“A good experience tainted by a rude employee” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, GA
“A good experience tainted by a rude employee”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

The Westin Washington Dulles Airport is a beautiful hotel. It is well maintained, comfortable and has EXCELLENT food. It's biggest drawback is the location, it's tucked away near some apartment complexes and is a bit of a drive to get anywhere. But if you don't need to be within walking distance of restaurants and other destinations, this really isn't a big deal. I encountered 3 employees while I was there. The attendant that checked me in, a waiter at the restaurant for breakfast and the gentleman that checked me out. In a nice hotel like this, I would expect all of these interactions to be top notch, but unfortunately my check in experience was terrible. The check in attendant made me feel unworthy to be in his hotel from the moment we started talking. He was cold and very snooty. Additionally, when he ran my credit card for incidentals, it was declined. At which point he blurted out very loudly and with a nearly mocking tone of voice "The card is declined." He did not handle this situation with any tact or discretion. It was quite embarrassing. I later checked my phone to see that AmEx had texted me to check and make sure that I was actually in Washington, DC before approving any charges there. After giving him a different card and getting my room keys, he gave me no instructions. He did not tell me what time to check out on Sunday or anything about the restaurant or other amenities. He simply pointed towards the elevators. My interactions with the other employees at the Westin were both very pleasant, but this employee really ruined my stay. The hotel is great besides that experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Mr. Baril,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay here at the Westin Dulles. I am sorry to hear that one of our Front Desk employees soured your otherwise great experience here. I have already spoken with that associate directly about how every guest who walks through our doors must be welcomed with open arms. He was truly apologetic for the mistake, admitting he was "off his game" and will make sure it never happens again to yourself or any other guest.
I am truly proud of my staff here at the Westin and the standards we upheld in our guest service so I will take it upon myself to ensure this is an isolated incident. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will give us another chance in the near future.

Be Well, Be Westin.

Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Fremont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

I recently stayed at the Westin - Dulles Airport during a business trip and I was statisfied that it lived up to the expectation I had for a Westin property. We took the hotel shuttle from the airport back to the hotel which was a ten-minute drive; the shuttle comes about every 30 minutes on the hour and half-hour. At the hotel, the lobby was nicely done and the rooms were good and roomy. We had dinner in the hotel which was fine. Not outstanding but no complaints. The breakfast bar in the morning was good with a wide variety of cooked and continental options. We used the conference facilities at the hotel for our meetings and they were good, though expensive. All in all, it was a good stay and a hotel I would use again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the water for a nice view of the office park.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Shikhar B,

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your experience here. Being an airport hotel, we do our best to provide a relaxing experience where you can also get some work done if you so choose. Thank you for sharing your experience with fellow travellers on TripAdvisor.
Be Well. Be Westin.

Greenville, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed here in June for a business meeting. This hotel exceeded my expectations for a Westin, it felt more like a Ritz for Four Seasons property. The facility was impeccable, but the staff really stood out as being very friendly and helpful. The morning of our meeting, there was a staff member giving everyone a friendly good morning greeting and offering to help us find our way. Very impressive and unexpected.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear heel5man,

We appreciate you choosing us to host your business meeting. We regularly have management presence in our lobby greeting our guests as we never forget the importance of staying in touch with our guests as we are very aware that our guests know our hotel better than we do and we are eager to hear your feedback. Thank you for noticing.

Wahington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Having been assigned to a different location for the past 6 months it was a pleasure to return to the Dulles Weston for another stay.

The property was as well maintained as ever and the staff is even more on their game. As a business hotel this property is at the top of the class. The restaurant consistently great meals, They are more that happy to prepare dishes that are not on menu. Ask and you shall receive.

The location is great for spending a night when returning on a late international flight.

Room Tip: Go for one with a view over the "lake"
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear AFB17,

I am grateful for your return to the Westin Dulles hotel and thank you for your positive remarks about your experience here. As great as it is to have a beautiful new facility here it is really the staff that makes our hotel what it is, and they strive to go above and beyond to welcome every guest who walks into our lobby everyday.
Thank you for your inspiring feedback.

Altadena CA, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Perfect location, free and convenient shuttle from IAD, HEAVENLY BEDS. It is everything you want for a good rest before a long flight! We rested well here on our flight from Los Angeles to Entebbe, Uganda.

Room Tip: The airport shuttle pickup is downstairs from baggage claim!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MichaelD330,

It is great to hear you enjoyed your stay here at the Westin Dulles. Many of our guests stay here just for a night before a long flight like yourself. We offer extremely quiet rooms throughout the hotel with our Westin Heavenly Beds to provide a very relaxing experience for our guests.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hotel was very comfortable, not glamorous but nice and good value for the money. I didn't realize it was this far away from Washington but it was ok. There was a nice swimming pool with lifeguard at all times and a lovely women's changing area with showers, plenty of supplies. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were spacious and clean, typical of Westin.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Karen,

Thank you for sharing your experience with fellow travellers on TripAdvisor. It is great to hear that you, like so many others, were satisfied with our signature Westin Heavenly Bed. Also, our housekeeping staff understands that cleanliness is the number one expectation of our guests and they go above and beyond to keep that standard high. Thank you for recognizing their efforts.
We appreciate you choosing our hotel for our stay near Dulles Airport and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Virginia Beach, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I held a business meeting at this hotel and I can assure you we will never visit this hotel again! Terrible customer service, unable to get even one food, drink, beverage order right! Bedrooms were average. The hotel and catering manager did try and make amends at the end of our stay and I do thank him for that however the damage was done over 3 days.

Room Tip: Get a room at the end of the corridor. We were half way down the hallway and all we heard were door...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear KS5050,

Thank you for your feedback. I am aware of the issues during your conference here in March and I am sorry again for the below standard service you received.
I can assure you however that I took it upon myself to meet with our Catering and Banquets Manager at that time to ensure this never happens again to yourself or any other guest. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future as nothing makes us happier than to make up for a bad experience. We take pride in our service and I hope to have the opportunity to prove that to you.

Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!