“Great Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Fullerton, California
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

I chose this hotel for 2 reasons, free airport shuttle and free breakfast. I've stayed at other Comfort Inns in the past and found them to be decent. I was glad to see that this hotel was furnished nice, our room was clean, the staff was friendly. Over all a great deal and location was fine, although we drove into DC and only slept and ate breakfast here but I did see an Outback restaurant nearby.
The breakfast was ok, they had a waffle maker so every morning I had waffles, coffee and juice. Breakfast is only from 7-9, which was ok for us we were trying to get an early start anyway. The only complaint I would have is that other guests hogging the computer, they only have one computer in the lobby for guest with a sign that said something to the effect of please be brief so other guest can use the computer, every morning some idiot who's partner kicked him out of his house was using the computer only to charge his Iphone and everyone can hear all his drama, idiot!!
I expected the front desk to tell him let others use the computer but they didn't, I guess next time I will bring my laptop and just avoid that situation again.
Over all nice hotel, great price and friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HerndonManager, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, October 21, 2010
Thank you very much for your comments, and for your patronage at the Comfort Inn Dulles Airport. We try very hard to ensure the satisfaction of all guests, and we always appreciate hearing feedback as often as we can get it. I do apologize about the situation with the computer; please feel free to alert our staff if this is ever an issue in the future, and we'll make sure to alleviate the problem in a swift manner. Thank you again for choosing the Comfort Inn Dulles Airport.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
warwick, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

Arrived at night after a very long flight and huge wait at immigration. We were tired and irritable. The hotel provided a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel and we had to wait about 10-15 mins which was reasonable (although seems a long time when you are tired). The check in staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and lovely and the free wi-fi and free coffee "on tap" in reception were very welcome. Breakfast was included and was adequate. This was 10 times better than the much more expensive marriott which you paid for coffee, wifi and no breakfast included. The shuttle bus staff and all the staff we met were very friendly and efficient. A good stay and would recommend to anyone

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
HerndonManager, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, October 8, 2010
Thank you very much for your review of our property, as well as for your patronage. At the Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport we strive to offer the very best customer service possible, and we appreciate knowing that we did our jobs in this case. Thank you very much, and we sincerely hope to see you again at the Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport!
Hyderabad
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2010

After a days stay sightseeing in Washington DC we zeroed on this hotel post some price and reviews analysis. The stay was fine and so were the related aspects like room size, breakfast (though basic), internet etc. One could smell the smoke in the coridors but fortunately not in the rooms. The hotel is still good but the ageing does show at a few places. Might be in times to come they need to renovate to keep up the standards..

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
HerndonManager, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, July 23, 2010
Thank you very much for your review, as well as for your patronage. We take our guests' commentary very seriously here at the Comfort Inn Dulles Airport, and we try very hard to ensure the satisfaction of all guests. We recognize that travelers have a lot of various lodging options when they come to the greater Washington DC area, and we sincerely appreciate the fact that you decided to stay at our humble abode. Consequently, we also appreciate you taking the time to write into Trip Advisor, as it helps us to see what we're doing well and in which areas we need to improve. Please do not hesitate to stop in and see us again next time you're in the DC area.
Morgantown, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

Desk clerk had to "check to see if our room was ready". Literally she walked to the room! This being at 10PM and after I had called to verify late check in. Could not find TV remote..but after pulling down bedspread and sheets, there it was made up in bed (does that tell you anything?) What maid would put the TV remote inside the bed.. if the sheets had been changed! Then as we pulled the sheets down a bit more.. to our horror.. fecal marks and another nasty stain where one would slide out of the bed. Immediately called front desk and they sent us clean (?) sheets. One flat and one fitted.. no pillowcases.. needless to say we changed the nasty bed linens ourselves and slept the 4 hours we had before our flight with out clothes on ! Now do you think we will be staying there again, or suggesting it to anyone? NOT A CHANCE! First time I have ever encountered this in all my years of travel! I guess I'm lucky in that sense.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
HerndonManager, Manager at Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, July 2, 2010
I sincerely apologize about the situation regarding your room upon your stay. Please feel free to contact us directly, and we will do anything in our power to remedy the situation for your moving forward.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2010

During a nightmare couple of days trapped in the US due to the volcanic ash incident, I had to move hotels. As it was coming to the end of my trip, I decided to stay close to the airport (Dulles) rather than in the more expensive hotels in the DC area.

I booked through a third party website (hostelbookers.com) and on arrival it turned out that the hotel hadn't received confirmation of my booking. However, the young man at the front desk was incredible and resolved this issue in a matter of minutes.
I got a great rate - half of what I was paying in other hotels closer to DC - and my choice of room type (despite just booking a private single room on the website). I opted for a king size, and was not disappointed.

The room was tastefully furnished, with a super comfortable bed, huge flat screen tv, dvd player, fridge, coffee maker and a great desk with executive chair - which made working there a breeze. The room and hotel overall were spotlessly clean and well appointed.
The "business centre" turns out to be a pc and a printer in the lobby. Printing is free (great for boarding passes!) and there is free high speed internet in the hotel, and chances are if you need a business centre, then you will have your own laptop with you and so the lone pc in the lobby isn't an issue.

The free continental breakfast is the standard rubbish I've come to expect from American cheap and cheerful chain hotels. Toast, bagels, cereal and DIY waffles. There is also no restaurant in the hotel - but these problems are easily solved: the town the hotel is located in has hundreds excellent restaurants, with several within 5 minutes walking distance of the hotel. Presenting your key card often gets you a 10% discount.
There is also a shopping complex close by (10 mins walk) with a Safeway food and drug store, Starbucks, McDonalds, Panera bread, K-mart and several ethnic restaurants, and you can have takeout delivered to the hotel too.

The hotel location is either or excellent depending on where you need to get to. It is very convenient to the airport - but far enough so noise isn't an issue .The hotel shuttle takes about 15 minutes and departs every hour - but be sure to let the front desk know you plan to take the shuttle. You can also call the hotel from the airport and they will send the shuttle to pick you up.
It also seems convenient for business travellers: the area seems to be a technology/business hub, with plenty of office buildings in the surrounding airports.
It is just ok in terms of convenience for sightseeing in DC. As I wasn't hiring a car (parking is difficult to find and expensive in DC) I took the shuttle from the hotel and then an express bus from there to down town DC. Express bus is just $3.20 and gets you to DC in about an hour. In the DC area, it stops at the Rosslyn and L'Enfant plaza metro stations. I recommend using the L'Enfant plaza station as the bus is very popular with commuters and it is no fun to stand for an hour long bus ride.
As it was coming to the end of my stay in DC, I didn't mind that it took so long to get there, but the "commute" like journey would not be suitable for a longer stay focused on the DC area, or for families going in to DC. Maybe renting a car and driving to the metro park and ride might be more suitable for these types of travellers.

Overall, it was a very comfortable hotel with excellent rates, and very convenient to Dulles airport. Lots of excellent restaurants very close by. However, it is a bit far out of the way if you are sightseeing in DC.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
HerndonManager, Manager at Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, May 19, 2010
Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor regarding our property. We work very hard to ensure that each guest's experience is a positive one, and that all of our guests are satisfied. Please feel free to contact us directly in the future if you need any further reservations in the Washington DC area. Thank you for your patronage!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

Was a pleasant surprise with a last minute reservation. Nice, clean, comfortable rooms. Free Airport Shuttle. Friendly staff who aim to please. Breakfast is included & nice. There was no problem in requesting an extended check out time. Everyone was friendly & made me feel great to be back home.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
HerndonManager, Manager at Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, April 28, 2010
Sue, thanks for your patronage and your kind comments. Please let us know if you're ever in the area in the future. We'd be happy to see you again!
oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2010

There I was, expecting to fly all the way from the west coast to Raleigh a couple of weeks ago, but only got as far as Dulles, and it took me until 2 am to get there. My plan to rent a car and start driving was thwarted when I discovered the rental car desks were closed. So I picked up one of those phones in baggage claim and dialed this place because it sounded close.

They were soooo nice, first of all -- when we realized their shuttle had stopped running they cut me a break on the room charge to help defray the cost of the $20 cab fare (including tip). And really the cost wasn't that bad in the first place -- $69.99 for a DC airport hotel (about 6 miles away).

I arrived at 3:00 am, completely exhausted. The hotel lobby was smallish but clean and welcoming, and I already knew the desk staff was friendly and competent. My room was also clean and comfortable. I only slept between about 4:00 and 6:30, but it was perfectly quiet during those hours -- even the heater / a/c in the room wasn't noisy when it came on like they often are.

Free breakfast was decent -- typical muffin/bagel/toaster waffle/cereal kind of thing. Then back to the airport -- this time on the free shuttle. It wasn't a very long stay, granted, but it was a bright spot in a miserable trip. Down sides: they did have wireless, but it was VERRRY slow -- at least that night. Shower pressure was very light, and towels weren't that soft and fluffy. And shuttles don't run at 2:00 am (not that they do anywhere, probably). But really, I thought I was lucky to find it.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
HerndonManager, Manager at Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, March 26, 2010
outtahere, Thank you very much for your kind posting regarding our hotel. We try very hard to accomodate our guests on a situational basis, and I'm happy to see that our desk staff discounted the room rate to compensate for the cab cost. Please feel free to contact us directly anytime that you're in the area, as we'd love to have you back as a return guest. Thanks for traveling!

Been to Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport? Share your experiences!