“Purely business” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 20 hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Purely business”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is an out & out business hotel so do not expect ANY tourist stuff. They don't even serve dinner in the dining room on a Saturday. You also cannot walk to anything. It's miles from anywhere. They will if they are not busy take you in their shuttle to the nearest mall. It's like believing in the middle of nowhere.
The rooms are nice & modern with all the usual facilities but I paid for wifi before finding out it was free if you ask for the password. Why not tell at check in?
Do not expect tourist concierge service they don't even know where the hotel I is, never mind give you a map,
So if you are on business, have a car you will find this a 4 star hotel but not at the weekend.
BTW the bar food is over cooked.

361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Herndon, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed here for a one night local get away. We live close by and have talked about it since it opened.

Positives:

As others have stated - staff is very friendly. Hotel is exceptionally clean. And it is in a beautiful surroundings. One item I really likes was the design of the shower door, it swung in instead of out. Meaning the floor stayed much dryer. Small thing but I appreciated it. Westin heavenly bed is better here than the one in Ballston for some reason.

Bar staff was very friendly, and the service was good.

Neutral:
The restaurant was closed on Saturday afternoon and evening, meaning you ate at the bar or left the hotel. This hotel is not right next door to other locations to eat, so this was an inconvenience. There was an event that evening - I presume they did not have sufficient staff to handle the restaurant and the activity. That just seems odd. The food was ok, nothing special. My wife had the steak salad, described it as very bland. I had the Salmon, it was nice, but not special. The cheese plate appetizer was ok, one of the cheeses was not very good, but overall it was fine. Drinks again were nice. Next morning the buffet was open in the restaurant, had the same experience of others, staff that seemed to not care as we stood at the entrance for a couple minutes. However, once they chose to give us attention - they we excellent. Training or assignment of someone dedicated to seat people I guess is missing. Buffet itself was nothing special. Very similar to others in the area. Fruit was VERY good though. Fresh all the way. No omelet station, so it was just scrambled eggs and bacon and so forth. As I said - nothing special.

Very Negative:
Nothing.

Overall it was a nice hotel, very clean and friendly staff. Bar staff is attentive and friendly.

We are mixed on coming back for a local get away as if the restaurant is closed we are stuck driving to dinner. Since from other posters this appears to happen often, I am not sure I would want to stay here. But if you need to be near the airport and want a very clean hotel - this is a good place.

Room Tip: All rooms have nice views if you move up. Lake view is nice, airport view would be nice too.
Green Features: Seems very clean and welcomes pets. They allow you to turn off extra shower heads to save water.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was here over the weekend during my transit. Great hotel for a short overnight stay. We came in late at night already(1am) and the staff is was very lively and welcoming. The hotel was clean, modern, quiet--doesn't even feel like an airport hotel. Our room faces the small lake, imagine how beautiful it was during the morning sunrise. Being an airport hotel, this property lies parallel to the airport's runway. Don't let that scare you, there were no airplane noise at all!! The bed was so comfortable I didn't want to get up. I would have stayed in it longer if I didn't have a flight to catch. Nice 5 minutes ride to the airport. We will stay here again anytime!! Again, well done Westin!

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the lake in the front---beautiful!!
Cary, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was highly impressed with the Westin hotel. The room was extremely luxurious and clean. The staff was incredibly helpful. The bed was amazing. Neither myself or my fiancé wanted to get out of it. The dual head shower was a real treat. The final thing that made me love this hotel was the view I had from my room. It was really nice.

I do have two complaints though. How is it that I can go to a Comfort Inn or some other lesser brand hotel and get free WiFi yet here I have to pay. That seems a little backwards. I understand that this is a luxury hotel but in 2013 WiFi has become a little more that just a luxury. Please address this.

Secondly I was slightly disappointed with the breakfast. The food tasted really good but I was hoping for $15 there would be some kind of pancakes, waffles, and/or French toast. I understand the hotel tries to put forth a healthy living message but I wouldn't say bacon and sausage fits that description (both of which were present).

All in all, this was a fantastic place to stay and despite by relatively minor complaints, I would most definitely stay there again as well as recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the odd side of the hotel. You will end up with the best view.
Green Features: The hotel is rather modern so it has the features that make any modern building green.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I needed a place to stay near Dulles on very short notice. I expected the Westin to be more than my budget could handle. Not true. I had an exceptional room. Experienced great service. And paid less than I'd expect for a generic brand. Spectacular value!

• Stayed August 2013
dar es salaam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Great airport hotel that is consistent with westin standards. Surrounding area nice peaceful overlooking small lake.

Front desk not very friendly. They didn't offer my free reward gift for being a gold member. I had to call them after checking in to recieve free internet.

Aside from the front desk, clean, modern and well run hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Gurgaon, Haryana, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

At $180 before taxes it is quite a pricy hotel. Although it is well placed for office's in Herndon and distance from airport. I did not see any attention to customer service beyond a good morning and how was your stay.

Pain points: Westin refused to provide me rooms in corporate rate $50 more than what my team mates were staying at the same time, that too in upgraded rooms and with corporate complimentary benefits

Worse after escalating I got a cold shoulder treatment that there is nothing we can do and not even extend corporate benefits.

They had to be repeatedly reminded to give me back my clothes from Laundry after it was misplaced.

Internet was very flaky and working from hotel room might not be feasible at times.

Once it slipped my mind once in hurry to tip a waitress.To my shock I was reminded when I walked back in to provide a tip to my non-complimentary breakfast, it was pretty unprofessional to ask.

Good points: The Restro-bar waitress was pretty excellent with service, hotel is newly built and definitely has a good ambience to it..

Room Tip: Choose a lake facing view..
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Sid1404,

Thank you for your feedback. It is certainly disappointing to hear about your experience as we truly take pride in our guest service here at the Westin Dulles. Please feel free to reach out to our Corporate Transient Sales Manager, Shauna, regarding your rate as she would be more than happy to inform you of the best rate possible for you.
I promise you I will address your feedback with the rest of our staff to ensure you or any other guest do not have the same experience in the future.
If there is anything else I can do for you please feel free to reach out to me directly.

Yours in hospitality,
Linda Tierney
Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!