bring anything. Super annoying.

Now for the BEWARE: The bathrooms at this hotel have POCKET doors. I went in and closed the door. When I tried to get out, the door, which was thick and heavy was stuck. Not just a little stuck. I should preface this by saying that I travel for a living, and usually am alone. I am so glad that I was with my husband THIS time, as I had chained the door for the night, this bathroom did not have a phone, and I had not carried my cell phone in with me. I was stuck in the bathroom for an hour, while my husband tried everything to get me out. We called the desk, and after it ringing for 20 minutes, the harassed desk clerk answered and said that she would send an engineer. While we waited, my husband got the luggage rack leg wedged in the door and managed to pry it open enough for me to get out. I am claustrophobic, and this was a horrible experience. The engineer had not shown up yet, so my husband called and cancelled, but let the desk clerk know that this room should not be given to anyone else. If I had been alone, I would have been locked in the bathroom, with the chain on the door, and no way to call for help ALL night until the maid finally came in late morning. The thought terrifies me.

In the morning, my husband (concerned about the next person who might get stuck), went down and asked that an engineer be sent up. To my total astonishment, the same woman was behind the desk, and this was her response: "You would not allow the engineer in the door when he came up last night (he never showed up), so we sent him into another room (they were full, so how they got into another room at 2:00 AM I do not know), and the door in THAT room was fine, so there is no problem." WHAT?????? My husband demanded that an engineer come up IMMEDIATELY. After 30 minutes, no engineer. So he called, and she had "forgotten" to send him. He did eventually come. He said that "sometimes they stick, but they are not dangerous." So my husband told the engineer to go into the bathroom and shut the door. He said we would pay DOUBLE the nightly rate if he could get out unassisted. Long story short, my husband had to pry out the frightened-looking engineer after 15 minutes. He then admitted he thought that the pocket doors were insane for a hotel, and that people FREQUENTLY got stuck.

When we went down to check out, my husband told the girl at the desk we wanted a discount because of all of the hassle. She offered us points (we do not stay in Hyatts normally). I told her (and now people checking in were starting to take notice), that points would be fine if we could use them for another night where we would NOT be held hostage in the bathroom. To get rid of us, she refunded us.

I will not go back. I would have given this hotel 3-4 stars, but this was ludicrous, a HUGE safety risk, and they clearly have little or no concern for an ongoing problem. Please beware-if you are traveling alone...do not chain the door and do not close the bathroom door. If you do, bring your cell phone with you!!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport? Share your experiences!