“Good price” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Sterling VA
“Good price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed one night and got a great rate for a Friday night. The hotel is clean and the front desk staff was friendly. I was checked in very quickly with no issues. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Yonkers, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

It was pretty good. Really wanted to find a place to eat dinner with a friend. It was next door to my hotel. I liked it but the wine was terrible. We had white wine. We both had the worst headache ever.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
cleveland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I recently stayed at this Sheraton, as I used to frequently stay there for business. I will never stay there again.
When I checked into the hotel, the key machine was not working, so I was given a master key, and the lady at the desk suggested that I bring it back down in the morning in hopes that the machine would be fixed. As suggested, I did just that. Went down, and asked for a new key to my room. The man up front, of some middle eastern, was standing next another man of middle eastern descent, and he was clearly friends with him. I felt a tad bit uncomfortable at first, as they were both staring at me. I received my new room key, and then went to grab a cup of coffee. Imagine my surprise when the "friend" was standing up in my hallway, near my room. He was just sipping his coffee and asked me if I was middle eastern. I am not middle eastern, nor was he supposed to be hanging out in my hallway clearly waiting for me. I was so uncomfortable, I went into my room and locked the door until I left. When I was leaving for the day, asked the man up front who his buddy was. And he said, I have no idea who you are talking about. I started to get really angry, and said the guy who was hanging out with you by the front desk, the one who randomly showed up on my floor? He played stupid for a while, and then came up with a bogus excuse, that he sent him up to see if I could get in my room. First of all, the guy had no interest in whether my key card worked, and he was clearly in cahoots with him. I was so nervous in this hotel, that when I arrived for the evening, I had my colleague walk in my room and check every possible crevice for anyone hiding. I will never stay here again. I used to like the convenience of this hotel, but have decided that other properties are a better option. I do like the Westin right around the corner, it has a full service restaurant and doesn't seem to have creeps working there.

Room Tip: I would have provided better reviews of all of these, however my recent experience has completely ch...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Syracuse, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

Stayed here for business twice in 3 weeks. Front desk is super friendly and helpful. It really is guests and customers first here. The breakfast is good, parking is easy, and the rooms are always clean. Great location to Reston Town Center and Herndon restaurants.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I would like to preface this review by saying that Jim, the hotel manager did everything possible to try to remedy the problems that I encountered by giving me points and by refunding most of my stay costs, which I felt was both generous and appropriate.

Having said that, I chose this hotel because when I called and asked they said that they had an on call shuttle and that meant that within a few minutes the shuttle would head to the airport to pick you up. It was exceptionally cold in DC and the front desk said the shuttle would be 15 minutes. It was almost 55 minutes of freezing after an international flight, waiting for the shuttle. The front desk also lied about how long it would take. Their restaurant is closed for lunch and room service and the restaurant close at 10pm, which is not the best for an airport hotel . At least have a light tapas type menu until midnight.

There were quite a few problems with my room, no bath tub, no heat until I called and they had to change out the unit,so I was freezing until it was fixed.

The manager and manager on duty did their best and I appreciated that. I would stay here again if they have a restaurant that is open late, which is important for an airport hotel and also if they have an on call shuttle. They should combine with the Hyatt place which is next door and they manage both hotels.

Room Tip: If you would like a bathtub, be sure to ask for a double room
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

The only positive aspect of the hotel is that it has a club lounge and it's a SPG Category 2 meaning it only require 3000/4000 SPG Starpoints for a free night. Few Sheraton around major cities require such low point value. Nevertheless, with the poor experience I had, I'll stay at the nearby Aloft which is also a SPG Category 2 hotel the next time.

1) During check-in, I specifically asked about lounge access / breakfast as I'm a SPG Platinum member and was told that the lounge is closed during the holiday week (understandable). However, it would have been nice if the agent told me about the substitute vouchers for the hotel restaurant. I later saw the sign on the club floor and had to go down to request it.
2) The club lounge isn't really a lounge. It's that little space in the lobby of the club floor right by the elevator. Very awkward location for a club lounge.
3) The hotel just doesn't have the Sheraton feel, from the rooms to the hotel restaurant, and I've stayed 50+ nights in in 2013 in Sheraton brand alone. Shower head isn't the one found in Sheraton hotels and hotel restaurant is tiny and more comparable to a Four Point hotel restaurant. The hotel is overall really more at the Four Point level.
4) Breakfast buffet at the hotel restaurant is the worst I have ever seen. It has a smaller selection than most of the club lounges I have visited. Comparable to Days Inn I have stayed in but this Sheraton charges $10+ whereas it's complimentary at Days Inn.
5) Restaurant staff wasn't particular nice. I handed over an appetizer voucher and was moving my hand back into my pocket to pull out my room key so that I can tell the bartender which room to charge the rest of the balance to. He however had to pre-empty yell at me that I can only use one voucher.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

I booked this hotel for an overnight stay during business travels. This hotel is an airport hotel and you feel it. I had to pick a cab because you had to inform the hotel that you are arriving, although all the other choices around run several shuttles per hour without being noticed before.

In-hotel service is fair, but nothing to write home about. The hotel itself seemed to be deserted, some lonely figures hanging around at the bar, the swimming pool closes in the evening. Flexibility in terms of breakfast is non-existent, they know that the majority of their customers will leave after one night.

However, if you need a decent place to stay for a fair price, this might be an option.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!