“Junky interiors, slow service, missing shuttle” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #17 of 20 hotels in Herndon
Baltimore, MD
“Junky interiors, slow service, missing shuttle”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel last week.

1. The room: basic, clean, and poorly isolated from hallway noises.

2. Check-in: We arrived around 9 PM and waited about 20 minutes, in line, to be checked in.

3. Shuttle service: I left my car at the airport under the park and stay program. The shuttle to the airport was fine. The shuttle back from the airport, a few days later, however, never turned up. The explanation was that shuttles do *not* pick up passengers at the airport from where the signs indicate. In fact, you must wait for the shuttle at the other end of the terminal, in the opposite direction of all the signs for hotel shuttles. After waiting for 35 minutes for a shuttle, I called the front desk. The clerk told me that I should be in area H, not A, and that I should have been told that shuttles wold pick up at H. I hadn't been told. I came across a lady in the same situation as I was--she hadn't been told about the special pickup area. We shared a cab (for $15) back to the hotel, where we saw the hotel's empty shuttle in the parking lot.

If you're worried about getting to and from the airport in hotel transportation, and if you want a particularly quit night's sleep, and your time matters to you, don't choose this hotel. I'd say that if you pay more than $100 to stay here, you're paying too much. Under that and the experience might be worth it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick_Campbell, General Manager at Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Adam B.,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your recent stay at the Sheraton Herndon-Dulles Hotel. I am very disappointed that your stay with us was not a pleasurable experience for you. I can imagine after a day of traveling the last thing you would want to do is wait for a hotel shuttle and to check in the hotel. I am so sorry that you had to endure this with our hotel. We appreciate all feedback from our guests so that we may use it to enhance our guest experience for you and our future guests.

Please contact me personally If you are ever in our area again, I would love the opportunity to make it up to you.

Thank you again for your time.

Best Regards,

Patrick Campbell

203 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
West Country
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel last weekend. The bed in our room was like a bowl. Needless to say a terrible night's sleep. The next morning I went down to reception early (at 0830) to ask two things: Did they have availability for the following night also, and if so, at what rate and could we in that case switch rooms due to bowl-shaped bed. I was given the same rate as the previous night and told there was availability in another room. I confirmed the reservations agent/receptionist should book this for us. The agent/receptionist confirmed and said that I should come back down at 11.30am-12.00pm to be able to check into the new room.

I got down at 11.40 am. The same guy acts like he knows nothing of our conversation/his offer/my booking and proceeds to inform me that "well, all the rooms have already been booked online now and we're totally sold out"!! I responded that he could not do that, i.e. sell me a room at a certain rate, confirm it verbally and tell me to come back down to check in, and then withdraw the offer/deny it happened.

Needless to say that this really complicated things for us that day as it was not easy getting another room in the area and we ended up with a much higher price at another location in the end.

As an aside, the breakfast there was diabolical. One expects a high price for breakfast in a hotel and I accept that. However, the "food" here was sub-standard. The cheapest of the cheap products (ie. "sausage" that was pressed to look like sausage, mini hashbrowns swimming in oil, and dry scrambled eggs...no bacon......all for about $13.).

This hotel needs to get its act together unless they are not into repeat business.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Patrick_Campbell, General Manager at Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Tikkster,
Let me first say I was sorry you did not have a comfortable stay in our room
and did not enjoy the comfort of our beds. We should have made the reservation
for you for the next night and given you the confirmation number. I apologize for
not having our Breakfast Buffet up to your standards as well. I do appreciate
you taking time to let me know of the short coming during your stay. It helps us
Communicate with our associates and makes us better.
Thank you again for taking time to let us know about your stay.

Sincerely
Patrick Campbell
Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

If you like your hotels new and sparkling, you'll be pleased. Check-in was fast and the desk agents were helpful. The room had sleek dark wood furniture - a wardrobe instead of closet, a full-length desk, a pull-out faux cabinet on wheels, and an armchair. The flat-screen TV was mounted on the wall instead of sitting on a cabinet, and underneath there was a bench.

But too modern can make things more complex than necessary. I could not figure out how to turn the desk lamp on. There wasn't a switch on the base or up near the bulbs. They forgot to put power outlets on the desk but there was a wall plate in the corner. Behind the night stand on the wall there was one plug free but was hard to reach.

The bed was a king-sized pillow-top with a soft, comfortable mattress. The 4 pillows were large but very soft - even stacking two pillows I didn't have good support.

The bathroom had two doors that swung inward - as the room was very small that cut down further on space. It took me about 3 times looking for the light switch for the bathroom before I remembered it was on the outside wall near the main door. Isn't it more logical and conventional to put a light switch inside a room rather than out? There was a shower stall with glass doors but no tub - no big deal unless you like to soak. Actually considering the small area of the bathroom the shower was quite large, almost crowding out the sink and toilet. Another annoyance - finishing the shower I realized the towels were stored on the opposite side of the room over the toilet. Can't hotel designers figure out how to place bath towels where you need them?!?

Wifi wasn't free in the room - you have to register and pay for 6 or 24 hours. I went to the lobby bar late in the evening where Wifi was supposedly free. I still couldn't get online so I went to the desk and they gave me a card with a code and password. I decided to get a beer so I sat at the bar and asked for something on tap. The bartender said he only had bottles and he gestured to a line of about 20 choices. I saw a Corona Light so I ordered that. Well, no, he didn't have any Corona Light (and no, he didn't offer to give me the "display model"). I then looked down instead of up and saw the actual bottles in the fridge - I asked for an Amstel Light (which wasn't part of the lineup!). Funny stuff.

The shuttle took me to Dulles the next morning - be aware it's a huge airport with long security lines. I left the hotel 80 minutes before the flight and by the time I got to the gate they were starting the boarding.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Huntsville, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

When we arrived we loooked through the whole room for some kind of information map that you usually find in a hotel room. None. When I went to the reception desk they told me that they are the information book. So I have to call or go down every time I need some Information? I then asked for the hours of operation of the indoor pool. I was told that it would be closed until Thursday. Well another lady told me that she had been in the pool on Wednesday and that they had told HER that the pool was only open in the evening hours. On the website it says something about a Sheraton Club Lounge at the highest floor level - well, not for everyone ..... you have to be some member otherwise you're a second class customer who can't get in. The breakfast was fair but the orange juice dispenser wasn't working properly and the two tables next to the window had big scratches - a little furniture polish would have worked wonders there - and one table was more some kind of a rocking table. The room and the bath were nice and clean. But one day I left the hotelroom at noon and nobody bothered to clean the room after that on that day. No public transportation only shuttle service to the Airport. Well we had been to other hotels where they offered at least some short distance shuttle service to restaurant/bars nearby when there were none within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Patrick_Campbell, General Manager at Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Gingi58,

First of all I apologize for you not feeling welcome and the inconvenience that happened during your stay.
We should have shared with you the proper information right at check in and this would have alleviated a lot of having to “guess” on your part.
We will certainly take these comments to share with our front office team so we can alleviate the confusion for you and upcoming guests.
The Club Level Access and the local shuttle as well as the pool hours all could have been explained to you from the beginning at check in.
I do appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay with and I once again apologize for the inconveniences you personally experienced.
Sincerly Patrick Campbell
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Sheraton at Dulles is all about the location, although it may be a little hard to find: the hotel is off the beaten path but close to Dulles Toll Road and Rt. 28. The hotel rates are very low on weekends, which is great given its close proximity to IAD. Free parking and free shuttle service (I think) to the airport. Rooms are clean and quiet.

Room Tip: Good for a weekend stay.