“Best Bet at Dulles” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington, DC
“Best Bet at Dulles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have used the Westin Dulles to house Virginia Military Institute Cadets from out-of-state waiting for their outbound flights. I have also stayed there on occasion. The hotel desk has been extremely accommodating to the Cadets and me, assisting with their flight arrangements and seeing that they get to the airport on time. It is a very nice hotel with clean, well-appointed and comfortable rooms. The rooms have effective sound-proofing, so tired guests are not disturbed by traffic by the nearby Route 28 or the airport. The staff is friendly and efficient. There is also a very good restaurant and room service. The lobby bar appears to be a convivial gathering place for business executives. For keeping fit, there is an excellent work-out room with a variety of machines and weights, and a lap pool with hours coinciding to the businessperson’s schedule. With their very reasonable rates, this is a top value hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
I am grateful for your return to the Westin Dulles hotel and thank you for your positive remarks about your experience here. As great as it is to have a beautiful new facility here, it is really the staff that makes our hotel what it is, and they strive to go above and beyond to welcome every guest who walks into our lobby everyday.  We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Boulder, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

Normally I really like Westins. It must just be this one in particular, or at least I hope so since I'm traveling a lot for work this year.

This hotel is advertised as having free wifi and a swimming pool. In fact, you have to pay for the wifi, and the swimming pool is only open a few hours a week. They claimed some legal excuse for this about lifeguards but that turned out to not be true.

There was also a huge amount of noise in the hallway on my floor at night when I was trying to sleep. I called the front desk to ask if they could ask the hallway partiers to take it inside so I could go back to sleep. About twenty minutes later the front desk woke me up themselves by calling to ask if I had the room number of the people in the hallway.

I recommend that you avoid this hotel at all costs.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We do offer many rates that include wifi but we do not advertise free wifi throughout the hotel although we do offer free high speed internet in our lobby and complimentary use of our business center.

Due to Section 69.1-3-8 of the Fairfax County Code of Ordinances here in Virginia a lifeguard is required by law effectively limiting the hours of operation for our pool. I understand this can be an inconvenience so we try to keep our pool open during peak hours. However, effective Memorial Day our new hours are 9 am to 9 pm 7 days a week.

I'm sorry for the trouble experienced during your stay as our mission is to satisfy each and every guest that walks through our doors. We hope that you will give us another chance in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Westin Washington Dulles Airport hotel staff is always a pleasure to work with, I have been coming there annually for about 4 years. The customer service at the front desk, bell service and food staff is awesome and the food is good!

Room Tip: Ask to stay on the side with the view ot the beautiful lake.
Green Features: Everyone is very friendly, which make the hotel environment relaxing!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, May 23, 2014
Thank you for your review. I was absolutely delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your complimentary comments. We do hope to welcome you back very soon.

Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I was here for a convention event, so I spent the weekend in the hotel. Willingly gave me early check in and an hour late check out. Very clean, comfortable, modern furnished room. Friendly and attentive staff throughout the hotel. Fresh and abundant hot buffet breakfast in the comfy and bright restaurant. I did not use the pool or exercise facility. Convenient and complimentary parking garage. One complaint: there is a charge for wi-fi. Boo.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback with fellow online viewers. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Westin Dulles and your comments were wonderful to read. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Overall, the only hard product that made this hotel a Westin is probably its lobby. I kind of don't see the "heavenly bed" here. I tend to rate this hotel 3 stars but the hotel staff really stepped this place up.

First of all, for all these "standarized" "westins and Sheratons", they are all pretty much the same. The only thing I would value/differentiate a westin over a Sheraton is their bed. I always get a better sleep on Westin beds and I appreciate the "heavenly bed".
But for this Westin I don't get that sleep. The sheet is like plastic, the bed is not comfy enough, and my mom and I did not have a good enough sleep.
The hotel lobby is gorgeous and big, so one may expect well. It didn't catch up with the hard product in room, however. The pool was so-so, the whirlpool was not very hot, the room was standard...

But I can't give this hotel 3 stars. I would so like to give them 5 stars but it's more like a 4 1/2. All because of the great hotel staff.

I have made 2 reservations with this hotel within a very short amount of time, one is a priceline booking to get my in-laws from IAD. I was well impressed by the staff at that moment already -- They got a 7th floor room and warm welcome on that day. Usually you just get a cold tone when they say "it's prepaid via priceline" -- These people didn't. Instead, they gave them high floors and a quiet room (Unfortunately my wife told me that the bed was "not so good" as well, and I boasted about heavenly bed in front of her)
The 2nd time was via regular SPG. I already booked the Sheraton Premiere that day with my mom, actually, but I can't beat one more stay (towards my upcoming Plat) with SPG Hot Escape posted them for $60/night. So I dragged my mom here at 10 am to see if I can put the luggage here and check in at ~12 (gotta go to work at 1). To my amazement, they checked me in at 10 AM and also offered me late check out...WOW, that's more than YOUR24 sir...I had to decline the late check out since there is no need to, but, they seriously solved my problems and gave me a lot of advantages because of their friendly gesture. It may be a small thing to them but means a lot to me!

Anyways, I always find Westin Staff really attentive, warm, and extremely nice, and this one particular. They really stepped this hotel up, and I think management played an important role here.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Westin Dulles. Please accept my sincere apology about the beds. We will certainly look into it and make sure they are up to heavenly standards. We take great pride in delivering excellent service and comments like yours assures me that we are on the right track. We do hope to welcome you back very soon.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Im not here to make the hotel look bad. Im here to give the hotel a chance to improve their service. We were on our way to visit Dubai for the summer and we decided to stay at the Westin Hotel. I have to say they have poor customer service. The service was not as expected from a well known hotel. I lost my door key and I had to wait for about 20 minutes for the receptionist to help me in getting a new key card. And what really got on my nerves is the fact that the receptionists were chatting with each other rather than giving me their full attention. It also took them 45 minutes to get us new towels. I mean common its a hotel not a gym or a health center. I just hope you guys improve because honestly and coming from a frequent Dulles airport flyer, I will not be considering Westin for any of my future reservations. Thank you for your time.

Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your review. I was so sorry to read your comments and I would like to start by offering you my personal apologies for the inconvenience you have undoubtedly been caused as we truly take pride in our guest service here at the Westin Dulles. . I will certainly follow up your comments with both my Front Office Manager and Staff, so that it does not happen again. I would really appreciate you giving us another opportunity as I would like you to experience the Westin Dulles as one should. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Be Well, Be Westin,

Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

This hotel is a Westin so it has all the benefits of this chain. This hotel has a free shuttle to and from the airport and is easy to use. The people are very friendly and is very close to Dulles Airport (IAD).
The only down side is that there is very little else around the hotel. But if you are flying into and/or out of Dulles - this is the place to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
HotelMngerGM, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, May 14, 2014

Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!