“Very nice property” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Owings, Maryland
“Very nice property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stayed at this hotel due to business I had at one of the local offices. Drove to the location as I live approximately 70 miles away. First, let me say this has to be one of the oddest locations for a hotel. It sits off of the main road behind some apartments/condos. You better have a GPS to find it because you will never see it otherwise. That all said, the area was very nice. The hotel was well-kept. The staff friendly and my room clean. As I drove, I had to park in their parking garage located behind the building. My only complaint with the garage was that it was too dark in there. They should consider some better lighting for safety reasons. But the garage was easy to enter and exit and they have an elevator to take you into the hotel. If I'm being picky, I wish the doors from the parking garage to the elevators would open automatically. Nothing like having your luggage, laptop and bag and then trying to open the doors while watching for the "mugger" that could be lurking in that dark garage.
As for location, I've already noted the hotel was built in a really odd spot. I kept wondering how they could zone residential and commerical like this but I guess VA has their own rules. For my purposes, this hotel was great because I could walk over to the office building of the company I was visiting. No need to drive my car there. The office park has built their own mini-lake with a water spout in the middle. I had a nice view of the water from my room. I could see the walking path around this mini lake and upon arrival decided to walk around just to get my bearings for the next days meeting. Well, wouldn't you know, the building's security officer stopped me while in the parking lot of the office building and asked me my business there. He was very polite and not threatening, I just found it unusual that he thought to stop and question me. Well, when I told him I was at the Westin and had business at the building that week, he said I was "OK" to walk the area but guests of the hotel in general are not allowed. As well, this walking path is NOT for those who live in apartments/condos that also sit next to this lake. What a shame but I guess the business pays for it so they set the rules and they just need the security to ensure none of the "neighbors"/hotel guests are walking on their path. So, if you are visiting at the Westin and not on business at the offices across the way, don't get tempted to walk around the lake path as you may get stopped by their security.
OK, on to food. Big note, there is NO WHERE to eat within walking distance except for the hotel. The first night, I just ate dinner at the hotel and the menu is very limited and very much overpriced. So disappointed by them. I never understand why hotels don't go more out of the way for better options but I guess in this case the Westin figures they have a captive audience for those who don't have cars and they are stuck with whatever food/prices they offer. Although I didn't use it, I do understand the hotel offers a shuttle to take their guests to various places around Herndon, which would include some restaurant options. I'm not sure how this works in regards to when you get picked up, if you call, or are there just scheduled times but something to check out if needed.
Last general issue, why can't house-keeping staff even speak a "smattering" of English??? I'm not asking for perfect English but a guest should be able to make a simple request that is understood without going through a 10 minute game of charades. It is typically my habit to not use house-keeping for short stays. I just request extra towels for the few days there. Well, I happen to catch the housekeeper as I was leaving my room the first night and was trying to ask her for some additional towels. Her poor eyes glazed over at me as if to say "OMG, what does this woman want". The housekeeper was very polite while we both went through the motions of figuring out what the other was trying to say. I truly think this was a moment for America's Funniest Home videos. Anyway, I got the extra towels and this poor woman probably never wanted to talk/mime to me again.
It may sound like I'm complaining more about this hotel than recommending it, but I'm not. It really was a very nice hotel with a great location for my purpose. I would gladly stay here again as it suited me just fine.

Room Tip: Get a room that overlooks the mini-lake if you want a nice view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

361 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay, just a well kept and attractive hotel. Great bed, clean and fresh. Great staff! So why does a high end hotel that offers so much make pay a fee to use there wifi? I can get free wii at a coffee shop, I don't stay at a Westin cause its cheap, so why trouble me with a separate charge for what budget Hotels provide for free?

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Rwill97,

Thank you for your compliments and feedback about your experience.
I understand your frustration with the $9.95/24hr internet charge. Larger businesses and hotels (Westin Dulles has 314 guest rooms) usually charge more for internet because it is more costly for bandwidth and maintenance costs to provide high speed internet access to the modern guest who often has an iPad, laptop and smart phone all connected at once.
We truly appreciate your feedback as we are constantly analyzing ways to provide the most enjoyable stay possible for our guests.

Yours in hospitality,
Linda Tierney
Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

had the opportunity to spend three nights at this hotel while visiting family in leesburg, it was just wonderful, from the doorman to housekeeping everything was just perfect.The room was clean, bright, and the bed was HEAVENLY!!!Dinner the first night was very good, great choices, and the breakfast choices on all three mornings was excellent. A big thank you to Julio our waiter on all three mornings who was very attentive, friendly,and patient with us. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning to spend time in the area. The Manager of this hotel should be very proud of their staff, with the great job they are providing to their guests.

Room Tip: room facing the pond nice view in the morning
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Had to grab a hotel room for a quick night's sleep. Actually thought I had called a Sheraton since WIFI at Dulles was iffy. From the confo email, I saw I was at the Westin. Didn't like that the hotel pick-up and drop-off was at the end of the terminal but the ride to/from the airport is about 10 minutes. Little delay in checking is since the booking I did over the phone hadn't reached the hotel but my confo email made it easier for the front desk staff. Room was quiet and the atmosphere was what I needed - a big, fluffy comfortable bed in a soothing room. Great shower with 2 heads and a chamomile tea and to sleep. Up and out early ... not there long enough to see but the view from the room was over a lake. Quiet neighborhood and don't recall hearing too many planes.

Room Tip: Room with a lake view
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Southern CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Being stuck at Dulles due to weather, I dreaded staying at an airport hotel, but the Westin Washington Dulles Airport proved to be much better than the average airport accommodation. Our room was pleasingly furnish and quiet. Since it was late at night we had to eat in the bar, which was forgettable and the coffee shop was closed when we left very early, however the room was nice and the staff helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

An airline put us up in this hotel due to mechanical issues with a plane that forced us to miss a connecting flight. We could not have been more pleased with the Westin. The room was very quiet and the bed very comfortable. My wife now wants me to install a double-head shower like this hotel! The staff was very friendly and welcoming. Overall, a wonderful stay under unexpected circumstances.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I've stayed here on 2 occasions. Both times found this hotel to be clean and professional. Parking is free. They do some large events in the ballrooms on the lobby level so can get a little loud down there. Close to airport but not right near it so there is no aircraft noise (but it is a little bit of a drive). Nearby mid range restaurants--a fairly good selection. This is one you may get if you roll the dice and name your price on an internet site for this category in this location.

Room Tip: Cookie cutter modern rooms so all standard per category you book.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!