“Poor service and facilities” 2 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Herndon, United States
“Poor service and facilities”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Most unpleasant hotel experience in the last year, for hotels costing more than $100, including lower priced hotels such as Springhill, Fairfield Inn. Parking was packed all during stay. No luggage carts (or bell staff) were available on arrival or departure. Banquet food was overcooked and tasteless (I asked for a medium rare pork chop and got a very well done pork chop. And chocolate cake was dry like it was two days old). Beds were hard. Bathroom area is not separated so light floods bedroom disturbing person trying to sleep. Staff was indifferent to service issues. Only bright spot was when I couldn't get any coffee at the bar a waiter from the restaurant next door gave me a free cup of coffee.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

Paul K, Director of Sales at Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Bruce, thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your feedback, and it is being taken very seriously. We have reviewed your concerns as a management team, and we are making strides to rectify them where we are able. Please allow us the opportunity to serve you again, and if there is anything I can do to personally assist you please do hesitate to contact me.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Turkish first
Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Beware of the ac vent. The one in my room was located about 4 feet from the floor at the foot of the bed. It loudly and vigorously blew directly on me. I had to turn the thing off. Fortunately, the weather has not yet turned hot and I could do without it. The room decor was over the top masculine with dark brown colors. Rather depressing actually. Mine appears to have been designed for a handicapped person. I am not handicapped and missed little things like drawers to place my belongings. Finally, the bed was not comfortable. Not even an extra blanket.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hyatt Hotels

New Bern
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

We got a great deal on Priceline with this hotel! We experienced a few minor issues that were rectified by the staff (Business Center out of Paper, hot tub to cold). Also some small cosmetic issues that could use some attending to such as a rip in the headboard. Overall however we really enjoyed our stay and would stay again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

The hotel was overall very good and I cannot complain about a single thing. The rate was good and it is well located near Washington Dulles Airport. I can recommend this hotel for any kind of travel! I will certainly stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to write your review, thank you for your feedback. I am delighted to hear you had an excellent stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon for your next trip to the Northern Virginia area.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I went with my family in Apr. The room and ambience was good but the morning breakfast service was horrible. there was a long quee & no food on the table, only 1 person was cateringfor the entire morning. simple refills took more 15-20min with people waiting with empty plates.
The swimming pool was open but there was no life guard present at the pool. With so many kids around there should have been a lifeguard present at all time.
not upto the name of hyatt.

Room Tip: rooms were good.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Gaithersburg, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

I fully agree with previous reviewer Shehla on staff training. The lady that checked us in needed some serious "hospitality training" Sochi style. During the whole process, she has not once smiled or looked at me straight and the whole thing seemed to be just huge ordeal for her.
Let start from the beginning, we have completed "web check-in" via email and thinking that we just need to pick up the key walked in to the hotel with my husband unloading the car. WRONG, the check in kiosk was nowhere to be seen, so my son and I got in line to the front desk to inquire where the machine was. There were 2 people there with one gentleman helping other customer and a lady just typing something, finally after 5 minutes or so she grudgingy motioned me over (no smile, hello or can I help you). After my inquiry about the web check in she spit out "over there but its broken" and demanded my ID, card, etc. Since I was expecting an easier process advertised in the Hyatt email, I was not prepared. In any case she gave us keys to preassigned room and sent us on the way (no smile, have a good day or question if we need luggage assistance).
Upon check out the next day we requested luggage assistance from the front desk via phone around 6:20 am in hopes to make 6:45 shuttle (shuttles run every 30 min). When nothing arrived, I went up front around 6:30 and was told "you have 10 minutes, relax" by the front desk person. We ended up wheeling our own luggage at 6:40 to board the shuttle.
Room itself was clean, spacious. No complaints, but we also only stayed one night.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, we greatly appreciate your honest feedback. Allow me this time to apologize for the service concerns you experienced while at our property. What you have described is not the service we or our associates strive to delivery. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated room product, however please allow us the opportunity in the future to deliver a proper level of customer service.
Panama City, Panama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We chose to stay at the Hyatt for three reasons: 1) pet friendly facility, 2) near Dulles Airport, 3) it's a Hyatt. Problems from the beginning. We checked in with our 3 pound dog and had to sign a pet agreement and pay a non-refundable $60 cleaning fee. We had to agree not to leave our dog alone or unattended. No problem yet, but...we also had to agree NOT to take the dog into the restaurant, bar, swimming pool area, exercise room or any other public facility even in a dog carry case. You probably have figured out the problem!

The hotel was near Dulles Airport about a 15 minute drive in a hotel shuttle. And it was a Hyatt but what decent Hyatt can't provide hot water??? I was looking forward to a nice hot bath after a long day of traveling. Not to be. Water pressure was so low it took almost 30 minutes to fill the small bathtub (I was listening to the evening news while attempting to take a bath) and even with the 'hot' on full, the water was only tepid. Up comes the hotel engineer who assures me the boiler is set on 130degrees. Well, great but MY water was maybe 90 degrees. UGH!

The hotel agreed to waive the $60 pet fee to compensate for the lack of hot water. That was a nice gesture but I was still very disappointed.

Room Tip: If you have a pet, find a true pet friendly place to stay.
Green Features: I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Unless lukewarm water is saying on power costs.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I would like to apologize on behalf of the leadership team at Hyatt Dulles that you did not receive the service commensurate with our brand. Regarding the pet policy, while I am sure you understand the need for restrictions with in public places, we can agree the implementation in this case was below our standard. As a result we are reviewing our current pet policy. If returning to the area, please allow us the opportunity to better serve you and your family. I am happy to personally assist you with any needs you may have.

Been to Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport? Share your experiences!