“Good choice” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Good choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Our family (my 2 year old son, daughters 10&12 and my wife and I ) were flying out of Dulles Airport last Sunday. So we booked in Friday and Saturday so we could see some of Washington DC before departing. We'd booked the Friday because we were arriving Sarurday at 11 am and check in is only from 3pm, but our little son needed a nap before we could go to town. Because the room was needed on Friday, it was cancelled free of charge, without our requesting it. How about that. Beyond that, without exception, this was amongst the friendliest hotel staff we have ever experienced anywhere in our extensive travels all over the world. Check my profile - I don't post here that often, even though I am in about 20-3o different hotels a year - it's simply too much bother to post "ok". The service here, from bellhop to reception, to exchange, to lifeguard, to bar, to room service, to housekeeping, to restaurant was friendly and engaging everywhere. Couple that with fair prices and it just makes it worth the 15 min shuttle ride (every half hour also with a friendly helpful driver) away from the airport. I will from now on always prefer Westin hotels because of the great stay we had here. And I am critical - really.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
studio city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We stayed here because it is a Westin. We wanted to stay in a decent hotel before our long flight to Africa. And because we stayed on a Saturday night, we got the weekend special low rate. And the hotel did not disappoint us. We had a quick check-in and quick check-out. We utilized their shuttle service to Dulles Airport. This hotel has Starwood Preferred member floor, the top floor. I always requested the top floor because I am a light sleeper and hearing someone walk wakes me up. Since I am a Starwood Preferred member, I got my wish.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Stayed with my husband for one night. Check in was simple. John at the front desk was not overly friendly but wasn't rude either. He seemed like he was having a bad day. It happens. Moving on...here is the breakdown:

Hotel: Very nice and clean hotel lobby and common areas.

Location: Tucked away but very close to Interstate 95

Service/Staff: Nice enough. Room service staff was nice but they did get both orders wrong.

Restaurant: Didn't eat there but did order room service which I believe came from Padella's (on site restaurant). We each got a cheeseburger. Mine was extremely DRY even though I asked for it medium. Breakfast was worse! Eggs were powdered, 'maple' (didn't taste like maple to me) sausage was disgusting, has browns were not edible. TERRIBLE food!

Room: The room was clean and the bed was VERY comfortable. There was a refrigerator which was nice. Bathroom has a huge shower but the ceiling in the shower had a big wet spot and looked like it was getting moldy.

Parking: Free which was a plus.

Overall, a decent place to stay for one night. Definitely not up to Westin standards though.

Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stumbled into this place because of their great weekend rate -- better than anyone else in the area including the cheap brand properties! Hard to believe but I'm a shopper and it's true. But then I thought "you get what you pay for" - - how wrong was I??!! From the time we checked in until the day we left (3 days later) it was bliss. So much so that I wrote the general manager of the hotel to compliment all the staff we came in contact with. We ate every meal at the hotel because we couldn't imagine a better restaurant than they had -- prices weren't excessive either.
Chef they have working there is over the top -- place is immaculate clean and staff is 5 star all the way. It's obvious they have great interviewing and hiring practices -- couldn't find a person with a sullen personality on the whole staff -- truly a fun place to stay. Bed comfort is 5 star, food is great, pool is a bit small as someone mentioned but who cares, gym is clean and modern and always available, shuttle is free to airport, breakfast is buffet and for $15 a great deal for all you get. Don't miss this one on the weekend rate -- during the week it's a business hotel and rather crowded from what the staff say . . . on weekends, it's like a boutique hotel -- quiet and a great getaway!

Room Tip: Ask for a lakeview -- nice fountain shooting up day and night.
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed here on a Friday for an early Saturday flight and it was great. The on site restaurant had a great burger and beer deal which was perfect. The hotel is in great condition and meticulously clean. One possible drawback was the small pool which was packed with kids but it dint bother us. Airport shuttle makes it easy to get to flight in ~10 mins. Everyone we talked too at the hotel was professional and friendly, especially at check-in and in the restaurant. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I stayed here with the mister for a quick night away from home to just relax and hang out. Very nice service; check in and check out was super quick and all the staff I encountered were very polite and kind.

The beds are called "heavenly" and they are! Wish I could take it back with me.

Don't forget to order some room service!

Oakland, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

My kids and I were on our way home to the San Francisco area when an airline accident at SFO wreaked havoc on many travelers' holiday weekend plans, including ours. We scrambled online at midnight to find a nice comfortable place to sleep for a couple of nights while we waited for flights that could get us at least close to home. We luckily decided on this Westin. It's close to the airport. The staff are very friendly and helpful. It has all the amenities you'd expect of a Westin. The beds are very comfortable. You'll get wifi. There's a decent sized work out facility. There's a small pool you kids will appreciate (if they're young and small). And it's fairly inexpensive. When you're weary from travel and thrown for a loop with unexpected delays, you want to treat yourself well without breaking the bank. This place does the trick! I'm hoping not to be stuck in the Dulles area again, but if I am, I'll be returning here.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Kim T,

Thank you so much for your kind words about your experience here at the Westin Dulles.
Indeed many guests stay here on short notice when their flights are cancelled at Dulles Airport. We instinctively prepare for this by offering all the amenities that would help make your stay comfortable including complimentary toothbrushes, toothpaste etc. as the airline may still have your luggage.
Thank you again for your feedback Kim T and we hope to see you again in the very near future. Be well, be Westin.

Yours in hospitality,
Linda Tierney
Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!