“No a/c and Internet charge w/o computer?” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Park, Stay and Fly
Ranked #2 of 20 hotels in Herndon
PA
“No a/c and Internet charge w/o computer?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

I am writing this review from the hotel lobby... Last night the a/c broke down. They never called to let the guest know. We figure it out because we were sweating inside the room. The brought us 2 fans. I assume this a/c is been broken for a while because they were prepared to bring us the fans.
This morning we got an Internet bill (already applied to the credit card). We had our devices "on" but we were not supposed to be charged due to the Hilton honor membership. Anyways they charged us and when I called they just said " yes, we know". What is that? If you know, why do you keep charging people! I guess this people charge you expecting you not to complain. To my surprise they also charged my in-laws and THEY DON'T HAVE A COMPUTER WITH THEM!
BE AWARE! They will charge everybody and if you don't check your bill, they will keep the money!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Jeffrey O, General Manager at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you so much for your feedback. Please accept my apology for the issues that you cited about your stay. Here at the Embassy Suites Dulles, we take pride in the high level of service that we provide to our guests and the cleanliness of our property. I am disappointed to learn that we fell short of your expectations.

We will follow up as required to make sure that corrective action is taken.

Kindly let me know if I can assist with anything before or during your next visit.

393 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Indialantic, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I travel to the Herndon-Reston area on business every other week. No hotel in the area can match the hospitality, comfort and convenience as this Embassy Suites. All the staff, especially Jeff, Elsa and Paola, are attentive to every need and provide a sincere "welcome back" greeting on each visit

Room Tip: At times when the hotel is completely full (and especially when there may be many families with kids...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback. You are very kind!

We are always glad to have you back! You are one of our favorite guests. You are very important to us. Our goal is to make the Embassy Suites Dulles your "home away from home" whenever you are in the area.

Kindly let me know if I can assist with anything before or during your next visit to the area.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

My family recently stayed here for 4 nights over the Easter holiday. We chose this hotel and location based on space and price and I believe we got what we paid for. It's about a half hour outside of Washington as long as you don't get stuck in traffic.

Room has a separate living area with a pull out sofa, chair, desk, flat screen tv, mini fridge and sink. Bathroom was of decent size. There was one king bed in the bedroom with another flat screen tv, desk and closet. We would have preferred a two bedroom suite or at least two beds but this is all they had left and there was more than enough room to spread out.

Our room location was right by the elevator but didn't hear a peep from the hallways.

The free hot breakfast was decent for most people's diets. There was made to order eggs and omelettes as well as bacon, sausage, hash browns, toast, bagels, english muffins, danishes, oatmeal, cut up melon and pineapple, bananas, apples. We eat a plant based diet so for us it was limiting. Even the oatmeal had milk in it. The employees here were lovely.

The pool was small but fun. Lots of kids in it everyday. Lifeguard texted on his phone most of the time. Even my children noticed and pointed it out. Fitness centre was basic but decent enough.

The cons:

1. Housekeeping was sloppy and very basic even with a decent daily tip. Basically they make your bed, take your towels and wash your glasses. No wiping down of surfaces or vacuuming. Didn't replace toilet paper one time. The first night there were no bath towels and I didn't realize it until I was going to take a shower the next morning. The second and third night we had to call down to the front desk to say that although housekeeping came, they did not replace the towels. We were told they would be up later after they were washed!

2. There were never enough utensils at breakfast. Even though we were often the first to arrive at opening in the morning there were never any knives (the first day) or forks (the second day). When we asked for cutlery they told us they would bring some out soon as they were being washed. Not acceptable to open a restaurant in the morning with no clean forks or knives. Many people very frustrated.

3. What's with the two poor swans swimming back and forth in a very tiny indoor pool (puddle) of water in the lobby for the guests amusement? Cruel, disturbing and unacceptable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest:

We appreciate your feedback. Please accept my apology for the issues that you cited about your stay. Here at the Embassy Suites Dulles, we take pride in the high level of service that we provide to our guests and the cleanliness of our property. I am disappointed to learn that we fell short of your expectations.

Morristown, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Stayed for a night at what I think is a great sub-$100 rate. It is because of this room rate that I give it a "4" rather than a "3". For a family of five, with free breakfast and manager's reception, and large suites, you can't beat it.

Breakfast closed at 9:30am, but there was still a line at the hot food station so they kept it open beyond 9:30. There was bacon missing at the chafing dishes and the man refilled it after closing. This is contrary to a Hyatt Place where I experienced them not refilling items 20 minutes before close time. So I have to give them credit on this front.

Check in was too long a wait, the single person behind the counter was not enough, he was even answering phones at the same time. We had a reservation for five people, but only three towels were in the room. When we asked a chamermaid in the hall next morning, she was very quick to get us two more towels.

The rooms were not altoghether clean. The dark interior/furnishings/carpet showed all the lint and stuff on the floors - defintely more than you'd expect. Sheets had small grease stains. Mirrored closet door was cracked at bottom. Doors were filthy. Bath door handle was pitted and missing the lock mechanism. Beds were soft to the point I'm thinking it's time for replacement. I'm surprised that an Embassy Suites get's away with the less-than-clean and run-down appearance. I did notice workers on the second floor so perhaps they're getting things updated.

While nothing else is within walking distance, the clock tower shopping center is a very short drive, with a plethora of eating choices and a supermarket. We tried the noodle place, a chain, which was OK for call-ahead takeout. There were also good reviews for the kitbar, but we didn't make it. There are plenty more choices just on the other side of the tollway.

George and Martha, two swans in the atrium, were a unique, classy touch.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Saratoga Springs, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a weekend stay so we could visit the Udvar-Hazy Air & Space Museum. We chose the hotel due to the brand name, in house bar & complimentary shuttle. We considered local area restaurants, too.

The staff were friendly and very helfpul. Could not have asked for better.

The shuttle service to and from the museum and airport was great. Saved us cab fare and $15 a day parking at the museym so we tipped the driver and still saved money. Transportation is a big plus for us. No hassle of driving/parking and saved money.

Good to hear the hotel is being refreshed. It is definately showing signs of age, wear and tear. Everything was clean but the details are missing to rate this hotel above average.

When we arrived Friday night at 9:30pm we were looking forward to a nice drink and relaxation at the hotel bar. By the time we dropped our bags in the room and got down the bar/atrium it was last call (closes at 10pm) and the relaxation was hampered by the noisy bus loads of kids on tour. Not a big deal except the hotel bar was a selection criteria and left us mildly disappointed. It didn't open on Saturday until 5pm and we were ready at 4:30 after a good day at the museum so we left and walked to a local restaurant. Had we known there was a grocery around the corner, we could have gotten a bottle of wine and snacks for our own happy hour before the bar opened. OH well.

We would stay again based on the cleanliness, breakfast and shuttle service and very friendly staff. Not so much for the bar and relaxing atrium.

Room Tip: Remember school kids travel around DC (spring and fall?) and can be found in mass at these hotels...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Mansfield, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I hate having to write these when a property has such good staff. However, my fellow travelers need to know when a physical property needs work. This property needs work. My co-worker had his room flood. My room the bathroom tub was missing all of the caulk between the tub and the tile and they floor and tub and the tub itself and tile were grungy. As previously stated the staff was great, but the property itself shows wear that housekeeping and engineering need to step up their game. Interestingly the lack of this information on maintenance seems to be an epidemic in the Dulles arena and it may be that they workers are going from one property to another and destroying quality on the way. This property is a good rating, and I am confident we will stay again but just be aware it is in decline.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Jeffrey O, General Manager at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback about your recent stay. We will continue to work to improve our service delivery. Please note that the property is currently undergoing a refresh. The refresh will be completed by the end of this month. We hope that you will come back and see our gorgeous new rooms the next time that you are in the area.

GM
Smithtown, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I had a to take a quick business trip to Herndon, Virginia, and I chose the Embassy Suites Dulles.

Location:
Very easy to find and convenient to my office I was visiting in Herndon.

Check In:
Staff was incredibly friendly and found my reservation immediately. Within two minutes, I had my room key and was on my way up to the room via the glass elevator that looks over the typical Embassy Suites atrium.

Happy Hour:
Sadly, I checked in after happy hour was over, but the fact that Embassy Suites does this is a huge plus!

Room:
The room was spacious and clean. As is typical with Embassy Suites, there is a living area when you first walk in and a bedroom in the back. I had asked for a King Suite, but was give a room with two double beds. Since I was alone, this wasn't a big deal. Living area was very comfortable and there was a large flat screen TV in the living area as well as one in the bedroom. Very nice work desk and wet bar area.

WIFI:
This is my biggest pet peeves with hotels. THROW IN THE FREE WIFI!!! Embassy Suites, sadly, charges for WIFI. That to me is a full 1 star reduction, otherwise, this would have been a flawless stay.

Quietness:
There was a moment in the night where I could hear a baby crying in one of the adjacent rooms. However, this just reminded me of home. Babies cry. It didn't last long. Besides that, it was a very quiet stay, which I appreciated.

Breakfast:
Embassy Suites is famous for it breakfast setup in the atrium. Fresh eggs, toast, juice, coffee....everything you need to get your day started.

Swans:
Yes, swans....this Embassy Suites has two resident swans that live in the pond in the atrium. Nice touch, Embassy Suites!

Overall impression:
This was a very nice experience at the hotel. The only thing that left me with a bad taste in my mouth is the charging for WIFI. In this day and age, hotels should include it just like a regular amenity. I understand that everyone is charging for convenience these days, bags on airplanes, etc, but come on hotels, it's time to give up the free wifi!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your feedback about your recent stay. We will continue to work to improve our service delivery. We will never take your business for granted.

GM

Been to Embassy Suites Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!