“Great airport hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great airport hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have stayed here twice now. Both times I was very impressed. There is a free shuttle to the airport. There is also a free shuttle to a nearby shopping center with dining and cinemas. The rooms are all suites and are very spacious. The beds are comfortable. The food at the restaurant is very good. The lobby bar is a nice spot to go for happy hour and have a drink. The staff are all very friendly and helpful here. No complaints. I would stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

366 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Turkish first
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Let me start out by saying that I have had some very poor experiences at other Hyatts in the past. I try to avoid them whenever possible. However, due to a wedding we were attending at this hotel, we decided to give it a try. Upon checking in (early), the immediately gave us a room and delivered a requested pack and play. As an added touch, they gave us a full travel kit for infants, including baby shampoo, lotion and the like. If you've travelled with small children, you know how special this is. Truly a wonderful touch! Our room was very clean, very bright and highly spacious. They certainly caused me to rethink my tendency to avoid the Hyatt chain. If your travels bring you to the area, I highly recommend this hotel. As a note, the wedding was beautiful, and they did a wonderful job with it as well. I'm typically not a fan of hotel weddings but this property made it quite special!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Zeist
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

we recently stayed here with our family (3 kids). The rooms are all very large, so it's easy to add a roll-away bed. The room was clean and the staff at the reception and the restaurant were very friendly. We had a great stay

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I was in Northern Virginia for a week long business trip. I initially booked all 5 nights of the trip at the Hyatt Dulles Airport. After my first night, I knew it was a poor choice. The T.V's are analog (all network channels came in incredibly fuzzy) and the rooms had peeling paint and wallpaper, and were generally poorly kept (read cleaned). Additionally, the sound proofing was shockingly bad. I could hear everything going on in the room above me, and it was almost as if the noise were amplified coming through the vents and ceiling. I cancelled the remaining 4 nights and re-booked at the nearby Hyatt Regency Reston. This property was further from my conference site, but by all accounts, significantly better situated and appointed. I'd like to point out that in all my years of travel for both business pleasure, I have never checked out of a hotel early. The management at Hyatt Dulles Airport didn't seem very concerned about my departure, and my main goal was to leave as quickly as possible.

Also of note, after checking into the nearby Hyatt Regency (2 miles away), I realized that the prices for identical items on the room service menu at the more expensive (per night standard room rate) Hyatt Regency were about $2 less, on average, than than at the Hyatt Dulles. Additionally, the service charge for room service at the Regency was 4% less than at the Hyatt Dulles ($15.00 for a Steak and Cheese sandwich at Hyatt Dulles along with a 22% service charge vice $13.00 for the same item at the Hyatt Regency along with an 18% service charge)

Two days after checking of out Hyatt Dulles, I realized that they had "Authorized" an additional $250 on my credit card. The manager on duty I spoke with attempted to explain it away by saying that they do that to make sure a guest "has enough money to pay for their room" but could not explain why it was for that specific amount. Initially she stated that they authorize $50 per day per guest for possible incidental expenses. When I asked why my card had been authorized $250 for a two night stay, she said that the people who run the cards at the end of the night "Pick an amount that seems reasonable". She was not able to explain the discrepancy between the policy she had previously stated and what was actually authorized on my card. Finally, she didn't seem to think that the fact that the charges had been "Authorized" as opposed to "Charged" was significant. Regardless of the status, two days later the $250 was still sitting on my Citi Bank card as pending. The manager of Hyatt Dulles agreed to contact my card company via fax and have the authorizations released. While she did contact the card company, and did get the majority of the authorizations released, she didn't get them all. I had to call again to have her call Citi Bank back, at which point she was able to fully rectify the issue.

My experience with Hyatt in Northern Virginia has permanently tainted my opinion of their brand and expectations they have of their staff enterprise wide.

Note: To be fair, the manager of the Hyatt Dulles that I dealt with (Kelly) was compliant, and apologetic (after the fact), but it was a case of too little too late. Had customer service and attentive staff been a priority, apologies would not have been necessary.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay at this hotel, I would request a room on the upper most floor (sound).
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
HyattDulles, Director of Sales at Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. I was very disappointed to learn that you did not have a pleasant stay with us. I apologize about the accommodations you recieved and the noise you encountered during your stay. I understand from our Front Desk that we did try to work with you on property and assist in getting you accommodations better suited to your liking. The charge you saw on your credit card was not a charge but simply an authorization that was made for any incidental purchases you may have made during your stay with us. I apologize if our associates did not explain this correctly and I will follow-up with them to address all of the feedback you provided.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights and had a great room, very spacious and well decorated. Nice lounge area which is so nice I had a king size room. Gym was nice which I used. The only thing I did not like was the elevator, they take forever to arrive and are slow. Overall stay very good and I would stay again.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Me and my husband was sent to Hyatt Dulles in July due to us being stranded at Washington Dulles Airport and we were not pleased. We had a horrible day waiting in long lines and dealing with the horrible customer service we recieved at the Airport. When we arrived at Hyatt Dulles we felt right at home. The agents were so helpful and so friendly me and my husband decided that our next trip to the East Coast that we would stay at Hyatt Dulles again. I saw old faces from our first stay I was excited. My husband and I upgraded our room once we arrived to check in to a "pure room" and it was a wonderful upgrade. The breakfast is a little costly but delicous. Our server Wilson was fantastic. He was very quick on his feet and from the looks of it, he's one of the best. Henry I believe was our server while we had lunch and he was fantastic. The agents at the front desk were wonderful as well. Greg was wonderful and helpful. Another sweet person to talk with was Kelly, she was helpful to me and my husband needs. Our stay was great from check in to check out and Meliah was so polite and always welcomed us with a warm smile. She was very helpful with giving us advise on best ways to travel and helped us find things to do in the area. Everyone at Hyatt Dulles is wonderful, I wish me and my husband could take more visits to the East Coast, but whenever we plan our future trips we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Pure suite me and my husband upgraded to was worth every penny. Washington Dulles Airport is not in...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattDulles, Director of Sales at Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thank you for writing such a glowing and thorough review of our Northern Virginia hotel. I was so delighted to read about your experience here at the Hyatt Dulles. It was also wonderful to hear about all the associates that made your stay exceptional. I will make sure to show each of them the feedback that you provided. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back during your next stay with us.

Lexington Park, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

as stated in other reviews this hotel is in need of upgrades and or repairs. The first thing that i would like to say is that my wife and I have stayed at hundreds of hotels from the east to the west, and like everyone else are trying to save money so once again we did priceline. Did great Hyatt dulles accepted my offer on fifty dollars and I felt rewarded...Until the construction continued above our room after 9 pm, continued banging and beating on whatever. Called front desk and was twice put on hold, then busy then called zero and she finally answered. This front desk woman was rude, and offered breakfast buffet in the morning to offset our dissatisfaction which would be a $ 40 dollar value. I accepted and the buffet was totally marginal allthough our server was great and tipped him very well. UNTIL TONIGHT WHILE CHECKING OUR BANK RECORDS AND FOUND $ 39.65 WAS REMOVED FROM OUR CHECKING ACCOUNT. CALLED HYATT DULLES AND THEY SHOWED NO RECORD OF FUNDS BEING REMOVED. HAVE CALL INTO SOME MANAGER AND AWAITING HIS RETURN CALL.. I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT THE FORTY DOLLARS BUT A BUSINESS RUN LIKE THIS IS ON THAT I WILL NEVER RETURN TO...

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HyattDulles, Director of Sales at Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor. I was very disappointed to learn that you did not have a pleasant stay with us. Please be assured that your experience here at Hyatt Dulles had nothing to do with you booking the room on Priceline. I apologize about the noise you encountered during your stay on Friday night. We had an emergency repair that we had to make on Friday evening that was caused by Hurricane Sandy. There is no exception for any of our associates to be rude to our guests and I will follow up with our Front Desk team to address that feedback. Our Rooms Executive, Greg Hischuck, will be following up with you personally about your stay and the money that was charged to your credit card.

Melanie Walent

Been to Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport? Share your experiences!