“Very nice hotel, but hard to overlook my bad experience with the staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Westin Washington Dulles Airport

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersSilver level
Richmond, VA
“Very nice hotel, but hard to overlook my bad experience with the staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

The hotel itself is very nice. It's clean and modern, and the rooms are comfortable and quiet. It's even in a nice location -- next to a beautifully landscaped pond area. There are sidewalks around the lake and through the nearby condos and office buildings, if you like having a place to walk. You would not know it's right next to the highway and airport, because you don't hear the cars or airplanes. The weekend rates are fantastic, and the breakfast buffet was excellent (although expensive). I didn't use the workout room or pool, but both looked wonderful. The workout room is much larger than the usual hotel workout room, with multiple treadmills, weight machines, free weights, balance balls, yoga mats, etc.

But our stay started out badly, and that left me with a less-than-positive feeling about the place. Our plans for our dog fell through at the last minute, so we had to find a hotel that allowed dogs which was convenient to our concert venue. Before making the reservation, my husband called and asked about their dog policy and if there was a weight limit. When he asked whether there was a weight limit, the person he spoke to said "I don't know - 70 or 65 pounds." Our dog is 65 pounds, so we went ahead and made the reservation. He indicated on the reservation that we were traveling with our dog.

When checking in, I told the guy at the desk we had a dog. He said there was a 50 pound weight limit and a 3-page waiver to sign. I explained that our dog is 65 pounds but we were told over the phone that the weight limit was 65-70 lbs and we made the reservation there BECAUSE they allowed dogs. He said he would ask for an exception and he went to the back room for a very long time. The other guy at the desk said they had a lot of new people and they didn't all know the policies. After waiting for quite some time, the first desk guy came out and said he got approval for an exception to the weight limit. But by this time I was already pretty stressed about it and ready to demand that they honor what we were told over the phone. They weren't at all apologetic for the inconvenience or the wait.

I did not feel that my dog was welcome or that my business was valued, even though I am a "Starwood Preferred Guest".

That said, the weekend rates are a great deal for a very nice hotel. Our room rate was less than half what we had planned to pay for a hotel closer to Jiffy Lube Pavilion -- and it was a much nicer hotel.

If you are traveling with a less-than-50-pound dog, it's a good place to stay because there are plenty of sidewalk areas to walk your dog.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Labnut,

I appreciate your kind words about the hotel facilities and surrounding area. We take pride in our relatively new 2.5 year old hotel next to a beautiful pond.
Your experience at check-in definitely concerns me to which I have already addressed with my staff. It is true that all Westins have a policy of not allowing dogs heavier than 40 pounds, dogs heavier than that are at the GM's discretion.
Therefore, I have informed my Front Desk and Service Express Team that we will NEVER turn away anyone in our lobby with a dog. Additionally, they have been told to not even hesitate to allow any and all dogs, no matter the size or weight.
I truly apologize for the less than welcoming experience you had at the Front Desk. I hope that you will give us another try and I hope that you will bring your dog the next time as well. We even have dog beds and dog bowls available upon request. Feel free to reach out to me if you wish to stay here again so that I can do something special for you the next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Booked this hotel through hotwire at a really good price. I was not sure what to expect when I got there because of the mixed reviews here but I ended up having a really great experience. The hotel was a bit hard to get to although you can see the building from the highway. The lobby was very modern and nicely set up and the staff were all very pleasant. The room we stayed in was very clean and well maintained and my kids enjoyed our view of the pond and the fountain. We had issues with the bathroom but they were able to fix it quickly. The beds were very comfortable and we enjoyed the free starbucks coffee in the room. We were able to use the pool and appreciated that there was a lifeguard on duty (I rarely see this in hotels I've stayed in). We also used the business center and had no problems. Overall, we loved our stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear djeriz,

It is great to hear that loved your stay so much. I understand that our hotel is a bit hard to find but if you call the hotel at 703-793-3366 our Service Express agents will be more than happy to give you detailed directions. I'm glad you were able to take advantage of our many great amenities and facilities as well. Please feel free to contact me if you have any requests to make your next stay even more enjoyable.
Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed at The Westin Washington Dulles before flying back to the UK. It is in an excellent location with my restaurants nearby if you do not want to eat in the Hotel. The hotel itself was excellent, staff friendly and amenities first class. There is a swimming pool and spa for your enjoyment, an excellent bar and restaurant. Our room was spacious with excellent facilities. A superior hotel in my estimation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Chesterfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at the Westin Dulles Hotel as a stay over to go back home to Michigan from Myrtle Beach. We got a wonderful deal with Hotwire.com. We were blown away with how beautiful the hotel was - and how clean the facility was. We found that it was very luxurious with a beautiful bedroom, furnishings and bathroom. The towels were so soft as was the beds. We were pampered the entire evening. The bar downstairs was hopping with people. The staff was friendly and the pool was amazing. What a wonderful way to spend a night - I would definitely recommend to stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Linda T, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Cathy S,

We take pride in the excellent value we offer and I'm happy to hear you were able to take advantage of that. Thank you for your positive feedback regarding our clean facilities, our housekeeping team works hard every day to keep our 2 year old hotel looking spotless and still brand new.
Thank you for your comments. Your kind words truly motivate our staff to go above and beyond for each and every guest.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed at Westin for 5 days in JAugust 2012. Had a very pleasant stay. Lovely room, bathroom. Very clean. Close to the airport and nearbly shopping strip. The only downside there is no clubroom and walls are thin, could hear my neighbour coughing, watching tv etc. Overall, a very nice stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

A very nice airport hotel. Super clean, great bed and linens. Staff, to a person, were especially friendly, kind and helpful.
Two disappointments: no drinks and snacks in the room, despite a price list; and the restaurant is currently closed on Saturday and Sunday nights so meals are served in the bar. I found the menu a bit odd - not a salad to be seen - but the food was actually very good.
It was a treat to find very fresh fruit available for breakfast. I'd stay there again, for sure.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I enjoyed my short stay at the Westin Dulles. The front desk clerk was friendly. Loved the bed and bathroom. It is very close to the airport. The only bad thing was that the shuttle driver did not help me pick up my luggage and just watched me struggle with it. The hotel was very clean and in a nice area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herndon
Hyatt Dulles at Dulles International Airport
Washington Dulles Airport Marriott
Candlewood Suites Washington, Dulles Herndon
Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel
Crowne Plaza Dulles Airport Hotel
Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!