“Good hotel to stay if you miss your flight (or for business)” 4 of 5 stars

Double Your Points
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Good hotel to stay if you miss your flight (or for business)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We missed our flight due to enormous security lines at Washington Dulles Intl. Airport. Normally it would take about 30-60 minutes to clear through immigration, customs and the extra security check (international flight), but on a Saturday it took us over 2 hours, which was way too long to reach our connecting flight. The last flight out of Dulles Airport was full, so we had to stay there instead of Florida. We picked Hyatt, which was an excellent choice. Nice room, very comfortable bed (better than we had in a villa in Florida) and large 37" TV (I think it was 37"). Bathroom was a little bit simple, but everything was provided. Overall a good hotel to stay if you miss your flight or if you are on a business trip. In the morning the breakfast is a la carte and in buffet style. In my oppinion the prices at the breakfast were a little bit overpriced, but I don't know the prices of the other hotels in this area.

Only one suggestion for the person at the reception;
When I called them to ask for a shuttle, I was told to wait at 'Door 2A or 2H'. At Dulles Airport you have about 6 doors, but no A to H. I waited 30 minutes in the snow (without proper winter clothes, because we were heading for Florida), but it had to be 'curb 2H', which you can reach by going to Door 6, cross the street and then see Curb 2.

I wasn't the only one waiting there, a pilot waited for the Westin, they told him 'Door 2' too. So might be a common error to make?

Still miss that heavenly bed!
If I might miss a flight again, I now know at least one good hotel to stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Turkish first
Haleiwa, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at this airport hotel for one night after arriving from Hawaii and connecting the next day to Africa.
I am sure many guests come from all over the world and have a sense of time not necessary Eastern Standard. This is at Washington International Airport- a major international airline gateway. A hotel like this should operate as a 24h operation with restaurants operating around the clock - not here.

What can be better than jumping in a nice heated indoor pool before a long flight in the morning - not here.

The pool hours are from 5pm to 10 pm, and longer on weekends.
I managed to use the pool - it was great - the water was warm and still refreshing. The hotel blamed the cost to have a life guard on duty and told me upper management is mandating the 5 hour per day opening.

The rooms were nice and complete. I was however surprised to be charged $5.00 for a small bottle of still water. I am a Diamond member at Hyatt and did not think they would penalize loyalty like this.

Before I arrived I lost my credit cards and used a small limit back up card. The hotel charged my $240.00 room rate PLUS they kept another $240.00 for more than 10 days. I called the hotel to release the hold, and was quiet arrogantly told the hotel was not in China but in the US - and to keep the money for 10 days was just their policy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Rooms are clean and very spacious. Service at front desk is good, though it annoys me that I always have to look for a bellhop if i stash my bag for the day. Breakfast buffet is much better than at value chains, even if its not fancy. Gym is new and clean but not huge. Room service food is only okay. Obviously very very convenient to the airport

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

1-night business stay.
Easy access. Friendly staff. Relaxing atrium. Delicious ahi tuna. Clean, fresh room. Like the layout out of king room. Initial room had a cold breeze blowing from window/wall. (After all it was 18 degrees) maintenance responded in minutes, couldn't solve problem, he personally checked on getting me in another room, returned with new room option across hall, which took all of 5 minutes. Nice to see empowered people serving well. Great AARP rate.

• Stayed January 2013
HyattDulles, Director of Sales at Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Thank you for writing your recent review on Tripadvisor. I was happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. I apologize about the draft you experienced in your room, but I was happy to learn that our maintenance team took great care of you. Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we hope to see you back at our hotel in the near future.

Melanie Walent
Burke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've been here often for meetings with others flying in from around the country because it has very adequate meeting facilities and a pleasant environment for being as close as you can be to Dulles Airport. The rooms have always been pleasant with 2 large windows and a divider which separates the bed(room) from the living room area. Very nicely arranged. I've always felt comfortable here though there are other hotels not far which have nicer, wooded area. Its convenient to the airport, the higways, and other nearby restaurants. The only problem I had was with the electrical outlet this past time but that may have been due to the CGFI switch which stumped me. The food is also very good here. I rate everything as excellent here though there may be some other places where the staff are more attentive to your needs but it met all of mine for the numerous business trips I have here.

Room Tip: All are good. The north facing rooms probably have the better view as they look out towards the ai...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for recently taking the time to write a review on our Northern Virginia Airport Hotel. We appreciate you giving us your feedback on your recent stay with us. I'll make sure to have our maintenance department look into the electrical outlet and also pass along your comments regarding our staff. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back during your next stay in Northern Virginia.

Melanie Walent
Grand Rapids, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have stayed here twice now. Both times I was very impressed. There is a free shuttle to the airport. There is also a free shuttle to a nearby shopping center with dining and cinemas. The rooms are all suites and are very spacious. The beds are comfortable. The food at the restaurant is very good. The lobby bar is a nice spot to go for happy hour and have a drink. The staff are all very friendly and helpful here. No complaints. I would stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Let me start out by saying that I have had some very poor experiences at other Hyatts in the past. I try to avoid them whenever possible. However, due to a wedding we were attending at this hotel, we decided to give it a try. Upon checking in (early), the immediately gave us a room and delivered a requested pack and play. As an added touch, they gave us a full travel kit for infants, including baby shampoo, lotion and the like. If you've travelled with small children, you know how special this is. Truly a wonderful touch! Our room was very clean, very bright and highly spacious. They certainly caused me to rethink my tendency to avoid the Hyatt chain. If your travels bring you to the area, I highly recommend this hotel. As a note, the wedding was beautiful, and they did a wonderful job with it as well. I'm typically not a fan of hotel weddings but this property made it quite special!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East
Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport

Been to Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport? Share your experiences!