“Wonderful Stay!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Mendon, New York
“Wonderful Stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2008

We stayed here for a long weekend during spring break along with another family to visit D.C. The other family always stays at Embassy Suites, so we followed their lead. We had never stayed at an Embassy Suites and were very impressed. The staff was so friendly, room clean, bed comfortable and a great breakfast each morning to top it all off. We will definitely will look for Embassy Suites in all of our future travels!

p.s. It was only about a 22 minute drive to get into D.C. and the free parking at the hotel was another bonus.

• Liked — Layout of the hotel and breakfast
  • Disliked — Distance from D.C. but price made up for it!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Northern CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2008

I booked two nights at the Embassy Suites in Herndon, VA, on Expedia over a weekend when my son and I were doing some college tours. This hotel has my highest recommendation.
Room: The room was a true suite, not a plain room with a loveseat. It had a sitting area with a sofa, chair, desk and chair, coffee table, and TV. There was a small food prep area with a sink, micro, and fridge. Next, a more than adequate bath. And finally, a bedroom with two double beds, a closet, a TV in an armoire, another desk table, and a bedside table. And the beds were extremely comfortable.
Decor: The entire hotel spoke of class and elegance. There were two resident swans in the lobby pool, with windowed elevators that overlooked the tropical setting. The dark wood, furniture and fixtures gave the hotel a look of elegance without making us feel out of place.
Food: the complimentary breakfast had everything any reasonable person could ask. Five fresh fruits, pastries, bagels and breads, four cold cereals and one hot, three juices, fresh coffees, and then a cooking station that made omelets, bacon, and sausage. Each night there were free snacks and beverages for two hours. We had one evening meal at the hotel and the steak was cooked to perfection.
But the most impressive aspect of the hotel to me was the graciousness of the employees -- all of them, from the front desk through housekeeping and maintenance. Each of them made eye contact and asked how our stay was going. The people on the front desk couldn't have been more accomodating and helpful. They clearly took pride in their hotel.
What a great place to stay! You could't make a better choice.

• Liked — The graciousness of the staff, from top to bottom. Extremely professional.
  • Disliked — The only downside was having to leave at the end of our stay.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Melbourne, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2008

First time here. MY room was clean and fresh. All ES's have the same floor plan - the difference is in the furnishings and this one was nicely done. The lighting is a bit dim, but that's just going to be life with fluorescent bulbs.

Based on previous reviews, I took my flashlight and looked in every corner and under all furniture (had some time on my hands...) I did not see a single bug or mystery object. Not one. Just a normal hotel room, which I enjoyed.

Breakfast was ES standard, served by happy helpful people.
Also, "Eric" at the front desk went above and beyond for our party's special needs at check-in.

My Road Warrior advice: Lot's of hotel choices in the area. I've stayed at Marriott and Hilton, and this place is just as nice. Depends on what you want - Hilton has Huge flat TV's, Embassy has a bigger room, etc.

Don't be afraid of staying here.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for a vacation in the area. I actually really liked the hotel. I did not see any bugs that the last review mentioned. There was some dust in the corners of the room but overall it was a comfortable stay. The staff was really nice and friendly and helped out whenever they could.
I would consider staying at this hotel again if I was ever back in the area. I really had no problems and enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel a few times on business trips. During last months trip I found a bug on the wall. I was able to catch it and ask my coworkers what it was. They all said it was a roach. I have never seen one before. When checking out I notified the front desk. They gave me a free night but that didn't really do much for me since the company was paying for it. I figured it was probably an isolated incident and let it go. Well I made the mistake of coming back this month. When I woke up in the morning there was a roach at the foot of the bed. I was able to catch it in a glass and took it to the front desk. They didn't seem surprised and offered to move me to a different room. I told them this was the second time this has happened and did they really think a differnent room would make a difference? I was in a differnet room and floor last time. This obviously isn't a isolated thing. I would avoid this place. I unfortunately only had a cell phone so it is hard to get a close up pic.

• Liked — Room Size
  • Disliked — Roaches
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Troy, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2007

After a 16hour flight we arrived at the hotel at 7:30am and by 8am we had a room. That is what I call accomodating guests. Breakfast was appetizingly good. We had a good stay, food was generous, staff friendly and hospitable. Room was clean and quite big with a lounge and microwave, extra sink and fridge. We had a good stay and will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2007

We stayed at this hotel most of this week and it's just a dump. Poor swans stuck in the tiny fountain in the center. They looked bored and sad.
The room was not very clean - built up crud around the TV, nasty carpet, hairs in the bathroom when we checked in. Smelled so strongly of disinfectant (or bug spray) I had to keep the door open for about 30 minutes to air it out. I saw several tiny ants in the bathroom and my husband was bitten by something - probably an ant.

Decor is really pathetic - fake plants in the atrium and balconies. Room decor circa 1986 - couch of the same era and swaybacked as an old mule. No wifi in the room - access via ethernet was limited to the desk only where the one plug in was located. The lights from the parking lot were blinding and took a lot of manuevering to get the curtains set to block it out. Any break in the curtains light up the room like broad daylight.

Staff was not very helpful. No regular coffee packet in the room and 4 calls to the front desk were ignored and I finally went down to get it myself. A request for late check out was only accepted after my husband kept insisting that as a diamond that is a common courtesy. The grudgingly gave us until 1:30 - a whole hour and a half after normal checkout.
Breakfast was adequate but on 2 mornings they were out of coffee.

We paid $219/night and at that price I expect something a little cleaner and nicer.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!