“Sweet fearfully experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Sweet fearfully experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Myself, my wife and my 13 yrs. daughter stayed in this hotel for a night on 21st. May '12. Very good place to stay. Big room, clean washroom with stain free towels. There is basically two bed room. We dumped our luggage in the 1st. Room. I was little bit unwell on that day.I was sleeping at about 11 pm. Suddenly fire alarm started ringing. My wife called me to find out the cause of alarm. I saw here and there inside the room, but nothing was found. Then I opened the main door and saw all the lights are blinking and people's are running with their money bag and little emergency clothes. I watched them carefully and came back to room and called to the reception to know the reason of fire alarm. They tolled me that don't worry, it will stop within 15 mints. I didn't ask any more question. Then I did some shooting of light blinking.
Buffet breakfast was very good.

Room Tip: Nothing significant
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
connorysh, Manager at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport. We apologize for the false fire alarm.

Hope you will return to us again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Barnegat NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

Nice staff and treated well. However rooms are getting very worn out. Carpets had to many stains to count. I will try the Hilton down the road next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
connorysh, Manager at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport. You are right that you do have many choices when it comes to hotels and we want to be your first choice. We hope you will reconsider and come back to give us another try.
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

I stayed here for one night on a business trip. My colleague and I arrived only to find out that there was a problem with his room and he had been moved to a Sheraton nearby. The hotel employee offered an apology but no way for him to get there, asking us to call back the cab that had dropped us off and left the property. Clearly it was not acceptable for my colleague to pay for transportation to make up for the hotel's error so eventually the employee called the airport shuttle to bring him to his substitute hotel.

The second you enter this property you want to renovate it. Everything has a very dated look from the lobby to the breakfast area and the rooms. There were stains all over the carpet in my room, the furniture was sagging and old, the linens were not sufficiently clean and at least 4 light bulbs were missing, unscrewed or did not work. All of this would have guaranteed that I would never come back to this hotel, but that was just the beginning.

I visited this hotel in July on a day where the high temp was 100 degrees and the low was in the 80's and the air conditioning in my room was broken. It was obvious that the hotel knew this because the thermostat was set to 60 degrees and yet the room had to have been 90 degrees. I called the desk (this was around 10pm) and was told that they would send the maintenance man right up. 45 minutes later I tried to call the desk five times, all busy signals. I went down to the front desk to ask and was told the maintenance person left at 10:30 and wasn't back until 11:30. At 11:45 I went back downstairs to check and finally at 12am the maintenance person came. The maintenance person wore no uniform and didn't announce himself at the door. Essentially I was supposed to let a male stranger in street clothes into my room. Out of desperation I did. He turned the HVAC off and on for 1 minutes, then told me my only option was a fan (which he had conveniently left in the hallway!). Better yet, the fan was filthy and dusty! I went down to the front desk and was told that that was indeed my only option, no other room at that hotel or another. Not only did the hotel staff force me to stay up from 10pm to 12:30am but they clearly knew my AC wasn't working all along and hoped I'd go away.

If you have read about the ridiculousness of my stay you might assume my room was comped. You would be wrong. I barely slept in the stifling dirty room and yet I received a measly 25% discount. Further, the breakfast buffet is nothing like the photos so expect the bare minimum. Not that you'd want to eat a meal from anyplace this dirty.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive review of your stay at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport. Without objective and constructive criticism of our challenges we cannot hope to improve. We have addressed the concerns you pointed out with the appropriate departments and corrective actions have been put in place.

We hope to see you in the future so that you can have a more positive experience with us.
Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Rooms were very spacious and bed was very comfortable. The glass elevator looking down into the lobby is a good view, and the swans in the lobby are fun to watch. Also, I did get a free breakfast every morning, plus free drinks and snacks from 5:30 - 7:30 pm, which was awesome. The biggest negative is that the rooms and decor just feels a bit dated.

I didn't experience any problems, and the staff was very friendly.

Hotel is extremely close to Dulles Airport, but a decent haul from DCA or the main Washington, DC attractions.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
connorysh, Manager at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Dear spolcecsekr7, thanks for sharing your experiences at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport. Without constructive feedback from our guests we cannot improve. We have noted your observations about the decor. We are glad you like the size and comfort of the rooms , plus the breakfast and evening reception.

Hope to see you back with us soon.
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

If you absolutely need to stay near Dulles (and many people do cause this place is right next to the airport), you definitely could do far worse than stay here. But when you're paying the government rate ($170/night) for your room, you should get better, far better. In general, Embassy Suites are average, reliable, mid-level hotels good for both business and pleasure. This one is trying to be better than average, but it's too worn around the edges to meet the standard. The property just feels "old," like it hasn't really had any significant makeover of the rooms, the furnishings or the paint job since it was built, whenever that was. My room was clean enough, but there was a water stain on the floor behind the toilet that should have been cleaned long ago. Upon my arrival (late, due to a late plane) at around 11pm, I was hoping to check in and then iron my business outfits for my very early meetings the next day. But, guess what...no iron (did the previous guest steal it?). I called down to the front desk, who told me I'd have to wait till 11:30pm cause there was no one else on duty to bring it to me. At 11:45, still sans iron, I called again, asking if I could come get it myself. The new clerk had no idea what I was talking about; fortunately, after 5 minute wait, she found one and I went and got it myself. I wasn't happy, to say the least. The next afternoon, after returning from my meetings, I found a very nice letter of "apology for the inconvenience" from the manager with a $25 coupon to be used downstairs in Marty's restaurant (food was "OK" nothing special). That was the right thing to do. I used the spa and pool - nothing special there. I should add that most of the staff were very pleasant and helpful (one of the driver's drove me 3-4 miles to a Dr.'s appointment). It's just the place has a tired, weary, slightly downmarket feel. The Royal Swans - George and Martha - are kinda cool. Overall, you could do better for the money, you could do a lot worse. I wish I could be more enthusiastic about the place, but I can't.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
connorysh, Manager at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write such a comprehensive account of your stay at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport. We regret that you didn't find your entire stay satisfactory. Thank you for the comments about the staff "pleasant and helpful". We hope you have the chance to return soon so we can ensure a more positive experience.

Thank you.
West Chester, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

After a very long drive it was so nice to walk in and feel so warmly welcomed by the front desk. Freshly made cookies were a lovely surprise as well as the Swans--George and Martha. The room was so comfortable and the service fantastic. It was an overall delightful experience.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
connorysh, Manager at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences at Embassy Suties Dulles Airport. We are glad you fell in love with George and Martha and found our service "fantastic".

Hope to see you again soon.
Herndon, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

First let me say that I am a HUGE fan of Embassy Suites properties. I am writing this as I am waiting for a taxi to take me to a different hotel. I checked in a 3pm and my room wasn't ready - no big deal... Got my room key 20minutes later. Room wawVery dirty - Hair in the bathroom sink, toilet, and floor. Sticky glob on the bathroom sink (Not sure what it is). Very worn out love seat in the front room. This property is not up to the Embassy Suites brand. People at desk were very friendly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
First, thank you for taking the the time to share your experience at Embassy Suites Dulles Airport. We regret that it was not a positive one. There is no excuse for being checked into a room that obviously is not ready for a new guest arrival. Please know this is not our usual practice and we are sorry this happened to you. We have addressed the issues you faced with the appropriate departments.

We know you have a lot of choices in terms of hotels and hope you are able to give us another chance in the future.

Thank you.

Been to Embassy Suites Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!