“You'll feel like a regular” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #18 of 180 Restaurants in Herndon
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Sterling, Virginia
“You'll feel like a regular”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

Love this local bar/restaurant. It's our go to place when all we want is a beer, good food, and a relaxed environment. From the Tavern dog to their signature burger to the VERY authentic hot wings (they come mild, medium, hot, and insane), you'll leave with a full belly and happy you chose Jimmy's.

Visited June 2014

Fairfax, Virginia
“Very Good With a Caveat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We never went in this place because it looked seedy. But we finally tried it today. The Philly cheesesteak is outstanding, better than any I have ever had, including in Philly itself. The French Dip (beef on a wreck) is also very good. They have genuine Guinness on draft! Be forewarned: if you order the Buffalo wings, ask for the sauce on the side. We ordered "mild" and it is debatable just whose definition "mild" is. Wow they were hot. If you order their "suicidal" wings, bring a fire extinguisher because you will likely burst into flames. Overall, great little place. (one complaint: our waitress went off shift and never told us. We had to flag down the manager to get our check.)

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Reston, Virginia
“Surprisingly good tavern/restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

For years, I drove past Jimmy's and, from its exterior, judged it (unfairly as it turns out) to be kind of a dive. I finally set foot in the place because I wanted to play in the weekly Texas Hold 'Em tournaments held there every Sunday evening, and I was surprised to be greeted by the owner, who makes it a point to make every single person there feel like a regular. I've learned that the place is a local institution, and has activities throughout the month that are designed to encourage people to come in and have a good time. From what I've seen, that's just what happens.

Once I began having dinner there every week before the game, I was surprised to discover how good the food is. I've enjoyed Jimmy's prize-winning chicken wings, beef on weck, poutine, onion rings, and tavern hamburger, as well as their occasional specials, such as a prime rib sandwich and the best beef vegetable soup I've ever had (which contained many large chunks of not overcooked beef), and find them all well worth the money. I'm not much of a drinker, though many who frequent the bar are, so I can't comment on its drinks, but its bar is set up in a way to encourage friendly interaction, even though TVs are scattered throughout the entire tavern.

Jimmy is from Buffalo, so the tavern reflects Buffalo's food and culture. Whenever a Buffalo sports team is on TV, that tends to be the focus of activity in the tavern. But you don't have to be from Buffalo or a Fan of a buffalo sports team to enjoy yourself there.

For special events, such as certain holidays, Jimmy's takes over the adjacent alley (weather permitting) and the good times happen outdoors, too.

Jimmy's is a great place to relax and meet friendly people, and have a tasty meal (and even play cards!), and I intend to keep coming back.

Note: Jimmy's is expanding. I'm not sure what the plan or timing is, but the expansion has been in the works for a long time.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Southport
“This is a bar, not a restaurant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Based on the reviews on TA, we tried dinner here. But we found this place to be extremely noisy, greasy food, poorly cooked, and most of the patrons were there to drink. The French fried potatoes and fried fish were soggy. The ice tea was instant. The grilled cheese sandwich had American cheese, not cheddar, with very dry bread and greasy bacon. And the elderly man cleaning the tables used a very filthy rag on the tables. Go here just for the beers. We have no idea why anyone would rate this place highly.

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Madison, Connecticut
“Pretty crappy service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

The place was recommend by a friend, so I thought it'd be better.

Ate here w/ 5 others night of April 26, 2014. Food was fine; service, not so much. Greeter kinda displayed a chip on his shoulder throughout our stay there. Was surly about how long we'd have to wait--15 mins. as it turned out--to be seated, and when one of our party's supper wasn't served until 20 mins. after the rest of the group, the greeter was somewhat offensively unyielding about taking something off the check for the inconvenience.

The place advertises free refills on soft drinks, and our waitress told me she'd bring me another Diet Coke. It never arrived. She was much more intent on wiping down tables than she was in serving me.

I was visiting Herndon last Sat. night and don't ever expect to visit again. Were I to do so, however, I wouldn't go back to Jimmy's.

Visited April 2014