“Posh” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Posh”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

The Westin is a very nice hotel. They pay attention to details and that is very important to me. The room was lovely and spacious (we got a suite) and clean. It was quiet and extremely comfortable.

The restaraunt on site is very nice and the food is quite good. And the bartenders know how to mix a great drink. I challenged one to make me a caramel martini and the young lady rose to the challenge and that was one of the best martinis I have ever had.

The staff, for the most part, was friendly. I got there earlier than expected and they were kind enough to find a suite that was available instead of making me wait. If we needed anything, they brought it up to the room for us.

I only have three small complaints. First, there was plenty of parking, but you have to walk halfway across the hotel from the parking garage to the elevators to the room. Kind of an odd set up and if you're hauling luggage it's a pain. Second, we decided it might be nice to extend our vacation by a day and asked if we could have our room for an extra night. The clerk quoted me a price that was more than twice what we had paid going through expedia.com. He made a point of mentioning that we had pre-paid as if that was a bad thing. We spent plenty in the bar, on room service, and in the restaurant. The hotel was not at full capacity and I felt that they could have cut us a break on an extra night and dispensed with the pre-paid snobbery. Third, the pool was nice but the hot tub wasn't hot becuase they don't turn it on unless you ask apparently. They are a green hotel, so I'm sure that's why, but turning it on at regular intervals to keep it hot might not be a bad idea.

I am staying there again in December. My fiancee and I have booked it for a New Years Weekend. I would reccomend this hotel to friends, family, and other travlers.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
WestinDulles, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, February 17, 2011
Dear Traveltron5000,

Your feedback is appreciated - thank you for taking the time to let us and others know about your experience with us. I agree with you that the parking isn't 100% convenient but it does serve a purpose of ensuring that after parking all guests must pass through the lobby for security reasons prior to taking the guest elevators to their rooms. That said though, we do offer Valet Parking if you wish to simplify things on future visits, at a very modest cost of $10.00 per night with unlimited in-out privledges. Our hot-tub is normally supposed to be kept hot and we will definitely be ensuring this is the case in the future - my apologies.

James McGillivray, General Manager

387 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010 via mobile

For a 4 star hotel. They had a 2 star staff who seemed not to care and were very unfriendly. As soon as you walked in the employees seemed to not even notice you and trying to get someone to answer a question, the staff seemed to be annoyed to answer a question. When I arrived at the check in counter. No one was there, waited for about 5 minutes before anyone asked if I needed help and went searching for someone, finally after another 5 minutes someone came and checked me in. The gentleman who checked me in was not friendly at all. After being checked into my room I went upstairs and walked in, the room smelled like onions and there was still trash and a old newspaper under the chair. There was also a few pen stains on the sheets. I called down to the desk to tell them and was told they would take care of it but never heard anything back. On saturday morning and saturday night I ordered room service, neither time was the food good and for the quality of food it was to pricey. I was very disappointed in the overall stay at the hotel and more then likely will never stay there again

• Stayed December 2010
WestinDulles, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, February 18, 2011
Dear jpie623,

I appreciate your feedback and am sorry to hear we let you down while staying with us. The staff interactions, food quality and room cleanliness you describe simply does not sound like our hotel and I am very disheartened to hear that we ever come across like this. I assure you our goal is to make our guests feel confortable and welcome, and to ensure you are able to enjoy your time with us. I offer you my appologies and assurances that your comments have been heard and we are reacting to them.

Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2010

My husband and I are expecting our first child and decided to have a little "babymoon" weekend getaway, but didn't want to break the bank. For less than $450 total (taxes, gratuity included), we spent four days and three nights at the Westin Dulles (including room service several nights and a dinner at their restaurant). I will say that the staff was amazing. Any issues we had, they were right there to assist. Also, the room was fantastic! The beds there are amazing and we have a very nice 4th story room with a reasonable view. All in all, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who needs a very posh upscale hotel for a very reasonable rate.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear neometta,

I'm so glad to hear that you were able to enjoy a your little getaway with us, and that our associates helped make your stay an enjoyable one. We look forward to the opportunity to convert your little one into a Westin customer for life!

North East of England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2010

Stayed one night before a flight from IAD - the hotel was incredible value for money at around $75, whilst still offering everything a Westin offers. Rooms were spacious with a modern bathroom. Nice fitness room. The restaurant offers good quality food. No minibar but a hotel shop from which to purchase soft drinks. Good service throughout.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear MCMember,

Thank you for your kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed your stopover with us.

James McGillivray, General Manager
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2010

I had a flight that was cancelled and was rescheduled the next morning. I checked online and found this Westin had a good rate for the night and a shuttle from the airport. I had to wait about 2 hours for the shuttle. It was ridiculous. When I got to the hotel I was greeted by an extremely friendly front desk person. My room was extremely nice with a great view of the lake. Except for the shuttle, it was a great hotel.

• Stayed May 2010
Dear bir1222,

I would like to appologize for the issue getting a shuttle to our hotel. We pick up from the airport ground transportation stand (2H) every 1/2 on the 15's so I am not sure what went wrong but certainly do appreciate how frustrating it can be sitting at the curb waiting after a long day of travelling, canceled fligths, etc. Other than that I am glad to here we were able to hit the mark for your reception at the hotel and remainder of your stay.

Yours,

James McGillivray, General Manger.
Fairfax, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2010

I contacted the location today to find out information on holding our Annual Company Party at their location. I was not pleased from the very first phone call. The first person was not very friendly. When I was transferred to the catering department, I gave all my information to someone I thought could help me, only to be transferred to someone's voicemail (which meant I gave all the information again). When I received a call back, I was greeted by hold music (who does that?!) and then hung up on. When I was called back a second time, I gave all the information AGAIN, only to be transferred to another person (who turned out to be the wrong person) and then was hung up on AGAIN. So overall, I probably spoke to 4-5 people and not once did I get any of my questions answered. I guess they did not want any business. There were already too many strikes against them that I did not want to call back, which is unfortunate because it looks like a lovely hotel. Such a disappointment.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear VAMarketing,

I'm very surprised and disheartened to hear of the challenges you had trying to do business with us. Our catering team prides itself in having a very responsive and quick turnaround to requests, and we have had many guest comments and reviews indicating that they typically deliver on this promise. Once on site, catering and group guests have time and again let us know how much they enjoy our facilities, service, food quality and overall experience.

I have passed your comment on to the sales team to reiterate the impact of not promptly responding to enquiries, and we have also done some additional training and educating of associates throughout the hotel to assist in making sure that your first contact is everything you would expect it to be, and gets you to the right place without having to go through the repetition you describe.

James McGillivray - General Manager.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

I booked a night at the Westin Washington Dulles via Hotwire. I didn't know the exact location or even the name until after I booked it. It ended up being about 45 minutes away from Washington DC proper, but that worked out OK for us. Everything else, though, kind of sucked. Or maybe they just need to find someone else to handle their first impressions, because the guy that checked us in is definitely not the face they want to put on their hotel.

I had initially booked a king bed, but called the hotel to request two doubles instead. The gentleman on the phone was very courteous, said it was no problem and confirmed us for two doubles. When we got to the hotel and tried to check in, they gave us a king again. I explained to the employee about my phone confirmation, and he said he had no record of it. He flagged down another employee to help him out. This second employee was so incredibly rude that it put a damper on my entire stay.

He told me that booking through Hotwire doesn't confirm anything, and I had to take what I got. "We can put a rollaway bed in there, if one is available," was his suggestion. We asked if one was available, and he scoffed at us before saying in a very condescending manner, "I'll have to check."

I was so frustrated at this point. We were exhausted and just wanted to go to bed — king, double, rollaway, whatever — so we said, "Fine, give us whatever you have." I quietly mentioned to one of my friends that I rate hotels on TripAdvisor and Hotwire, and the nicer of the two employees suddenly found a room with doubles that had become available. The rude employee walked away without saying anything.

I can see getting this kind of snobbery at a much ritzier hotel in Manhattan, but this place is in the Middle-of-Nowhere, Virginia — their employee needs a reality check.

This was, unfortunately, how we were treated throughout our stay. It seemed like they didn't have nearly enough staff on hand, and the ones that were around were either rude or aloof. We had another incident where my friend called three times to request a lock for the gym locker — the first time there was no answer, the second and third times they said someone would be right up. Nobody showed up. We waited around forever to be seated for breakfast because there was nobody around. With the exception of a very nice bartender at the hotel bar and a waitress who was very sweet and courteous at breakfast, the staff sucks.

It's really unfortunately, because the rooms are nice and the beds are super comfy. The hotel itself is gorgeous, and with a decent staff, I might even recommend it to friends.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear leenafrombrooklyn,

Our goal, training, and belief is that every guest counts - no matter what method you booked your room through. Although we cannot guarantee room types from certain booking sources like Hotwire, we always do our best to meet your needs. My appologies for our team not making this easy for you.

James McGillivray, General Manager.

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!