“Really Good Choice for Herndon/Reston Area” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Advance Purchase 15% Off
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Austin, Texas
“Really Good Choice for Herndon/Reston Area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

I am a Hilton guy, but if Hyatt continues to build out its various brands of hotels I could eventually switch (many cities/towns I visit don't have Hyatt properties). I stayed at a Hyatt Place in Austin a couple of years ago and since most of the Hilton properties in the Reston-Herndon area were either sold out or ridiculously expensive, I elected to try Hyatt Place again.

Similar to my first stay a couple of years ago, this is an excellent property. The hotel is only about 2 years old, so everything is in great shape. I actually find Hyatt Place more comfortable than Hyatt Regency.

Pros: The rooms are quiet (good sound insulation) and the hotel itself is located in a part of Herndon that isn’t horribly trafficky. There is only one restaurant within walking distance (a nice, family-oriented pizza and salad restaurant called Generous George), but there are a variety of restaurants (Thai, Vietnamese, American, etc.) and a grocery store within 5 minutes drive.

The A/C works very well, as does the internet speed (95% of the time, which is better than most hotels). The large flat panel TV pivots so you can watch from bed or the living room area (the rooms are pretty large). The TV has all sorts of connections if you want to connect your laptop up to watch a movie (HDMI and other cables available at front desk).

Instead of a check-in counter, there is a “gallery host” who handles everything from check-in and check-out to snack/drink sales to just about anything else you can think of. One-stop POC for everything a hotel guest needs. The gallery hosts are trained very well and I found them to be extremely friendly and helpful. I actually like the gallery host concept (single POC for everything) better than having different people to contact for different things (concierge, operator, housekeeping, front desk, etc.).

This property provides free parking, free breakfast, and free in-room wireless internet. I love not being nickel and dimed for this stuff.

Instead of vending machines, there are snacks, sandwiches, and drinks available for purchase in the lobby area. Prices are somewhat reasonable. The only downside here is the dearth of variety in drinks for sale (for example, there are only 4 types of soda to choose from, not counting the Izze brand flavors).

Cons: The beds in the room I stayed in were not as comfortable as most hotels, curiously. The mattresses were uneven and one of them sagged badly (rm. 613).

The only other con was that I requested a quiet room away from the elevators when I made the reservation online and made sure upon check-in to ask the gallery host to make sure he put me in a room away from the elevator. Despite telling me that my room was away from the elevator, when I reached my room I was, aggravatingly, across from the elevator. The hotel patrons were adequately quiet coming and going, so it wasn’t an issue; but hotel management needs to ensure guests receive the room types they request, whenever possible.

Despite these cons, I would definitely stay here again in the future. It was a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The hotel is very clean; in fact it looks brand new. I have zero complaints with the furnishings. They have the best cafeteria-style continental breakfast I've seen in a domestic hotel. The only nit picky complaint I can think of has to do with noise at breakfast in the main eating area. There's a lot of chair-scraping and dropping of various objects by both the staff and the hurrying guests, so it's rather loud when the area fills. But there's plenty of space in the lobby where you can take your food and drink for a little more intimate setting.

But that's all I can think of that detracts, so you know it's a nice place. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Prior Lake, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I raved about this hotel when I got home, and knew I had to circle back to Tripadvisor to write a review. My room was impeccably clean and quiet. No refrigerator noise, etc. I stayed here for two weekend nights to sight-see after a business trip. I did a local 5k run (yes, I'm a little crazy that way) and missed breakfast because of it. When I returned to the hotel, I wandered over to where the breakfast had been that morning to see if there was anything left. One of the very helpful workers saw me and helped me find some cereal and coffee, despite breakfast hours being over!

Internet speed was great, bed was comfortable, TV was modern, sofa was comfortable. Not only would I recommend this hotel, but the next time I'm in the area for business, I'm going to try and persuade my colleagues to stay here (it's a longer drive but worth it!).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I Was told there was no room service even though they have a menu in the room?

When just previously the night before I had ordered a burger which sucked by the way.

Having said that though the room cleaning crew is very good.,but the food is questionable.

Giving this hotel a 3 dot.Which I feel is generous .

Room Tip: Room service for things such as Breakfast and lunch and or Dinner seem to be lacking. Was told the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Noblesville, IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We had a decent stay for a couple nights. We were in town for sightseeing and a football game. The trains dont run all the way out to the airport, but it looked like DC was working on that. The hotel was clean and the room was comfortable. Breakfast was good, but would have liked to see a couple more choices. We didnt use the pool, but noticed they had a lifeguard on duty which I dont think I have ever seen at a hotel.The location was really my only issue, and that really isnt their fault. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Firstly it might help guests to know the hotel shuttle can currently be picked up at stand 2H at Dulles Airport-Sept. Unfortunately no courtesy phones at airport except for 6 local hotels. After wandering around finally found someone who knew where the pick up place was! Info place was closed as it was about 22.00.
After a long flight from UK I found the Hyatt a lovely place to rest. Lovely big room with sofa was great value for the price I paid. Staff were very helpful on arrival and I found the breakfast area
was nice size and food pretty good.
Wish I had stayed longer than 1 night as I had to stay nearer Washington capital later in vacation which I regretted as it was not as nice or reasonable price as the Hyatt.
Recommended for airport stay or little longer.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Shelby, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed 5 nights at the hotel while we were visiting DC. The hotel was wonderful. The rooms were clean and spacious. The staff was very helpful and the breakfasts were absolutely delicious. We were able to get to the metro with no problems. The hotel provides a shuttle to some of the local attractions that was very helpful and convenient. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hyatt Place Herndon / Dulles Airport - East? Share your experiences!