“Not bad but some flaws” 3 of 5 stars

Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 20 hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York
“Not bad but some flaws”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

Fine for traveling from airport, but a few flaws like broken lightbulb in room, stains on blinds, loose fixture in shower. And a few of the gym machines are not functional. Could use better upkeep. Service was mixed but overall ok. Average overall

• Stayed August 2013

385 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

My family always stays here. It's convenient to Dulles, new and clean and offers great amenities at a reasonable price. But all that ended today after the surly woman at the front desk was incredibly unhelpful. I asked if she had rooms available for my dates and she sounded bored and said "Yeah, we have lots of rooms," as if I was an idiot to ask. Then I asked what the cheapest rate was for my night and she gave me the figure. I asked if that included taxes and she sounded annoyed and said no. I told her I had seen an online rate close to that which included taxes and fees. Again, in a very annoyed voice she said "Yeah." When I asked if she could match that (a pretty typical conversation I've had with front desk people at plenty of hotels) she again sounded as if I was wasting her time and said "Uh, noooo. Probably not." When I said I should probably just book online (again, something I've said to countless front desk people) she replied, in a very condescending tone, "Go for it."

Go for it. Hmm, I don't think so.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Dear cyanez123,

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry for the less than welcoming experience you received from our young lady at the front desk. I can assure you that I have already sat down with her to remind her of the importance of making every guest experience comfortable and truly special.
While I can assure you that your experience does not reflect the excellent service of the rest of our front desk and other hotel employees. I will take it upon myself to bring her up to speed.
Thank you again, I promise you it will not happen again to you or any other guest.

Yours in hospitality,
Linda Tierney
Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel
Marlboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Love the bed best. But overall I also love the bathroom. Love the shower. Love the location. I am just not a fan of the Starbucks coffee tho. Got the room for $50 on the weekend thru hotwire. What's not to love???

• Stayed July 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Our family (my 2 year old son, daughters 10&12 and my wife and I ) were flying out of Dulles Airport last Sunday. So we booked in Friday and Saturday so we could see some of Washington DC before departing. We'd booked the Friday because we were arriving Sarurday at 11 am and check in is only from 3pm, but our little son needed a nap before we could go to town. Because the room was needed on Friday, it was cancelled free of charge, without our requesting it. How about that. Beyond that, without exception, this was amongst the friendliest hotel staff we have ever experienced anywhere in our extensive travels all over the world. Check my profile - I don't post here that often, even though I am in about 20-3o different hotels a year - it's simply too much bother to post "ok". The service here, from bellhop to reception, to exchange, to lifeguard, to bar, to room service, to housekeeping, to restaurant was friendly and engaging everywhere. Couple that with fair prices and it just makes it worth the 15 min shuttle ride (every half hour also with a friendly helpful driver) away from the airport. I will from now on always prefer Westin hotels because of the great stay we had here. And I am critical - really.

• Stayed July 2013
studio city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here because it is a Westin. We wanted to stay in a decent hotel before our long flight to Africa. And because we stayed on a Saturday night, we got the weekend special low rate. And the hotel did not disappoint us. We had a quick check-in and quick check-out. We utilized their shuttle service to Dulles Airport. This hotel has Starwood Preferred member floor, the top floor. I always requested the top floor because I am a light sleeper and hearing someone walk wakes me up. Since I am a Starwood Preferred member, I got my wish.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed with my husband for one night. Check in was simple. John at the front desk was not overly friendly but wasn't rude either. He seemed like he was having a bad day. It happens. Moving on...here is the breakdown:

Hotel: Very nice and clean hotel lobby and common areas.

Location: Tucked away but very close to Interstate 95

Service/Staff: Nice enough. Room service staff was nice but they did get both orders wrong.

Restaurant: Didn't eat there but did order room service which I believe came from Padella's (on site restaurant). We each got a cheeseburger. Mine was extremely DRY even though I asked for it medium. Breakfast was worse! Eggs were powdered, 'maple' (didn't taste like maple to me) sausage was disgusting, has browns were not edible. TERRIBLE food!

Room: The room was clean and the bed was VERY comfortable. There was a refrigerator which was nice. Bathroom has a huge shower but the ceiling in the shower had a big wet spot and looked like it was getting moldy.

Parking: Free which was a plus.

Overall, a decent place to stay for one night. Definitely not up to Westin standards though.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stumbled into this place because of their great weekend rate -- better than anyone else in the area including the cheap brand properties! Hard to believe but I'm a shopper and it's true. But then I thought "you get what you pay for" - - how wrong was I??!! From the time we checked in until the day we left (3 days later) it was bliss. So much so that I wrote the general manager of the hotel to compliment all the staff we came in contact with. We ate every meal at the hotel because we couldn't imagine a better restaurant than they had -- prices weren't excessive either.
Chef they have working there is over the top -- place is immaculate clean and staff is 5 star all the way. It's obvious they have great interviewing and hiring practices -- couldn't find a person with a sullen personality on the whole staff -- truly a fun place to stay. Bed comfort is 5 star, food is great, pool is a bit small as someone mentioned but who cares, gym is clean and modern and always available, shuttle is free to airport, breakfast is buffet and for $15 a great deal for all you get. Don't miss this one on the weekend rate -- during the week it's a business hotel and rather crowded from what the staff say . . . on weekends, it's like a boutique hotel -- quiet and a great getaway!

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeview -- nice fountain shooting up day and night.