“Great Stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Great Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Had a very nice stay here after long international flight. Just missed the shuttle bus so I had a long wait in the cold and the wind, but things got better after I arrived.

Good room. Clean and up to date. Platinum status got me a breakfast voucher and the service and food were very good. Had an unexpected but most welcome offer of a to-go cup for my coffee as I left the restaurant.

Will always come back when I am at Dulles.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I stayed here with my family the night before a flight out of Dulles. We took the 6 am shuttle, it worked out great. The front desk staff was super nice and helpful. They gave me a business card so I would have the number to call when we returned. The room was nice, clean, and spacious. There was a mini fridge in the room. The hotel is located in what appears to be a residential area, there is really nothing to walk to around the hotel, but they will shuttle you to the Reston town center if you want to go for dinner. There is a bar and restaurant in the hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed here for one night as we had an early morning international flight. Great staff, nice, clean hotel. Rooms were extra large and could accomodate all our baggage (family of 4 headed back home overseas after Christmas) and extra large bathroom. It is a bit removed from things if you do not have a car but very close to the airport if that is your goal. Nice restaurant on site (did not have time to try breakfast) but the menu was almost a bit too gourmet. We were hoping for some more basic, American dishes before heading out - possibly something that would sit easy on the stomach before a long flight to Asia. Would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

The relevant text from my angry email:

One night all my toiletries were thrown away. I know, minor nuisance. You replaced my toothpaste with about a quarter of a tube, my toothbrush with a low quality temporary brush and my deodorant with a different brand about a quarter of the size. An annoyance, but I probably should have put them in a drawer instead of leaving them on the bathroom counter.

Until the next night when I get back to my room and everything that was in my top drawer (top right, directly below the TV) is no longer in my drawer. This time it is the little deodorant you just gave me, my apple headphones and a tube of prescription skin cream. I called the front desk and was sent another small deodorant, a pair of low quality headphones and promised 1000 Starwood points. Not an ideal situation, but when I have a plane to catch at 5 AM there really isn't a lot of time to belly ache.

I went through everything in my laundry and luggage one more time to make sure it wasn't my imagination, or I hadn't forgot moving the items from the drawer. No luck.

Until the next morning when I remember that my car keys were in the drawer. At this point I couldn't stay and wait for someone to come and figure out what happened with my keys or I would risk missing my flight back home to San Francisco (I am writing this from the interairport shuttle). Included on my key ring is a VPN token for my computer. This alone will cost $150 for my company to replace it.

Replacing my car keys will cost me $200.

More importantly, I stay at the Westin because of what I perceive to be industry leading service. I now have to rethink this.

I expect at least one night of my stay to be credited back to me and a call from the manager of this property explaining how this could have happened. More than anything, I want my keys back... Though that isn't going to happen before I land in San Francisco and have to figure out an alternate way home.

• Stayed January 2013
Greensboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Now, I'm definitely, not bashing this place, because I truly like this property. Not my fav though. Watching this property being built back when I lived in Northern Virginia was more exciting than staying here. Most of my past clients who strayed here mentioned the same quirks as I did.

1. Funky location: nothing within walking. If you do want to go somewhere, be prepared to wait for the shuttle - even if you scheduled a time.

2. The rooms are very nice, clean etc - but very very "CRAMPED"...no space for your STUFF :)

3. Bar/Lounge Area a little...spooky. Was looking for 'Lloyd the Bartender. (from the 'Shinning) Ok, exaggerating a bit - well my husband was - he arrived the night before me. And he's a Mortician so, I'll take his word on that. **Very pricey on the drinks too**

4. Restaurant: Looked attractive, menu was available but the server didn't want to offer a menu. Breakfast Buffet and they wanted you to help yourself...but 'EVERYONE was - and it didn't look pretty afterwards. So, I ordered the Eggs Benedict & tea (a $4.25 tea bag) and the eggs were barely warm. But my breakfast was less than the 'Buffet. Go figure. $12 vs. $18.

5. Now, I'm a pet owner and pet lover. This is a pet friendly hotel and I think that's wonderful - but the hotel needs to enforce some restrictions. Like, put a leash on them!! Don't allow them to run up and down the hall ways - if the pet owner does this...then HE/SHE sleeps in the car.

That's the my Top 5 reasons for a 'One Stop & Flop. Don't take this the wrong way - cuz I liked this property...but I'd stay at the Crowne Plaza around the corner - it has a Houlihan's Restaurant, Movie Theater and a dozen other restaurants across the street. AND, no pets.

-Lynne Houston

Room Tip: Ask for a corner unit at the end of the hall - they're usually a little larger.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Lynne H,

Thank you for your thoughtful remarks about your recent stay here, it cannot be overstated that we truly value our guests' feedback and we use that feedback to improve our hotel and hotel service.
We realize that besides the best restaurant in town (our in-hotel Italian restaurant Padella) the local restaurants are not within walking distance. For this reason we do have a shuttle that is available to take our guests to local shopping centers and we even have a scheduled shuttle at 6:30 pm and 8:45 pm to the local Reston Town Center which is a beautiful mall with many fine dining restaurants.
We take a lot of pride in our Padella Restaurant and Lounge and I have already discussed your comments with our Food and Beverage Director to ensure we deliver the Westin service to each and every guest.
It's great to hear that you like our property Lynne H and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Linda Tierney
Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I selected the hotel because if offered a special package for visitors to the nearby Air & Space Museum: room, breakfast for 2 and shuttle to/from the museum. The price was attractive so we took a chance. Excellent choice!

Pros:
1. Spacious, comfortable room with extra large bathroom, first rate towels, 2 excellent queen beds.
2. Starbucks coffee.
3. The free wifi is good for email and basic connectivity, not video. The faster wifi is extra $.
4. Breakfast buffet was fresh and varied.
5. Pool, fitness center and sauna are excellent.
6. Staff was excellent.

It's hard to say anything bad about the hotel. The restaurant is pricey at dinner. If you want a sandwich or something simple, sit in the bar area for different menu.

I would definitely repeat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear MarcNewYork37,

It's great to hear that you were able to take advantage of our Air&Space Museum promotional rate. We indeed have a shuttle that runs to the Udvar-Hazy Air&Space Museum three times a day (10:15 am, 2:15 pm and 5:15 pm) available to all of our guests. Just about everyone has a great time at the museum whether it be to catch an IMAX movie or experience the extensive aeronautical history that it offers.
I appreciate your kind words about our many amenities Marc and we look forward to having you here again in the near future.

Linda Tierney
Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel
Elizabeth, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This hotel was really worth every penny. It was beautiful and very comfortable. Lovely rooms and lobby.
Everything was clean, staff was very helpful, there was great food!
My boyfriend and I stayed here on a whim. It was last minute and we got lucky finding a deal on Hotwire. I'm so glad we did:)
Westin, we will return!

• Stayed December 2012

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!