“Very Good Rooms + Great Staff = A Good Choice” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Dallas, TX
“Very Good Rooms + Great Staff = A Good Choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Checked in for a quick overnight with a business associate...a 3 year old property that's been kept up very well. Clean rooms and a very large, comfortable lobby. Free garage parking and often there's on-street parking available in the apartment community that surrounds the hotel. Reston Town Center with dozens of restaurants is a 10 minute, easy drive. The staff were very friendly and professional...as a Platinum, I was welcomed warmly, had my status acknowledged and asked if I had any special preferences. There was a group in the hotel so there were no upgrades available given our mid-evening arrival; in truth, I don't think there are many non-standard rooms in the hotel anyway.

Room was the typical Westin design but modern and clean...step-in, over-sized shower but no bathtub in the room I was assigned. There is no Club Floor (very surprising for a Westin preoperty of this calibre) but I was offered complimentary access to the breakfast buffet in the lobby restaurant. Even free, this was less than "Westin-standard". The hotel had a group in the hotel that day, and they overwhelmed the hotel breakfast. Nothing was replenished and there was very little on display. Staff didn't seem too aware...let them know, and they sprang into action...ales and front desk staff came over to help. They cleared tables and helped bring the buffet back to a "respectable" state. It was kind of impressive but shouldn't have happened...someone should have set up a special breakfast for the "group" in a function room or something, so regular guests could be accomodated.
QUESTION: Why don't they try to set aside the best rooms in the best location for elite SPG guests? And why do Westins and Sheratons that have groups booked-in for one or two nights feel that it is more important to assign their best rooms and upgrade these guests who have likely not been there before (and likely never will again) instead of their loyal SPG users? I heard another guest asking the same thing when he was told that the King room he had reserved months ago, was "unavailable due to a large group in the hotel"? A little advance planning coupled with today's technology ought to be able to minimize this sort of thing.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel and convenient location to major highway restaurants and local businesses
Would be nice if they had an executive lounge for frequent platinum Starwood guests but I know not all Weston's have them
Would definitely stay here again
The front staff were very welcoming and friendly upon check in

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and enjoyed it very much.Service overall was very friendly and helpful anytime we used them for anything from reception check in, to bell desk ... To breakfast ...
Rooms are very specious and cozy.Best part for me and my wife was the bed is so comfortable huge -simply amazing !
Bathroom really big too
Over all I recommend the hotel
Bad part for me nothing around for fun
Also taxi you need to wait long time
If you would like you to party in Washincton DC it's 60$ by taxi
In the area it's nothing there - it's conservative kind of.
There is a pool and sauna
Was empty nobody there
Water in the pool was warm ...
I was in 817 room which had very good view and very close to the elevators which we loved
Look for good price on Internet
Hope you lucky to find good deal for this wonderful hotel

Norman, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

The more I stay at The Westin the more I like it. In every stay, I've had great reception from the staff. The rooms are clean and the bed is super comfortable. The Westin staff definitely know how to treat and take care of their guests.

• Stayed April 2013
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Marjan P,

Thank you very much for your kind words regarding your stays here. We take pride in the fact that our staff genuinely cares about each and every guest and does everything possible to make their stays enjoyable.
We especially appreciate our most loyal returning guests such as yourself. Now that you have come to know the property and staff, please do not hesitate to reach out to me if there are any ways we can make your next stay even more enjoyable.

Linda Tierney
Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel
linda.tierney@westinwashingtondulles.com
Salem, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

My daughter booked this room at a great rate. I had low expectations, but it was one of the mixes rooms I've stayed in! Comfortable bed, TV with too many premium channels, shower with two heads, nice amenities. Minor inconveniences (door key didn't work whe I first arrived, big restaurant was closed at 7pm, and close-by restaurant choices are very limited) didn't detract from this very nice room. I'll be looking for Westin hotels in future travels.

• Stayed March 2013
Vermont
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Laid-over by a delayed flight, we were placed in the Westin Dulles (Herndon) and were absolutely pleased following our stay. Our state-of-mind was one of exhaustion, yet all the details of our stay went smoothly. The shuttle to the hotel was efficient (however, there were unknown guests on the back of the bus along for the ride and I really did not like this - about 4 people sat in the back of the van silently with hoodies over there head.. however... one we got to the hotel all was OK). Lobby was gorgeous. They obvious spent effort to make this property attractive. Lots of security presence, which was concerning at first. However, front desk staff was friendly, helpful, accommodating and just perfect. The sculpture by Kerry Vesper at the check-in desk was over the top beautiful (I asked about the artist, which is how I know the name). There seemed to be a lot of staff members hanging around for security reasons (my thought), around the hallways upstairs at the elevators, but they were a presence, cleaning staff?, security? a question mark. If I were management, I might want to know. As a guest, I asked myself what the reason was? But, despite this question, we were happy and slept well. Rooms were spacious,very clean, well-appointed. Internet worked fine. All in all, just perfect till we got back on our itinerary. Hot breakfast buffet was somewhat predictable, but really, just right and well-appointed. Staff in the restaurant was friendly and efficient. Many thanks. I was pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

This is another fine example of a SPG hotel. Parking is free. Check in was easy. The staff very accommodating. My first room was on a low floor with a view of a wall; however, with one quick call they moved me to a much nicer one. My two issues are:

This hotel is located in a pseudo commercial residential area near the airport with NO access to offsite resterants or stores. Be prepared to drive if you want anything other than food served at the hotel. It is very close to IAD.

My room was clean the first day I arrived (was there for 7) but then the cleaning service went down hill from there. The first day.. Good. Second day..I left several times for more than an hour each time and the attendant never showed up. She even saw me leave twice. At 6 pm when I got into the hotel for the night.. She knocked on my door. The last day the attendant cleaned but by that I mean she made the bed. The coffee was not replenished. The bathroom not cleaned.

Overall a good hotel that I will stay at again. They can't change the location and I'm hoping the house cleaning issue was a fluke.

• Stayed March 2013

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!