“Basically a good convenient place, but a few problems” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #18 of 20 hotels in Herndon
Alexandria, Virginia
“Basically a good convenient place, but a few problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

I spent one night here recently, and while the room was pleasant enough, there were some disappointments.

Being on a tight budget, I generally try to choose the best price available among places that have a good TA rating. So because the Comfort Inn had the lowest advertised prices, that was the choice I made. However, the actual rate charged, even with my AAA discount, was some $30 higher than the advertised rate. When I questioned that, I was told I was being given the cheapest regular rate. However, even while passing through the lobby, I heard much cheaper rates being quoted over the phone, so I have to wonder if there was a bit of price-gouging going on because of the blizzards. I didn't feel like going out to find another spot, so settled for the higher prices.

And speaking of blizzards, that brings us to the next problem. Even though the last snowfall had been more than two days previous, the parking lot had not been cleared at all except for a few spots directly in front. When asking about parking, I was directed to the back of the hotel, but there seemingly had been no attempt to clear parking spaces there, and cars were pulled in haphazardly in every direction, just trying to get enough out of the way so they wouldn't get hit. The back steps had not been cleared at all, and had a treacherous layer of ice under over a foot of snow. It took several attempts to get up the steps with my luggage without falling. Yes, the front entrance had been shoveled, but to get to it would have been a long walk through the dark, uncleared parking lot with over a foot of snow.

The room was comfortable and quiet, but had a strong floral odor, perhaps of some air freshener, than was nearly overpowering. It would have been pleasant in small doses, but had been greatly overdone--and I am not usually sensitive to odors at all.

The combination of circumstances made me decide to cut my stay short and move on to another location after just one night.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
HerndonManager, Manager at Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, February 19, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to offer your review of our hotel, and for your patronage. With regard to the rate(s), we do have quite a few accounts with local companies whereby their employees can stay at our property for reduced room rates. I can guarantee you that we do not price gouge at this property, as we have some of the lowest published rates in town.

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Makati, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2010

I was with a group tour from New York (with L&L Travel) last January 6, 2010. The overnight stay was indeed great since the hotel has a very clean atmosphere, the room is orderly with good amenities..plus they have a VERY GOOD internet access for FREE and a FREE BREAKFAST. I was really impressed with my stay.

But on my way to Shenandoah Caverns National Park I realized that my mobile phone was missing and i was really sure that I left it in my hotel room. To make the long story short.. I contacted the hotel and informed them of my predicament, they accommodated my request to send my phone to San Francisco, which was my next destination. After 3 days I got my phone back just in time for my return flight to Manila.

Thanks to the Managers Mark & Elizabeth and the Reception Team for an AMAZING HASSLE FREE CUSTOMER SERVICE! You Rock!!!

Alexis dela Cruz
Hotel guest from the Philippines

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Newbury
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2010

We stayed at this hotel on Christmas Eve on the way from England to Cancun. It couldn't have been better. The free transfer bus was very efficient, the bed was supremely comfortable, there was free coffee/tee etc, and free internet in the lobby. The breakfast was great, and the staff were friendly and efficient. Probably the best price to value ratio I've encountered in a hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
HerndonManager, Manager at Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, January 13, 2010
Thank you for your comments. We appreciate your patronage very much, as well as your feedback. We strive very hard to make our hotel a pleasant experience for all guests, and it's nice to know that we're succeeding in doing so in some manner. Thank you very much, and we hope to see you once again in the future.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2009

I did a two night stay at the Comfort Inn near Dulles Airport during November of 2009. If you're driving from the hotel, Google maps will print out two different routes to get to the hotel. The non-tollway route (if you want to save 25 - 50 cents or so :-) takes between 10 - 15 minutes from the rental car row at Dulles to arrive at the hotel. I would suspect this is also the amount of time it'll take for the Shuttle Bus to arrive at the Terminal, so call the hotel before picking up your luggage from the flight if you intend to get a pickup.

Anyways, the hotel exterior appears to be of the late 1960's/early 1970's variety. It's obvious that the owners have been doing some modernizing and refreshing in certain places, but other (probably not easily changed) elements of the hotel seem pretty worn out or tired (e.g. the stainless steel elevator doors are pretty well scratched up).

Like the rest of the hotel, my room on the third floor appeared to have had some renovations done. The bathroom especially seemed somewhat modernized with a nice deep sink and a bathtub/shower enclosure, and there was the Ethernet port on the wall as promised by the hotel a few reviews earlier here on TripAdvisor. The rest of the room, however, seemed very bare bones: regular CRT (tube) TV, an older fridge (which was noisy & rattling when it turned on and off, but that was an easy fix by just simply unplugging it). I'm guessing that some rooms have been completely modernized (e.g. the suites with the flat screen TV's) and others are still waiting for the finishing touches.

A word of advice regarding internet here: bring your own Ethernet cable and don't expect much. With the investment in new Ethernet ports, the hotel SHOULD provide small Ethernet cables (a.k.a. patch cables) in each room. I think the cables are available at the front desk, but I've been to other hotels where these cables were provided in a drawer or in a bag in the closet (with the caveat that if a guest checks out without leaving the cable behind, there'd be a $15 - $20 charge or so). Anyways, there is wireless internet but wow was it ever one of the most incredibly flakey and intermittent signals and services I've ever encountered at a hotel. If I could pick up a signal and connect to it, I'd frequently see the message "The Internet Connection at this location is currently down" on my browser window. Oh well, I guess one gets what they pay for when it comes to free included hotel Internet. Again, don't expect to be able to do much of anything too intensive or hardcore (i.e. VPN, download movies from Netflix's on-demand service, etc.). There is a computer and printer setup in the front lobby in case you didn't bring a computer and need to get online, or print out your boarding passes, and I thought that was a friendly & useful touch. Free daily newspapers are available in a rack across from the front desk as well. A sign near the front desk advertises discounts at local restuarants, and I ended up going to the nearby "Harvest of India" restaurant and had an incredibly good meal there. I think the discount they tacked on for showing my room key was somewhere between 10% & 20% (more like 10%, if anything), but it seemed like a very nice place for a date, if I had come with someone.

Breakfast was sugar-sweetened and very carbolicious. Waffles, cereal, bagels & danishes, yogurt and hard boiled eggs. Juice, coffee and milk from various dispensers. Runs from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. during the week. There are two shuttle vans on site and one picks up and drops off at the airport on a regular schedule. The schedule board at the front desk says that the van will also take guests to other locations upon request (but airport drop-offs/pick-ups take priority), so that might've saved me $180 in my two day weekday car rental if I had been more aggressive about saving my employer's money.

There's a small exercise room on the 2nd floor. Not sure why the hours for it are limited up to 10 p.m. It's not like there's a guest room underneath it with guests who might be annoyed with exercise noise (one floor below is the hotel's front desk/back office).

On your final bill, you'll see an extra ~$1.50 per day surprise fee for the in-room safe (supposedly to cost the cover of an insurance policy the hotel has). Gee management, we're already paying 13% taxes for being a tourist, why not also tack on additional nickel & dime fees for electricity and heating/cooling as well?

The rate my company booked was about $127 per night, but I called in to the reservations line (to add in my frequent flyer number) and mentioned I had a AAA card and because of this my rate was knocked down to $110 per night. I'd say even this rate is debatable, when there are more modern hotels (Hyatt Place Dulles) for the same amount of money available not too far away. But I'm optimistic things could be freshened up somewhat more, so don't give up hope on the Comfort Inn Dulles and give it a try.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
HerndonManager, Manager at Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport, responded to this review, January 7, 2010
Thank you for your comments. For the record, our property opened as a brand new Comfort Inn in 1985, and we renovated as recently as 2008.

Our breakfast buffet is in line with Choice Hotels' standards for Comfort Inn's. While I recognize that some similar brands do include hot breakfast items, our selection meets and exceeds the choice standards.

Our posted hours for the excercise room are such because we've had complaints from nearby rooms regarding noise from the excercise equipment. As for the rates, we are constantly looking at our rate structure with regard to the other area hotels, and we have made changes accordingly. I am newly in charge of handling rates and revenue, so this is something to which I will be paying close attention moving forward. Thanks again for your imput.
ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2009

We recently stayed here while visiting Washington DC. Getting this room off Hotwire made this even better. The room was very spacious. This was the third hotel in the third city that we stayed in during our vacation. It was by far the cheapest but the best. Wish it had a pool but it wasn't a big deal. This hotel is located within a decent distance from the city. We drove to the metro station and caught the subway in without any problems. Also the city has free parking on the weekends which was a bonus. We were able to check in early but just asking. I will look into this hotel again when we return to the city.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Kenmore, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

We were very satisfied with our stay and the price was very good--our average price was about $65 per night. (Original price was $113 but we found a better price on Hotels.com.) I have stayed at many moderately priced hotels and this one was up there. It was not luxury, but the rooms were clean and the bed was comfortable. I had no trouble with the wi-fi. A microwave in the room would have been nice.

I experienced some delays in the front desk answering the phone, but they were prompt most of the time. Most of the staff were friendly and helpful, but a few were "cool." Not rude but not going out of their way to be helpful, either.

The hotel has a breakfast buffet with hard boiled eggs, yogurt, muffins, waffles, bread, etc. They have a shuttle van that was very helpful. We were nervous when we first arrived because it took a long time for the shuttle to get the airport, but after that it was fine. They took us to a bus stop every morning so that we could head into DC, and picked us up most evenings. We took a cab a couple of times because they did not seem to want to come to the restaurant we were at and our feet were sore, but on another evening, they took us to and picked us up from a restaurant.

The downside of this hotel for DC tourists is that it is about an hour commute from downtown. We made the choice to commute rather than pay high rates or stay in a less-than-safe location. You take the 505 Fairfax Connector to the West Falls Church Metro station, and from there, take the orange line into DC. For the most part, the rides were pleasant except on the day of the Cherry Blossom Parade, when the Metros were all packed.

If you stay here, you can walk to an Outback Steakhouse, an OK Italian restaurant and a Dunkin' Donuts. We recommend taking the shuttle to Reston and going to McCormick & Schmicks and/or Jackson's.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2009

I stayed at the Dulles Comfort Inn for one night in Jan 09. I had a king suite with a VERY comfortable bed and a plasma TV. The breakfast in the morning was OK. There are also several places nearby to eat. The shuttle service to and from the airport was very convenient.

• Liked — airport shuttle
  • Disliked — the knowledge of the person at the counter concerning the local area
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Comfort Inn Dulles International Airport? Share your experiences!