“I always come back to this Embassy Suites.” 5 of 5 stars

Park, Stay and Fly
Ranked #2 of 20 hotels in Herndon
GreenLeadersGold level
Coudersport, Pennsylvania, USA
“I always come back to this Embassy Suites.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

I travel to the Herndon area frequently. Over the last five years or so, I've made more than 50 trips to Herndon for work. Sometimes I travel alone, sometimes with team members. I have tried pretty much all the hotels in the area, but now I always come back to the Embassy Suites Dulles Airport. I will not stray again, unless the property is booked for my travel dates.

The thing that keeps me returning, trip after trip, is the customer service. The customer service at this hotel is beyond compare. The front desk staff always greet me and my team warmly, and they make extra efforts to remember our names. The breakfast staff is pleasant, friendly, and helpful, without being overbearing. The made to order breakfast is tasty and the selection is good. The young lady who cooks breakfast for guests is so sweet and cheery! Housekeeping and maintenance are friendly and acknowledge guests with a smile and a nod, or a "good morning!" when passing in the hallways. It seems even the guests are friendlier at this location, maybe because the staff exudes a quiet, confident warmth. Almost every time I get in an elevator or pass a guest in the hall, I am greeted with a nod, a smile, and a polite comment. It's all unobtrusive, and seems genuine, and comfortable. My team adores the manager's reception in the evenings, with free drinks and snacks. The snacks are good quality, and again, the staff is always pleasant. The property is a little older (not "old", just not brand-spankin'-new), but over the last few years they have made strides to update the property and furnishings, to ensure everything is in good shape for their guests. They are always responsive to any trouble, no matter how minor. The hotel has a shuttle service, and they are happy to take travelers to nearby restaurants and shopping, and will come pick you up when you're ready to come back. This is an invaluable service when taking my team out for dinner and a few drinks, and the driver is always pleasant. Last winter, they even took us to a pub in "downtown Herndon" during a snowstorm so we could watch the Sabres game at Jimmy's!

The rooms are very spacious, quiet, clean, and well appointed, and the prices for the rooms are very competitive for the area. You get so much more, for the same or less than other properties in and around Herndon. The bottom line, though, is that a hotel room isn't much different than any other - it's not "home." The thing that makes the difference at this location is the people - a guest gets the feeling that they genuinely care, they are friendly and accomodating, and their customer service makes a guest feel at home. This is property is a sterling example of how the hospitality industry should operate.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
esdullesairport, General Manager at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport, responded to this review, December 21, 2010
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel. We are grateful for your comments and very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to serving as your hosts again very soon.

408 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
San Marcos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

The entire staff here stays on top of things. From the time you walk in the front door to the time you leave you are treated as a valued customer. Wait staff Excellent, Housekeeping staff excellent, cooking staff excellent. Office Manager Mr. Barinder Ghattoura is the stand out superstar of the operation! Daytime manager John also really takes care of business. Embassy Suites and the Hilton Family of hotels really got something right at this property.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Thank you so very much for taking the time to review our hotel. Your comments are truly appreciated. We are so very happy that you enjoy staying with us.

Anchorage, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

My stay at this location was one of the most customer friendly stays I've stayed at in the area. The previous comments from the person about the swans, telephones, manager and staff seem to be talking of another hotel. I was in a Handicapped room, but hardly got any water on the floor. Hmmm. I'm not a veterinarian, but the swans seemed content. They even seemed to enjoy the company of the staff that was feeding them. The manager was at breakfast and seemed to make it a point to make sure the guest, including my co-workers and I, were having a great stay. Overall, I was very happy with my stay and will definitely come back to this hotel any time I'm in the area. Some people just can't be happy with great service and have to find something to complain about. Also, for the record, I am an employee of a well known shipping company and not of the hotel. Thanks.

San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

I've stayed at this Embassy a few times, give it's location to my office. However, every single time is a dissapointment. Coworkers of my corporation have had similiar bad experiences and avoid the place like the plague.

I tried to give it the benefit of the doubt and stayed one more time. I am a diamond member of hilton. I arrive at the hotel, only to get a room tucked away in the corner near the vending maching. I specifically asked for a "quiet room away from vending." To make things worse they gave me a room without a bathtub, apparently the water just makes the entire bathroom floor wet.

The manager of the hotel would not switch rooms, saying they were sold out. I booked this weeks ago as a diamond member, you would expect better service and a better room.

To make things worse, I go to my room and its completely outdated, dirty, dusty and has bugs in it. I found a roach in the bathroom. The bathrub is old and has cracks all through the floors. The sheets had holes in them and were paper thin. The phones were so old, there were 2 in the room, 1 did not work period. They other had buttons that were falling off, could not even dial the front desk. Also, had very poor cell coverage and wireless coverage, could not even make a phone call or connect on the PC withou the connection dropping. The furniture was chipping and carpet smelled...it was a sub-par embassy more on par with a motel 6 only with 2 rooms. They have 2 poor swans that have about 50 feet of swimming space to go back and forth all day for the rest of their lives. They look very trapped and sad.

When I finally called the manager and begged him to swithc my room into a normal room, he said he has no other rooms and does not have the time to listen to me. He then hung up the phone. Needless to say I filed a complaint with Hilton and left to stay at another hilton hotel in the area which was excellent.

I normally don't write reviews but want to warn innocent travellers, if you are expecting this to be a normal Embassy, please set your expecations low.

This is a repeated incident. This is one case in which the positive reviews don't make sense. Watch out, could be the hotel staff making their own reviews.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
esdullesairport, General Manager at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport, responded to this review, December 14, 2010
Dear Calpsu

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your visit to our hotel last week. I wish I would have had the opportunity to discuss the situation with you before you left to move to the other hotel. I apologize that you were unhappy with the location of the suite and that it was an accessible room with a roll in shower. We do our best to accommodate all room requests; on sold out nights it is not always possible. In your particular situation, you were assigned to a suite which was far from the elevator, a request that was stated in your reservation. Unfortunately, the request for “a quiet room away from vending” was not noted and we were unable to change the room due to our sold out status. I will follow up with Hilton Honors and if I can add that to your profile I will do so.

Regarding the condition of the suite, I must admit that I was surprised to read your comments. All of us at the Embassy Suites Dulles Airport are committed to providing a meticulously clean and well maintained environment for our guests. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping and engineering departments (in an educational and constructive manner) so that we may grow as an organization, learn from your experience, and offer a consistent and exceptional product.

We are gratified by the positive Trip Advisor reviews that we have received. I can promise you that nobody on our team is “making their own reviews”. We appreciate all guest feedback and comments and try to learn from any mistakes we have made.

I would be happy to discuss your experience with you. Please feel free to correspond via email at jon.kranock@hilton.com or you may call me directly at 703-464-4430.

Jon Kranock, General Manager
Lake Forest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2010

I have never seen service at the level this property. Mr. Barinder Ghattoura is the most accommodating, friendly and caring manager I've ever met in all my years of travel at any hotel chain or property. His leadership is a great example to other hotel employees which has proven to be contagious amongst the other employees.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
esdullesairport, General Manager at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport, responded to this review, December 27, 2010
Dear jimjawells,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to let us know you enjoy staying at our hotel. We are grateful for your loyalty and continued patronage. I will be sure to share your comments with Barinder and the rest of our team.

Wellington, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2010

I travel alot for business, I'm a top tier card holder at several hotel chain's. I travel all over the world and this hotel is at the top of the list,great place great staff. The nly thing that could been better is the bathroom is a little small the rest of the room was very spacious.
Thanks to everyone

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear melaniejajac,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed staying at our hotel. We look forward to serving as your hosts again very soon.

Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

The service was professional, and welcoming. Had a weekend package that included tickets for the IMAX at the National Air and Space Museum - Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. Upon arrival, they did not have them ready. However, the Front Desk told us to bring back the receipt and they would reimburse us immediately. As promised they did...in cash! Our suite was clean and comfortable. The hot "made to order" breakfast was delicious and fresh. The indoor pool and whirlpool was clean. It even had a Lifeguard! My young daughter was thrilled to feed George and Martha (the Royal Swans). I would definitely return to this location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dear gomummy,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to let us know you enjoy staying at our hotel. We so glad you enjoyed the Air & Space Museum package. The exhibits at the museum are truly amazing.

Jon Kranock - General Manager

Been to Embassy Suites Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!