“Pool issue” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Pool issue”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Pool is closed due to sanitary reasons....so many hotels nearby and they can't make arrangements to send guests, with kids especially, to use their neighbors pools!? Ridiculous especially when staying multiple nights...very disappointed to the lack of customer service.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled with family
Rajesh S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Thank you for your feedback. In fact, there was a pool incident by a guest, as a result of which it had to be closed for personal hygiene reasons. The pool has to undergo proper cleansing procedures , before it can be presented back to the patrons.These are unforeseen happenings beyond our control. Kindly accept our sincere apologies. We hope the remainder of your stay was on target.

Rajesh Singh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

I must admit Gabby is such a wonderful asset to your hotel that I prefer it even over several area hotels to stay! Gabby is seamless and very accommodating! There are several other employees that are also exceptional!

The valet service is top notch!

I always feel safe and secure at this hotel and will always come back!

Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Thank you for feedback and complimenting Gaby. We appreciate your kind words and undoubtedly she deserves your recommendation. We are glad that you really enjoyed your stay. Please come back and see us soon.

harrisburg, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Nice extremely clean large room with lots of room for luggage. I liked the layout with the large semi-separated sitting area with L shaped couch. The sink was outside the bathroom and had tons of counter space. The closet was minuscule. Its sliding door was the width of its full length mirror but difficult to reach in to hang clothes at the other end because that end was behind the wall separating the sink counter area from it. Nice tv, no binder of hotel amenities. Edges of the wood furniture tops and mirrors were rubbed or bumped enough that there were chips or no stain left on them in many areas. Other counters were a beautiful granite. The wood just needs to be freshened up a bit so it's not such a contrast and doesn't look so old and dowdy. Of course I was here to sleep and the beds and pillows were perfectly comfy. That's the most important part.

I have to write about the shower. Great water pressure but I don't recommend letting young children use it. All of a sudden the water got really cold so I turned up the hot. As usually happens in this type of situation, it got hot again, but scalding hot. An adult could easily (but maybe not happily) deal with this but I'd be afraid that a child might get burned. On the plus side, plenty of hot water. I could only picture everyone in the hotel adjusting the water temp up and down as each subsequent person turned on the water in their shower. I was going to give a 4 rating but knocked it down to 3 for dangerous shower conditions.

Nice Included breakfast with a great presentation. It was maintained well and there was plenty of seating. The dishes and plates were a pretty square style and a heavy plastic, no styrofoam.

All the staff I encountered was very nice.

As previously mentioned, nothing much in the immediate area. There is a bigger Hyatt across the main road that has a restaurant but I don't know if it's good or not. We drove 15 minutes to Reston Town Center which had many restaurants and shops. Cute area.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Rajesh S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you kindly for your feedback. We will look into the water temperature and ensure it is at the optimum level. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and look forward seeing you stay with us in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The title says it all. Great maintenance, great housekeeping, great front desk, great management.

I simply can't think of anything less than first rate with this Property - oh wait: Hyatt ought to install door slam dampers to catch up w newer Hilton properties.

This is my goto hotel for NoVa.

Room Tip: With any Hyatt Place, try to get room on the top 2 floors, as lower floors are filled with loud tour...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled on business
Rajesh S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward seeing you soon and serving you more consistently in the near future.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Important! - we were transported with the Sheraton Shuttle and this is not mentioned on the website. Luckily my wife read a review mentioning this.

Stayed there for a night and left happy. Rooms look like advertised and have a small living area which was great for all our luggage. Had good wi-fi and a friendly restaurant nearby called Generous George. Breakfast was not great but i'm a banter.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
delhi1992, General Manager at Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you kindly for your valued feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward serving you soon in the very near future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We came in around noon on Friday, and left early monday. Early check-in was no prob. As I usually find with tripadvisor, because people are more motivated to post a review when they have a beef, my experience was better than some shared here.

Found the rooms very clean - and the layout was great. Fairly new looking/feeling bathroom with good water pressure. toilet/shower in a separate room that sink/mirror - which was great. Our room (5th floor) was very clean, and they layout was great. Nice comfortable king bed - and although wasn't an actual suite, there was a partial wall that divided the bedroom from the tv room - so our daughter slept on the pull-out and we were able to feel like we had a bit of privacy thanks to an intelligent layout. The small office area and the little bar fridge area with counter space are good use of space, and the room seems larger than it is. Staff was quite quick to bring up the sheets to make the pull-out sofa up the first day, and subsequent days this bed was of course made up when the cleaner came buy. No problem there. The garbage bins in the room use a clear insert rather than a garbage bag. I think this looks good, and is super convenient. Internet was fast. Bed very comfortable. Our room was a the front, so we looked across the road into a forested lot that had a nice forest with lots of cherry blossoms. Big TV was on a swivel - depending if watching from bedroom or couch. Closet wasn't huge, but good enough for just the two of us and a baby.

Staff were very friendly and helpful throughout the stay. Pool was never busy, and although not huge, is a nice spot for a quick swim. I didn't use the exercise room, which was there, but nothing to write home about. The breakfast was very good. Exceeded my expectations every day. Lots of food options - plenty of room to sit.

There were a few little things that could have been improved for us.
-the pool hours are a bit strange. The Friday we checked in the pool only opened at 5pm (or something). Our first day was just a "hang around Dulles" day, and swimming was on the to-do list. So that wasn't idea. If you are planning to swim - check the times. The pool is closed more than most hotels I have stayed.

-the airport shuttle is generally very beneficial. Not just when arrriving/departing - but also super convenient to get you to airport in order to catch the city-bus (1hr) to downtown Washington. Overall this was a big benefit - except we had one big hiccup. End of a long day sightseeing, pouring rain, tired baby - we call the hotel from the bus to let them know we'll be at airport 8.25. They say they can't wait for us, because their shuttle has a regular schedule - and stops airport :15 and :45. We end up waiting on a cold, windy, rainy night with an under-dressed baby 'til 9:15 before the shuttle can get us. The frustration stems from the ambiguous info from the desk. If this is such a strict schedule - where was the 8.45 shuttle? And if it isn't a strict schedule because you are flexible in order to accommodate guests, how come you couldn't wait 10 mins for us?? In the end - just being made aware that we would have to wait 50mins for shuttle would have been great. Cabs are fast and cheap - and knowing we needed one would have eliminated a lot of grief. (the kicker on this shuttle saga is that we had paid for a movie in the room, and thanks to the 50min shuttle wait, we missed the last 15mins of our film - since you only have access fro 24 hrs after you pay.....d'oh!!)

The only other negative is the walls are pretty thin. Fairly easy to hear adjacent rooms - maybe a bit more so than most hotels.

Overall we enjoyed the stay - and found for the price it was good value. Little things like fresh granny-smith apples in the lobby are the kind of touches I found here, that usually you might not see at hotels in this price range. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your feedback. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and will come back and stay with us. Please accept our sincere apologies for the shuttle delay that you encountered at the airport. We look forward seeing you stay with us very soon.

Kind Regards,

Chantilly, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I recently hosted a two-day miniature gaming tournament at this property and the experience was a complete fiasco. The people running catering (and, by extension, catering at the Sheraton next door as they are both serviced by the same people) are woefully incompetent and seem to have no F&B or event planning experience whatsoever.

Below is a pretty detailed summary of all the problems I encountered during the tale of woe that was dealing with these dismissive amateurs. If I were you I would avoid this place like the plague. There are so many lodging options in the DC Area that you simply do not need the headache of dealing with these people.

(I should also add that they overbooked the hotel and there was a significant crowd of angry people in the lobby who had reservations, but no rooms)

1. I had to repeatedly ask for the link to the room block I was promised. Once we had a contract for the event, I was told that I would be provided a link to a room block at a discounted rate. I did not receive it. On 1 February I began asking via email for this link and was told it would be forthcoming. After two more emails to you, I was finally provided the link on 9 February, nearly four full weeks after we had a contract in place.

2. Repeated unwillingness to meet to discuss room setup. I repeatedly contacted my sales rep as early as March 17 to attempt to meet to discuss the room setup as I did not believe she understood my requirements. This proved impossible. The two times she did agree to meet with me, she cancelled at the last minute. Then she finally agreed to meet with me on the Friday afternoon immediately preceding the event, only to again, with no time to make other arrangements, cancel telling me that she would not be working after noon on Friday. I would expect someone who has already cancelled on a client on short notice twice might be willing to adjust their schedule to mine instead of again asking me to adjust to theirs, but I guess I was confused about the nature of our relationship. In the end we scheduled a phone conversation for 0930 on April 22 which she blew off with no explanation. Later in the day I was contacted with yet another apology and excuse and an assurance that I would get a call at 0930 on April 23. That time also came and went and I only received the promised call when I emailed to ask if I should expect to be stood up yet again.

3. I was not provided the agreed upon room at check-in. When we made the initial arrangements I was assured that I would be placed in the 1st floor room nearest the meeting room. Upon check-in at roughly 2:00 Friday afternoon I was advised that no 1st floor rooms were available. I was placed on the 3rd floor. I have an email dated 9 Feb confirming that I was to be placed on the 1st floor in the room nearest the event space.

4. The "discounted rate" my attendees received was the regular rate. I was provided a special "discounted" rate to offer to my guests of $89. As of 2 days before the event, the regular room rate through the website was $89.

5. The room was set up completely improperly. I had been repeatedly told that I could have the room for setup as soon as the Saturday AM breakfast was completed. After my sales rep's baffling inability to make any sort of meeting with me to discuss the room setup and a laughable pencil sketch I was provided to demonstrate her understanding of my required setup, I took it upon myself on Tuesday, April 21 to provide her with an exact and precise diagram (to scale) of the room setup I required as well as very specific numbers of tables required. When I received no reply that made me comfortable that she understood the specific requirement, I send her a further email on April 22 to clarify that I needed 28 6'x2' banquet tables arranged per the diagram I had provided with a direct question as to whether she had enough tables. I received no reply to this email, but was assured over the phone on April 23 that they would have the required tables.

Sure enough, (no surprise here) when I entered the room after the breakfast finished, I found one employee in the room setting up for a "U-shape" table setup. He had no clue what was required, no assistance, and no supervision. I took the time to explain the diagram I had provided to my sales rep days earlier and he began setting the room up to my specifications. After roughly 20 minutes I re-entered the room to inquire as to progress only to be told (wait for it) that there were not enough tables. About this time my sales rep finally decided it was time to arrive and our initial conversations seemed to indicate that it was her feeling that we would simply have to make do with the tables available (18 of the required 28). This would have forced me to cancel the event.

About this time my sales rep's supervisor arrived and indicated that they had more tables at the Sheraton next door. A short time later more tables did, in fact, begin to arrive, but they did not at all match the other tables already in the room and were only barely suitable for my requirements. Again, had these tables been an inch more narrow, I would have been forced to cancel.

6. The tables were not level as I had been promised. As this event was a miniature gaming tournament, it was an early stated requirement that adjacent tables would need to be level with each other. Aside from there not being nearly enough tables, it turned out that enough of them were broken or damaged to some extent so that the thumbscrews that would bring them into level did not serve that function.

Because of this I was forced to immediately drive to Home Depot in Reston and have 20 3'x3' boards cut in order to bring the surfaces level at an additional out-of-pocket expense of over $100 and further delay that I could now ill afford. I made it back from Home Depot at roughly 1120. I was scheduled to begin check-in at 1000.

7. Lunch was inadequate and of very poor quality. The contract indicated that lunch would consist of various lunch meats, assorted sandwich rolls, cold salads, chips and soft drinks. What we received was enough stale bread leftover from breakfast and lunchmeat to allow most attendees (but not all) to have a single cold-cut sandwich. There were also exactly 40 bags of potato chips (I guess everyone had better like potato chips). There was no salad of any kind. There was no mayo, mustard, salt, pepper, etc, until it was asked for. There were no drinks of any kind beyond the tepid tap water in the event room (we'll get back to the water). The per-person catering fee of $20 purchased (almost) everyone a single sandwich on stale sliced bread. My sales rep had also been advised days earlier that there would be 43 people in attendance on Sat. Not only was there not enough food to feed everyone, those that did eat quickly ran out of options as there was no backup to replenish exhausted items and they were forced to eat what was left.

There was no bus bin put out until I asked for it. My guests had nowhere to put their soiled plates and resorted to simply laying them wherever until I asked for a bus bin.

My wife and daughter stopped by to say hello just as lunch had been set out, before anyone had had anything, and she assumed that we had already eaten and that what she was looking at was the leftovers that had been put out for guests to continue to snack on. She actually laughed when I told her that was, in fact, the meal.

8. The rooms were completely ignored during the event. Once the event commenced we were more or less ignored unless we went to the front desk to ask for help. Twice the water urns in the room ran completely dry and someone had to be told to refill them. Twice the garbage cans in the room filled to the point of overflowing and were only emptied when I went and told someone at the front desk.

9. The dinner "taco bar" was completely inadequate and of very poor quality. Unlike lunch, I was actually encouraged when I saw what was brought out for dinner. There seemed to be a nice assortment of steak, chicken, tortillas, pico, etc. Unfortunately, except for the exceedingly bland, flavorless rice, of which there seemed to be a near inexhaustible supply (probably owing to its poor quality and lack of flavor) there was not nearly enough of everything. By the time about half my guests had gone through the taco line, all the beef was gone, forcing all remaining to eat chicken. There was no extra beef or chicken for replenishment. Many of the "fixings" also quickly ran out. 2/3 the way through the group there were no tortillas left. There were not even enough tortillas for each guest to have 2 tacos. No guest ate more than 2 tacos. At $30 per person, that taco bar represented $1200 of the contract amount. For 30% of that I could have paid RETAIL prices and set up a taco bar that would have allowed all in attendance to eat tacos until they burst if they so desired. I received several complaints RE the poor quality of the food at dinner.

10. The bathroom adjacent to the event room was ignored throughout the event. At no time during the event did anyone service or clean the 1st floor restroom adjacent to the event room. This was made plain by the fact the toilet paper was never replenished and someone (I have no idea if it was one of my guests or a hotel guest) urinated all over the wall and floor on Saturday evening and it remained uncleaned when I left the property at roughly 1800 Sunday.

11. On Sunday there were no drinks provided at all. No water (much less the promised soft drinks) was provided on Sunday until it was requested when I was advised by my guests that their (somewhat less) stale bread sandwiches were difficult to eat with nothing at all to drink.

12. Lunch on Sunday was again inadequate, though less so. Sunday lunch was more of the same. When it was put out, I was in a much better mood than throughout the Saturday fiasco, and was pleased when I was told there was more of it than there had been on Saturday. Still none of the promised "assorted rolls." More sliced bread left over from breakfast. This time, however, there were also croissants. I thought this was an improvement and a nice touch until I realized there were only about 12 and they were just more breakfast leftovers as they were not cut to allow for being made into sandwiches. When I asked if I could have something to cut them or have them cut I was provided with a steel caddy full of butter knives. Things had, at this point, become so absurd as to be almost comical.

13. My guests paid $70 for 2 stale bread sandwiches and two tacos. At the end of the day, guests who attended both Saturday and Sunday paid a total of $70 for the food they were provided. This consisted of 2 stale bread sandwiches, 2 tacos (chicken only if you were not quick on your feet), a bag of potato chips (again, unless you were too slow), and a scoop of pasta salad.

14. Employees mocked and goofed on my guests. My group makes no big secret of the fact that we have a pretty nerdy hobby. I mean, we are grown men who get together on the weekends to push toy spaceships around on rubber mats for prizes. What these guys are, however, is a genuinely nice, generous, friendly group of guys who should be able to enjoy their hobby at an event they are paying for without having to put up with being goofed on by staff members in plain view. By the time I had gotten home I had three separate emails from my guests indicating that they had felt mocked and laughed at by hotel employees at the front desk. I just don't even know what to say about that. Off all of these screw-ups during this entire fiasco, this was the only one that actually made me angry. That just sucks.

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty nice. The event facilities and staff are horrible
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Thank you for your feedback. I once again apologize on behalf of the hotel team at large ,of falling short ,in your expectations. My assurance to you was,the resolution would be to your satisfaction. We did ensure that your resolution requirements were fully met. Please accept our sincere apologies once again in this regard.

Rajesh Singh

Been to Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East? Share your experiences!