“New, clean, modern, form over function” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Missouri
“New, clean, modern, form over function”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

If you like your hotels new and sparkling, you'll be pleased. Check-in was fast and the desk agents were helpful. The room had sleek dark wood furniture - a wardrobe instead of closet, a full-length desk, a pull-out faux cabinet on wheels, and an armchair. The flat-screen TV was mounted on the wall instead of sitting on a cabinet, and underneath there was a bench.

But too modern can make things more complex than necessary. I could not figure out how to turn the desk lamp on. There wasn't a switch on the base or up near the bulbs. They forgot to put power outlets on the desk but there was a wall plate in the corner. Behind the night stand on the wall there was one plug free but was hard to reach.

The bed was a king-sized pillow-top with a soft, comfortable mattress. The 4 pillows were large but very soft - even stacking two pillows I didn't have good support.

The bathroom had two doors that swung inward - as the room was very small that cut down further on space. It took me about 3 times looking for the light switch for the bathroom before I remembered it was on the outside wall near the main door. Isn't it more logical and conventional to put a light switch inside a room rather than out? There was a shower stall with glass doors but no tub - no big deal unless you like to soak. Actually considering the small area of the bathroom the shower was quite large, almost crowding out the sink and toilet. Another annoyance - finishing the shower I realized the towels were stored on the opposite side of the room over the toilet. Can't hotel designers figure out how to place bath towels where you need them?!?

Wifi wasn't free in the room - you have to register and pay for 6 or 24 hours. I went to the lobby bar late in the evening where Wifi was supposedly free. I still couldn't get online so I went to the desk and they gave me a card with a code and password. I decided to get a beer so I sat at the bar and asked for something on tap. The bartender said he only had bottles and he gestured to a line of about 20 choices. I saw a Corona Light so I ordered that. Well, no, he didn't have any Corona Light (and no, he didn't offer to give me the "display model"). I then looked down instead of up and saw the actual bottles in the fridge - I asked for an Amstel Light (which wasn't part of the lineup!). Funny stuff.

The shuttle took me to Dulles the next morning - be aware it's a huge airport with long security lines. I left the hotel 80 minutes before the flight and by the time I got to the gate they were starting the boarding.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Huntsville, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

When we arrived we loooked through the whole room for some kind of information map that you usually find in a hotel room. None. When I went to the reception desk they told me that they are the information book. So I have to call or go down every time I need some Information? I then asked for the hours of operation of the indoor pool. I was told that it would be closed until Thursday. Well another lady told me that she had been in the pool on Wednesday and that they had told HER that the pool was only open in the evening hours. On the website it says something about a Sheraton Club Lounge at the highest floor level - well, not for everyone ..... you have to be some member otherwise you're a second class customer who can't get in. The breakfast was fair but the orange juice dispenser wasn't working properly and the two tables next to the window had big scratches - a little furniture polish would have worked wonders there - and one table was more some kind of a rocking table. The room and the bath were nice and clean. But one day I left the hotelroom at noon and nobody bothered to clean the room after that on that day. No public transportation only shuttle service to the Airport. Well we had been to other hotels where they offered at least some short distance shuttle service to restaurant/bars nearby when there were none within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Patrick_Campbell, General Manager at Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Gingi58,

First of all I apologize for you not feeling welcome and the inconvenience that happened during your stay.
We should have shared with you the proper information right at check in and this would have alleviated a lot of having to “guess” on your part.
We will certainly take these comments to share with our front office team so we can alleviate the confusion for you and upcoming guests.
The Club Level Access and the local shuttle as well as the pool hours all could have been explained to you from the beginning at check in.
I do appreciate you taking the time to tell us about your stay with and I once again apologize for the inconveniences you personally experienced.
Sincerly Patrick Campbell
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Sheraton at Dulles is all about the location, although it may be a little hard to find: the hotel is off the beaten path but close to Dulles Toll Road and Rt. 28. The hotel rates are very low on weekends, which is great given its close proximity to IAD. Free parking and free shuttle service (I think) to the airport. Rooms are clean and quiet.

Room Tip: Good for a weekend stay.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I just spent 2 nights at this property. It wasn't bad at all. The rooms where avearage but quaint. The lobby was small but inviting, the bar area is nice, drink pricing isn't bad, food was pretty good and priced pretty decent. The staff was very friendly. It is alittle inconvenient, as it is sucluded within a major business district and apartments, but very safe and quiet.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here in February and paid for a King room that was nice - nothing special but nothing to complain about. Remembering that experience, I cashed in some of my SPG Starpoints for a free room the 2nd week of April. It was a Double room, so basically the same as before except for the bed size change.

Totally different experience. I mean, if you enjoy the smell of dog pee in your hotel room, then this would have been AWESOME! But for me, not so much. When I checked-in this time, there was a woman requesting a new room and the desk clerk was saying to her "there's a problem with the 2nd one too" and she was like "uh. yeah, it smells just as bad." So, maybe there was an epidemic of doggy urine run amuck in the hotel? Who knows! But I do know that I will not be making a 3rd return trip to this hotel.

Plus, who wants to pay $10 for internet access at this place when the Hyatt Place next door (who shares a parking lot & shuttle bus with this hotel) offers free Internet access.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick_Campbell, General Manager at Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Dear Travelling Mofo,
First, thank you very much for your feed back, as you know we do allow pets, we try to keep limited to certain areas of hotel. We also try to follow up with deep cleaning to ensure exactly what your talking about doesn't happen. I apologize for your experience and hope you will give us another chance. We have prided our selves in room’s cleanliness and will continue to work with our room attendants to maintain the high cleanliness standards our guests are expecting.

Once again thank you for your feed back
Patrick Campbell
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

during the easter breaks, i reserved two rooms one night. the rooms are comfortable, clean, allowed pets... I was very happy cause i can bring my dogs...
However, when I check my credit card record, there's overcharging fee, i contacted the customer service many times(two weeks) but no response no one help me. It makes me so disappointed..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jingyi L,

Thank you very much for taking time to tell me about your experience at our hotel. Thank you for the kind words and your fondness of our property. I also was disappointed we did not get the "overcharge" or hold taken care of. If anytime in the future please contact me directly and I will be sure to follow through immediately pertaining to any charges incurred. Once again we work very hard to make sure you enjoy your stay and don’t want something like this to be the last impression.

Sincerely ,
Patrick Campbell

Been to Sheraton Herndon Dulles Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!