Our family had a 12-hour lay-over at Dulles so we decided to get a room where we could get some sleep after a 5-hr red-eye. We called the hotel the day before and asked about a day-rate; the front desk said it would be cheaper if we booked a regular room and then requested a late check-out (our flight arrived at 6am and our connecting flight departed at 6pm). So, we made a reservation online. Because we are a large family, I paid the extra $10 per night to have two double beds vice the one king bed. Also, I am a platinum member so I expected free breakfast (when I called, the front desk confirmed that breakfast was free for me and one other guest); so I booked the room rate that included free breakfast for all my kids under 12 yrs old (this was $10 more than just the room rate).
When we arrived at Dulles in the morning, we had to wait at the airport for about 30 minutes for the courtesy shuttle to arrive (I can't fault them for the long wait - that's just how the timing worked out (their shuttle leaves the hotel on the hour and on the half-hour)).
Upon arriving at the hotel, check-in was quick and easy and they granted us a late check-out (3pm). Also, since we had just taken a red-eye and were all tired, we were pleased to find out that breakfast that day (Sunday) went until 1pm (that would give us time to sleep before eating).
We piled in the elevator and headed up to the tenth floor to our room. When we got inside, we found that we had been given a room with only 1 king bed. I promptly called the front desk and explained the situation. The receptionist said she would find another room and have a new key sent up. About 5 minutes later, a knock at the door - and we were heading down to the seventh floor to our new room. Success - 2 beds in this room ... but the beds were unmade, and there was trash scattered about the room. This time we went down to the lobby. The receptionist was friendly and apologetic. I told her that we would eat while they got us a new room.
Breakfast was good – biscuits and gravy, waffles, pancakes and eggs made to order, French toast, breads, cereals, fruits, sausage and bacon. We had picky pallets among our several kids – we didn’t have any trouble finding something for each of them to enjoy.
During breakfast, the hotel manager came over to us and told us that she had heard of our problem. She told us that breakfast was on the house; she also told us that she had gotten us a new room and she had personally checked it out to make sure it was ready. She then explained that she would adjust our room rate for the cheapest room rate for that night (which was the rate for the 1-bed room without free breakfast (saving us about $20)). -- A very nice gesture which we greatly appreciated.
The new room was great - and we quickly all sacked out.
When we awoke, I took the kids down the pool. Unfortunately, another disappointment. The outdoor pool was closed - no problem since it was chilly outside and they still had the indoor pool and a hot tub. When we started heading towards the hot tub, the pool attendant informed us that it was broken; my kids confirmed that the water was ice cold. So, we went straight to the regular pool - not as cold as the hot tub, but nowhere warm enough for us to enjoy. We dipped our toes for a few minutes and then decided we had had enough and left disappointed. Also, the pool area appeared to be in disarray - there was some nice pool furniture but all of the cushions and pillows were out of place, I saw old Band-Aids on the floor, and the room just had a dirty/disorganized feel to it. I couldn’t help but notice that the lifeguard/pool attendant just sat there on his phone – why doesn’t he take 5 minutes and straighten the room up, I thought.
On a plus side - the hotel is located adjacent to several eateries. We ordered a late lunch from one the restaurants and ate it in our room before checking out (again, quick and easy). The shuttle was waiting for us and we headed off to the airport.
A few other notes:
- internet was fast and free (it may have been free because I was platinum but I'm not sure)
- the hotel staff was friendly; despite the hiccups during our stay, they were very helpful and attentive
- there was no hair dryer in our room; we called the front desk and they had one brought up
- there was also no coffee pot; we are not coffee drinkers but I couldn't help but notice the empty-looking coffee maker
- the hotel binder (you know the one that has the hotel info in it (i.e. TV channels, restaurant times, taxi numbers, laundry location, ice machine info, etc etc) - it was missing about 75% of the pages. (I realize I'm starting to nit-pick here ... but too many straws will eventually break the camel's back)
I can't say for certain that I won't be back to this hotel ... but I think that I will try another Marriott in the Dulles/Herndon area before I come back here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Washington Dulles Marriott Suites at Worldgate Centre is one of the premier hotels near Dulles Airport. Featuring all-suite accommodations, this hotel in Herndon, VA is located 3 miles from IAD Airport and offers 253 newly renovated spacious guest rooms with high-tech business amenities and separate living areas. Both business and leisure travelers will appreciate the hotel's complimentary shuttle service to and from Dulles Airport. This Herndon hotel is walking distance to dozens of restaurants, unique shops and activities at the adjacent Worldgate Centre. Guests will also enjoy our close proximity to the National Air and Space Museum Udvar Hazy Center, Reston Town Center, Dulles Expo Center and numerous Northern Virginia wineries. For an important meeting or special occasion, our state-of-the-art event facilities and custom catering are perfect for a flawless event. When it comes to hotels near Dulles, the Washington Dulles Marriott Suites makes it easier to get things accomplished on your terms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Odigeo, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Washington Dulles Marriott Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Washington Dulles Marriott Hotel Herndon
- Marriott Washington Dulles
- Marriott Herndon
- Herndon Marriott