“Nice City Reston Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 20 hotels in Herndon
Maryland
“Nice City Reston Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

This is perhaps the nicest Sheraton in which we had stayed. The staff was incredibly nice and helpful, the room was small, but well appointed and comfortable, and the lobby area open and beautiful. The breakfast, which was an additional charge, presented an incredibly well-balanced and diverse selection. Next time I would take the club room that it costs me about 30 dollars more.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
IAD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

I've stayed one night before flying out of IAD. I've encountered several problems with staffs. I agree with some of reviews pointed that staffs are not prepared with the opening of this hotel. Upon check-in, I requested 4pm late check out as my member benefits, but the front staff insisted 2pm is the latest check out time. When I explained spg membership, she seemed to agree with me but she ignored and did not make any note in my folio. I ordered two breakfasts and food quality was par below. This may be because restaurant is not fully opened yet in this property. Then, I was surprised delivery man just entered my room all the way to the window desk even if I pledged to leave it near room door. Anyway only one coffee cup was prepared with small coffee pot. I am sure I paid for two. Few minutes later in the morning, I got a call from front desk. She just said "Your credit card is not good...(silence)" I needed to step down to show another one. I left comment card with these incidents when I checked out. I don't think the front staff properly took care of the card. When I contacted sheraton online feedback coordinator, General Manager of this property was disappointed with these but that is all. I expected minimal apology. Overall, I believe this property is not prepared for opening yet. I will book nearby Hilton or Westin with priceline.com next time rather than spg.com.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

This hotel is located in a business corridor South of the IAD airport on route Va-28. There are no services of any kind without driving 10-15 minutes. The rooms are clean, there was no bathtub but the shower was a very nice size. They provide a fitted sheet on the mattress which I greatly appreciated. It is nice to wake up and not find that your feet are touching the bare mattress.
Since this hotel is new there are several inconsistencies with the service. I was given incorrect directions when I needed to find the nearest Target. The breakfast provided on the 6th floor for SPG Platinum members is disappointing. Chafing dishes of scrambled eggs, hash brown, bacon and sausage are provided as well as very limited pastries and cereal. I prefer toast. A toaster was on the counter for only one out of the three days of my stay. The bar tender was very unfriendly when I stopped one evening for a snack at the bar. He barely said two words and didn't offer a smile. Staff from the kitchen were coming to the bar to fill their glasses with soda from the bar wand and then drinking it behind the bar in front of the patrons. The parking situation is strange. This hotel is located next to a Hilton, if I remember correctly. There are parking spaces between the two which I used though there were no signs indicating that these spots could be used by guests of the Sheraton.
All in all, this hotel is useful if you are looking for lodging which is very close to IAD (which I was) and if you have a car. Staying here without a car would not be pleasant. If you need a hotel near IAD and are without a car it would be preferable to stay at the Sheraton or Westin in Dulles. There are amenities within walking distance and the hotels also provide complementary transportation to downtown Reston which offers many restaurants, shops and a movie cinema.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

The hotel was very nice, clean, and comfortable. The rooms were spacious, nice big flat screens with many channels, and very comfortable beds. There was wired high speed internet in the rooms for a surcharge. but free wireless and 4 computer stations were available in the lobby It was in a good location near the airport and easy to get around the area. If you went a little further from the hotel there were restaurants and grocery stores. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

This hotel is brand new and very nice. The room was very comfy -- two double beds with nice, fluffy comforters and plenty of pillows. Bathroom is huge and extremely clean.

If you think you'll be able to stay here and walk around to see sights though, think again. It's in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by brand new, sterile condos, hotels and office buildings -- definitely geared toward the businesswoman/man. But if you're a family just using it as homebase to visit DC, you'll be happy.

We stayed there for my daughter's orientation at George Mason University, and it was an easy commute to the campus from the hotel. We also spent a day in DC, which is a straight route from the hotel, but traffic going into the capital is horrendous! That's to be expected though.

For me, one major drawback is that you have to pay for Wi-Fi. My daughter and I each have our own laptops and they charge $12.95 for 24 hrs. of Wi-Fi for one computer only! We would have had to pay an additional $12.95 for the other laptop. They also offer a 6 hr. connection for $4.95, but why should we have to pay for Wi-Fi at all? An option to avoid charges is to use the computers in the lobby where the internet is free.

A tip to save money: There is a huge shopping complex near the hotel which houses many excellent restaurants ranging from Indian food to down home Southern cooking. You'll definitely want to take advantage of this because the prices at the hotel's restaurant are outrageous! $19.95 for a pancake breakfast?? Come on!

All in all, I would definitely stay here again. Clean, spacious rooms, courteous staff, no bedbugs!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

One thing airport hotels really should get right is their shuttle service - and the Sheraton Herndon really does not have it right. The single shuttle runs on request to the local area and the airport which means that one could wait a long time to get the hotel -- it took me and others waiting with me about 90 minutes from the time of calling the hotel to actually reach the hotel. Most of this time was the wait but it was also about dropping other people off at a museum and then reversing direction to go back to the hotel.

The general summary of the hotel is that the hardware is excellent but the software needs work. The rooms are new and fresh -- it is 50s design but everything is brand new. There is a good restaurant. The fitness center has new equipment.

But just like the shuttle service does not work well, there are other service delivery issues that need sorting out. The pool for example is not open in the morning.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Brooklyn, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

Excellent if you would like to be very close to the Dulles airport. It is a recently built hotel so everything is brand spanking new. It is in the middle of a large office park and about a mile near everything. Got to the airport in 15 minutes, with no problem. Would definitely stay again, if I am in the area. Very business oriented.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!