“A gold standard that is showing some age” 3 of 5 stars

Extended Stay
Ranked #12 of 20 hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Arlington, Texas
“A gold standard that is showing some age”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

The Hyatt in Herndon was my choice for business travel on this particular trip. The hotel is very close to Dulles airport and my company business location. These two features made the rationale for staying here compelling.

My room was a mini-suite, of nearly 400 sq. ft. The living area, composed of a desk, sofa, chair and coffee table, is separated from a king-sized bed area by a low built-in bookcase on which the flat panel TV sits. The TV can be swiveled to face either the bed or the living area, a nice feature.

Upon entering the room, there was a odor that did not seem fresh and clean, making the room smell and feel “old”. The decor was somewhat dated. However, the bed was extremely comfortable. In the corner of the bedroom area was a portable air filtration machine. At first thought, I questioned how bad the air could be if this was needed. However, I later came to appreciate this little device. It kept the air circulating and it provided enough white noise through the night to give me an exceptional night’s sleep, one of the best first nights in a hotel I have ever had.

The breakfast buffet was unremarkable but the staff was courteous and friendly.

Check in / check out was easy and the staff most accommodating.

Generally, this was a good hotel but not great. If this hotel is not to your liking, there are several hotels in close proximity from which to choose just down the street. This is a very competitive area for hotels so choices abound.

Given all the choices for hotels in this area, for my next business trip here I might try out another option. This Hyatt is a good hotel but it just didn’t leave me feeling that this would be my first hotel choice for my next trip.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side of the hotel face Dulles International Airport. Although all rooms are quiet...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

391 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Turkish first
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

My wife and I were looking for a long Labor Day weekend in DC. We booked a room at the Hyatt Dulles for 3 nights. The hotel is relatively close to the Dulles airport and would be very convenient if flying in/out of there. Since we were really going to spend some time in DC, it wasn't very convenient to getting there, but I knew that when I booked. Our plan was to drive to the Vienne metro station, park for free on the weekend, and take the metro into DC. This worked very well. We also saved on the nightly parking charge that hotels in DC charge, so it turned out to be a better deal to stay at the Hyatt Dulles. The hotel is very modern. Staff were very friendly and the room was clean. The room was a good size and very comfortable. Bathroom was small, but clean and manageable. Breakfast was expensive at $20 per person for the buffet, but it was very good. And $20 is pretty much the going price for breakfast in the DC area anyway, so no surprise there. In order to save on the cost of breakfast, I booked the "bed and breakfast" rate. I highly recommend going this route. Parking is free, but this hotel seems to host a lot of weddings on the weekend. This made parking hard to find when returning at night. No refrigerator in room, but since we didn't spend a whole lot of time in the room this was not a problem for us. TV reception wasn't very good, but we didn't spend much time watching TV either. Wifi was pretty fast. Not sure if there is a cost. As a Hyatt Platinum member, I get free Wifi. Overall, it was a very enjoyable weekend at a great hotel and a reasonable price. We will definitely stay here again when visiting the DC area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattDulles, Director of Sales at Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for choosing the Hyatt Dulles for your recent Labor Day getaway. We appreciate you taking the time to write such a kind and thorough review of our Northern Virginia hotel. I was also pleased to learn that you booked our Awaken Package for your stay with us. It is a great value offering complimentary breakfast and complimentary internet. We look forward to you staying with us again in the future.

Director of Sales
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I stayed over at this hotel after returning late from an overseas flight. The airport pick up was helpful, the suite was large and spacious (although they could have used some of the suite's space for a larger bathroom, which was tiny)! The pool was rectangular and long enough to actually swim in (not just for children to play in). Dinner at the restaurant was also pretty good, considering we came in and ordered around 9:30 PM. Despite being close to the airport, our room was very quiet. The only drawback was that there was no one to help us with our baggage, but there were plenty of self-service trolleys that you could use.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the airport where you can see all the airplanes land and take off.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.com. We appreciate the review that you wrote and thank you for the feedback you provided. Hyatt Dulles does offer luggage assistance and I apologize there was no one to assist you. I will make sure to address this with our Guest Services Team. We hope that you will be back to stay with us again!

Directof of Sales
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Stayed here overnight with the family to visit the National Air and Space Museum which is located just up the road from the hotel. The hotel itself is located in what looks like a large business park just beyond Dulles airport. Despite this fact I can honestly say that noise from the airport was not a problem at all. Parking here is free and there is a free shuttle to the airport.

My first impression was that the hotel had a definite upscale look. The lobby is large and the front desk staff seemed friendly enough. Off the lobby is a small indoor lap pool with a hot tub. We didn't have time to use the pool so I can't really comment on that. There is also a gym which is outstanding. The equipment is top notch and far better than the stuff they have at my local gym.

The rooms have an open layout with a small island in the middle for the tv. There is a couch (with pullout bed) and chair on one side of the room and beds on the other. Since we had our 2 children with us we got a room with double beds. Here is where I would caution anyone choosing this style of room. The beds were tiny. In every other hotel we've ever stayed at the beds were more than suitable for 2 adults. If you have a spouse that moves at all in their sleep you will probably wake up bruised. The other issue I had is that the bed seemed to sink in the middle. Not sure if we just had a bad bed but I found this to be very uncomfortable as it really bothered my back.

As others have said, the TV reception is terrible. This really wasn't a problem for us but I don't understand why they would spend all that money outfitting the rooms with new HD flat screens and not improve the quality of the picture first. While there are no refrigerators in the room, there were bottles of water which cost $5 each.

Overall I gave this hotel an Average rating. The price was certainly right and I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again but there really wasn't anything offered that made this property above average. If I could make a suggestion to management, while in-between airport runs, why not offer free shuttle service to the air and space museum?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the very detailed and thorough review that you posted on TripAdvisor.com. We appreciate all of the feedback that you provided on your recent stay at our Northern Virginia Airport Hotel.

We are currently working on upgrading our cable service to offer a crisper picture on our flat screen televisions. I apologize that you did not receive a restful night sleep on our Hyatt Grand beds. I wish I knew what room you were in so we could go check the mattresses. I will look into your concern and see if I can locate the mattress to have it replaced. One last note on your suggestion for shuttle service to the National Air and Space museum. We do offer transportation to the museum, and I apologize if we did not communicate this properly to you and your family. I hope you come back and see us again soon.

Director of Sales
BERLIN, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

We enjoyed easy free parking. Front desk staff was friendly and efficient. Our room was comfortable and well appointed. Perfect for one night with my husband. No in room refridge or complementary breakfast but a comfortable and well appointed none the less.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

Not really all that close to the airport. I took a cab because I got tired of waiting for the shuttle. Not within reasonable walking distance to anything. Guess cabs prefer airport business; we were reduced to using the overpriced hotel run towncar service when going out to dinner.

Large convention space. Grounds are well manicured.

The rooms were awfully nice. At least mine was. It had a separate sitting area semi-separated from the sleeping area.

I like Hyatt beds, and this one was no exception.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Canada, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

We have stayed in quite a few Hyatts, and this one seemed above average. The front desk staff were accomodating to our need for a quiet room, and picked one that we liked on the first try. The hallways smelled positively neutral, not stale or overly perfumed. The restaurant serves a good grilled chicken sandwich, with a bigger cucumber salad than the previous Hyatt at which I had one. The air conditioning in the hotel and the hotel ballroom was good. The bed was excellent, with lots of pillows, and the TV could be moved to see from the bed or the seating area.
One other thing I want to commend the hotel for was that the front desk staff, when prompted for a nearby Italian restaurant that would have a varied menu, were able to recommend the perfect place for us, and provided a photocopy of the driving directions there and back to the hotel. The recommendation was extremely appreciated by all in our dinner party.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport? Share your experiences!