“Miserable Start does End Well” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Atlanta, GA
“Miserable Start does End Well”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Decided at the last minute to zip to DC and check out the MLK monument. The weather forecast is that conditions would be good. Not quite! The Baltimore flight I booked was delayed twice because of a mechanical issue. Switched to a DC flight and it was delayed. Got to the city and the weather was overcast. It was great to see all those who'd come to see the monument though. It was magnificent.

However, I procrastinated around Baltimore too long and missed my flight home at 6pm. Always having my emergency backpack I proceeded to look for a hotel near National Airport. The prices even with help from hotels.com, expedia.com and the like were outrageous. Even the bad hotels werde expensive. So I bounced around the Beltway from Baltimore to Fairfax looking for something reasonable. Two hotels at $79 in Fairfax did not give me a comfortable vibe. So after two hours of driving and searching I settled for this one, which I'd seen on the hotels.com website.

I am pleasantly surprised.

Location: It is a good three miles or more from Dulles Airport in an office park environment, which was very quiet since this is a weekend. Other hotels are within two blocks of it, but I saw only one major restaurant. It is still more than 30 minutes from my outbound airport, National.

Outside: The front of the building and the grounds are well kept.

The Lobby: It kind of blew me away for it wasn't your standard fare. It was kind of art deco with a front desk that looked like it was on a pedestal. It had vibrant colors and was very pleasing.

The Staff: A young woman about 28 years old was very friendly and cheerful, even at 1000pm, when I checked in. She provided that matched what I saw in hotels.com (around $80).

Bed: Nice and big was a little bit plush, not on the level though of some premium properties.

The furnishing was decent and office and entertainment desk had the look of expensive cherry wood.

The room was well lit, the carpet was in good condition. The bottom line is though it wasn't my idea of a bargain, I'd gladly stay here again. It ended a day well that didn't start out too well.

Took photos, but too tired (6am flight) to insert them now.

Room Tip: Never get a room close to the elevators or the housekeeping supply closet
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

This Courtyard is fine. The lobby area is the upgraded Courtyard model, but my guestroom was a bit run down and smelled like cigarettes and the gym was a bit old. Breakfast isn't included at this Courtyard either.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

My Mom and I stayed at this Courtyard to attend the Tim McGraw concert at Jiffy Lube Live. We had a room with two queen size beds, a large bathroom with a really nice shower. The A/C kept the room a cool even temperature and the room was very clean. We checked in and went to our room and encountered a problem with the toilet so I called the front desk right away and asked if they could send maintenance up to fix it. (Nothing major, the toilet wouldn’t stop running after it was flushed.) They said they would have maintenance come and fix it but in the meanwhile if we hadn’t unpacked, we could move to another room. Within 2 minutes, the man from the front desk arrived at our door with a key to the next room and also gave us a credit for their “bistro” for breakfast in the morning. (We were able to get scrambled eggs, bacon and toast and it was delicious. The best food I’ve ever eaten in a hotel – the eggs were not runny and the bacon was crispy.) The indoor pool was big and actually warm and the hot tub was relaxing. They also had a lifeguard on duty at the pool and he was very charming. The location was nice and convenient to restaurants and shopping, though I don’t know if anything was within walking distance because we like to explore. Parking was sufficient and the hotel was quiet even though there were some sports teams staying for the weekend. All of the staff that I encountered were very pleasant. We had a great stay and I’d stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
petersam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

Everything at this Courtyard was at least "very good". Everything went smoothly - airport shuttle, check in, clean, comfortable, and properly functioning room, good fitness center, and a good breakfast. The room was clean and had a flat screen TV. Wifi and wired internet were free and worked well. It was fast enough for my email connection, but I didn't try video or anything. Everything worked well in the large bathroom. In the fitness center, the machines worked well. As with most other hotels of this class, they had TVs on the machines, but they didn't get the same cable channels as in the room and were not coded properly with the onscreen display. No big deal. The channels that worked came in clearly, but not with CC. Bring headphones.
Finally, the breakfast was tasty and fast, with several hot options and Starbuck's coffee for sale. The decor was cool, with different kinds of seating for solo and group travelers. Very open, pleasant, and clean.
Oh, and my $129/night rate couldn't be beat!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Stayed at the hotel for a business trip. We stay at Marriott properties almost exclusively and travel weekly. This is one of the nicer Courtyards. The lobby has been renovated - has a hip and modern feel. The restaurant in the lobby is a great place for breakfast or drinks in the evening. The only complaint I have is with the overall feel of the Courtyard's rooms. The lobby leaves you thinking the rooms are going to be as hip as the lobby but they're still the '"standard issue" Courtyard room. Sub par bedding . . . hard mattresses, two sheets with a blanket in between them. Not the hotels fault - but I think this is just standard protocal for Courtyard beds. I'd love to see them "up" the quality of the bedding in the future. Staff was great! Highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2011

I've stayed in more Courtyard Hotels than I can count. This is the first time staying at one with the new lobby concept. The hotel provides free wifi throughout and my room package included a breakfast item and drink. They serve Starbucks coffee and the breakfasts are premade on site in the morning.

Overall very happy with the stay.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Chennai (Madras), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

An elegant Hotel conveniently located from Dulles airport, Washington DC.

Good rooms, pool and gym.

Bit far away from Washington DC for sightseeing and other activities.

The location is serene and tranquill

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Herndon Reston? Share your experiences!