“Nice hotel, but not easy to get too...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Complimentary Breakfast
Ranked #11 of 20 hotels in Herndon
Arlington, Virginia
“Nice hotel, but not easy to get too...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

Overall, the hotel was a nice modern hotel. The GPS route that I got was non-obvious, and difficult to navigate. (The town of Herndon has build a bad road system where a 4 lane highway turns into a 1 lane highway in a few feet, then it goes back to a 4 lane road.) That said, most of the staff was nice, except for one rude bufete server person. (It happens in any large organization.) After the trip I called the lost and found department, and they quickly determined that the lost item was not at the hotel (which was a good thing, because we were able to locate it in our car instead.)

382 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Property is very nice. Some staff is very friendly, some are aloof. I really liked one of the bartenders, a black male w/ dreads. He really made evenings enjoyable because of how friendly he was and genuinely interested in providing great customer service. The happy hour w/ half price small plates was a great option, and the bar was large and well lit, good for solo business travelers like myself. Breakfast could use a lot of improving, and I wouldn't even bother w/ the room service breakfast as the best part of it was the orange juice and water. But dinner and dessert at the bar were great as I stated. Rooms are very clean, and quiet as long as there aren't school groups (which I had a couple of nights). Inevitably they run up and down the halls. But I couldn't hear people in the rooms next to me. I had a workout room the first time (stayed two consecutive weeks) and that was so awesome, convenient to have a treadmill in your room, so get that if you can, though I think they told me there are only 3 in the whole hotel. Wide selection of cable channels a plus, great soap and lotion (some hotels have awful toiletries), rooms smell good (something they must use when they clean), towels are nice, gym is very nice...I'd definitely stay here again when in the Dulles/Herndon area. I will warn that the Heavenly Bed is very...use lumbar pillow they provide if you're used to a firm bed like I am.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor facing lake if you can get it.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
WestinDulles, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Dear althotelcritic,

Thank you for your kind feedback and dedication to our hotel. The bartender you reference has been with us since opening and is truly a staple in Padella and a joy to have around - I'm always glad to see that energy and interest reflected in reviews!

Shortly after your stay with us we re-vamped our breakfast buffet and have been getting some glowing feedback on our varying specials of the day as well as some of the new presentations and options available. Perhaps you may find it more to your liking on your next visit - please don't hesitate to ask for me if you have any further suggestions or feedback if you do stay with us again.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

I am usually easygoing person and I’m the last one to complain about anything, but I have never had such a horrible service as I received at Westin hotel. It’s happen first time to me when the service off the hotel lies to me/us. My wife and our friends decided last minute to visit Washington DC during the cherry blossom festival. I've decided to book the hotel online via Hotwire. The reservation was for four-people/ one room. It was Sunday early in the morning around 1:20am when we reached our hotel destination.
When we arrived in our room, we quickly discovered that the room has one King Bed only and according to hotel stuff supposed to accommodate four people. Young lady from the front desk blamed the Hotwire says” that’s “what happened when you are using search engine like Hotwire because they can’t guarantee your request ”. After few minutes of blaming each other she had offered us another room with the Queen Bed but we have to pay the full price for that room. When (assistant front office manager Mr Holcombe finally shows –up, he told us that he doesn’t have anything available and he could offer only the roller bed. (Not even 15 min ago we could purchase another room with no problem, what a liar!!!
One of my friends could not resisted anymore and asked him the name and his position to contact with the HQ. After this fact his attitude change dramatically, but believed or not he still wasn’t able the simple say “I’m apologized for the situation, we will make sure we will fix this ASAP” The manger seemed to be annoyed to answer any more question and finally offer us another room. This time he said, “It was the incident in that room and you will discover smell off the cigarettes”. When I walk away my friend come back to ask him one more question when he heard, no, it wasn’t “goodnight “or “Apologize” he told him “Enjoy” with smile on his face. What an attitude?? BTW, the room was fine and we didn’t smell anything. Another lie!! Please, give me a favor and DO NOT stop in this hotel in spite the fact this hotel itself is very clean and modern.
The front desk staffs, were unprofessional and will not willing to go the extra miles to fulfill customers need.

Room Tip: Please don't lie to the customer
Dear Soccer_US,

I am sorry you encountered such a difficult check-in and felt we were deceiving you. Having looked into the situation there were clearly misunderstandings between our associates and your party, and we did not meet your needs in an efficient and timely manner. Regardless of the source of booking our aim is always to ensure you are comfortable and happy when staying with us - a goal we clearly fell short on during your stay.

Please accept my apologies and my assurance that we are working to ensure experiences such as this do not occur in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2011

Hotel was brand new, very clean and tidy. Was traveling for my birthday, staff was so nice at check in and sent up sweets to my room! Would reccommend to anyone!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear silvercandiez,

Happy belated birthday! Thank you for your glowing recommendation.

BANGALORE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2011

This was my first visit to US and i was picked up by Hotel shuttle from Airport. Driver was very polite as i was the only person in his big van but he took me immediately to hotel and i checked in to the hotel.Best hotel @ that rate. It was $125/night including breakfast and internet. best in class

Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Dear Amit2106,

Thanks for the glowing feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2011

Stayed at hotel for a conference. Check-In went smoothly and the room was great. Everything worked and I had no problems, until trying to check email. I can't believe that the Westin is going to charge me a fee for something that Holiday Inn Express gives for free. I couldn't believe it. The free "email check" at 128Kbs was insufficient to even download my email after 20 minutes. This made my stay just short of exceptional.

Overall, a very nice hotel. I had pleasant experiences interacting with the front desk and bar staff. The place is a little tucked-away, but this is Herndon after all.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
WestinDulles, General Manager at The Westin Washington Dulles Airport, responded to this review, March 11, 2011
Dear SLUdog99,

Thank you for the feedback, and I am glad you were able to enjoy your stay with us. I am sorry that the free "low bandwidth" option for internet in your room was insufficient, but would like to let you know that in the future should the opportunity arise to stay with us again, we do offer complimentary high speed access in our lobby and bar area. Many people chose to utilize that service to update e-mail and keep up to date whithout the full in-room paid service when they are just looking for a periodic update.

General manager.
Leesburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2011

Loved this hotel. It's quiet and romantic. Nice big bed; great shower...beautiful views from our West Facing Room of the sunset....even loved being able to see the airplanes taking off.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear runningtravel2010,

Thank you for the feedback. People often indicate to us how they are pleasantly surprised at the views from our hotel, considering we are in a corporate dominated airport location. It can be nice to get a little bit of tranquility in the middle of a lot of office buildings!

James McGillivray,
The Westin Washington Dulles Airport.

Been to The Westin Washington Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!