“Adequate. Needs better trained staff.” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Adequate. Needs better trained staff.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for an overnight layover at Dulles. For an airport hotel, I would say this property is above average, but inferior to other Westins I have stayed at. However, it met basic requirements of cleanliness and modern amenities.
My biggest complaint was with the competency and professionalism of the front-desk staff. Upon check in, I was interrupted so that staff could discuss the score of the world series baseball game. More importantly, I was not offered the "welcome gift" of free in-room wifi or bonus starpoints. When asked about this, the front desk clerk incorrectly told me that free wifi was not available for gold-status members. In addition, a room-upgrade was denied to me even though I know (based upon the SPG app on my smart phone), enhanced rooms were available. Finally, upon check-out, the front desk clerk was "multi-tasking," attempting to check me out and reserve a cab on the phone. This same clerk also tried to convince me to forfeit a cab that I ordered for myself and give this cab to another guest.
In summary, the Westin Dulles would be considered adequate as an airport hotel, but would only recommend it if you are able to get a competitive rate or have SPG points to burn.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Traveler644,

Thank you very much for your feedback. I am very disappointed to hear your report about how you were treated during the check-in and check-out processes by our Front Desk staff. Our staff usually does a great job of remaining professional and always giving undivided attention to our guests. I will most certainly address this with our Front Office Manager, Sean Holcombe, to make sure that he addresses your concerns with his staff.
If you have more details about who you spoke with specifically or even which day and time it was, feel free to e-mail Sean at Sean.Holcombe@westinwashingtondulles.com so that he can speak with that associate directly.
Thank you once again for your feedback, it allows us to improve our hotel service.

Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Madison, Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I had a crappy day trying to get home from Dallas to NY. I got stuck overnight due to the airlines issues and was given a voucher for the Westin. Now, normally I would not write a review like this, but I am fed up with this crappy customer service.

my credit card was taken for "incidentals", but I was told that I would not be charged for anything since I checked in after the restaurant and vending area were closed. I even have a reciept to prove a zero balance when I left after only stayin in the hotel for 5 hours to get back to the airlines. I am all checked out with a 0 Balance only to get my CC statement that they charged me $100.!!! Now, NO one from the Westin is calling me back so that I can get this charge taken care of! I have left 3 messages and I am going to be fighting the charge with my CC company.

But feel that this kind of run around should stop! I have the 0 balance reciept..... This is also from a stay on 10/5, so now 20 days later I am still having to deal with it. Just take this as a warning, nicer is not always better when you stay away from home... I have never had this problem while traveling for work with other hotels in the holiday inn, marriot, crowne plaza family.

Room Tip: Dont stay here if you get the vouchers from an airline at the DC Airport. Apparently the vouchers ar...
Dear BadgerFan2402,

I am sorry to hear of your trouble with the billing issues you experienced here. First and foremost, I can assure you that the $100 charge you see on your account is only a hold since the airline is paying for your room and tax. I realize that it has been weeks since your departure, however often times with debit cards the hold can take weeks to be released. We release holds on our end as soon as our guests check-out but the banks often take much longer to release the holds depending on the individual bank policies.
Please feel free to call our Front Office Manager, Sean Holcombe, at his direct line, 571-485-4401, to further assist you with this issue.

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I chose this hotel because I'm an SPG frequent flyer and I had an early morning flight from nearby Dulles Airport. For those in similar situations, this hotel is a very solid choice. Shuttle service to the airport runs every half hour, the rooms are new and fairly spacious (although my room lacked a tub and was smaller than experienced at other new Westins in the area--adding in a crib would have been tough). Price was fine (can't imagine there's a lot of demand on Sundays in the outer burbs). Best feature was free self-parking in the parking garage.

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Enjoyed th proximity of the Westin Dulles to the airport and my field office. It was clean, updated and had an excellent lobby bar and restaurant. They made me feel at home and remembered me when I returned to the restaurant. The service was excellent and the food was delicious. My room was lovely, clean and updated. Parking was free and it was only minutes to the airport or Reston Town Center for more dining options. Buffet breakfast had many choices that were delicious.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear seattle98166,

I know it sounds cliche but we truly do value your feedback. Our guests know us better than we do and we use all feedback, positive and negative, to improve our service and our hotel overall.
It is great to hear that our restaurant staff remembered you as our staff makes a concerted effort to get to know each and every guest and make them feel at home. We are very proud of our italian restaurant, Padella, and our restaurant staff.
Thank you very much for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the future even if it means you will just be dining here instead of staying here

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Just got back from a 4 night stay and I have to say great value for the money and excellent service. Was upgraded after checking in because of SPG gold and was happy throughout stay. I ordered room service as well and it was fast and really delicous. I would stay here again on my next stay in DC. For the money you save quite a bit instead of staying in town and the service is not compromised. Great job to the staff at this Westin property!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Stavanger, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Stayed here after a thunderstorm with following lost connection at IAD, what a great surprise. First; fast shuttleservice with great service, upon checking in we got a lower! rate than we were given on the phone. Beautiful, large rooms, comfy beds and all very clean!
The resturant served a great breakfast buffet, maybe a bit pricey but; great service, the refills came unbeliable fast......

I have to mention the shuttle service again, fast, reliable and serviceminded drivers!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I should start this review by noting the exceptional check-in experience afforded me by "Ramzi" - who took several minutes to diligently search, locate and re-activate my gold status Starwood Preferred Guest number and status. Gold members get a choice of rewards - one of which is free wi-fi so this got my stay off on the right foot.

I ate from room service and at the hotel bar. The bar food was exceptionally good, fresh and clean fried oysters, a housemade cauliflower au gratin, great salads and a good selections of taps left little room for complaint on the food side of the house.

The room was a Westin room - complete with excellent bed and double shower head bathroom.

The hotel has a smallish pool - probably 20-30' long, but adequate for doing breast stroke laps.

Probably a 5 minute trip from Dulles airport.

Very clean. Can be a little busy if there is an event and you have to take two elevators to access your car in the attached, and free, parking ramp - a minor inconvenience given the savings and overall high standard of this hotel.

Will definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Tutweiler,

Thank you so much for your generous comments. We take pride in that all of our associates consistently go the extra mile for our guests and Ramzi is a reflection of that. We also appreciate your kind words about our Padella restaurant. Our Executive Chef, Luca Demarchis, keeps our quality of food at an extremely high standard for all of our outlets, including our Italian restaurant, Padella.
Thanks again for your feedback and please let me know if there is anything we can do to make your next stay even more enjoyable.

Westin Washington Dulles Airport Hotel

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!