“The hotel with a 'can do' attitude” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
cheshire
“The hotel with a 'can do' attitude”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

Ok, so most HIEs are much the same but this one stands out because the staff are exceptional. Nothing is too much trouble, from checking in to the shuttle back to the airport which took us directly to the car rental place.
The only downside was that when we arrived, tired and hot from a long flight from the UK the hotel shuttle seemed to take ages to come, so we took a taxi. It would have been good to know approximately when a shuttle might be due, it was chaos at the hotel shuttle area at Dulles.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Surrey, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My elderly mum and I stayed here 2 nights 10-11 September. We walked in and were greeted warmly by the staff and fresh baked chocolate chip cookies were at the table. We were handed a paper bag with 2 water bottles and a choice of snacks to take up to our room. The room was comfortable, nice sheets and towels and a decent list of TV channels to choose from and a complimentary newspaper was offered. There was a chocolate on our pillow and a notice of the next day's weather. All the staff from the cleaning staff to the maintenance men greeted us cordially and with a smile when we passed them in the hallway. Breakfast was adequate too. I think the management here tries very hard to make this a nice experience and it was. Thanks to everybody at the hotel. It is well managed and friendly! For a nice snack, try "Hot Bread" in the shopping centre across from the hotel; we had a vegetarian puff pastry that was tasty.

Room Tip: 4th floor was fine.
Green Features: I really liked that the hotel chain recycles leftover soap for 3rd world countries.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnDulles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Reston Herndon-Dulles Airport, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Pate-in-Surrey,

I think the part of your review I like most of all is the way you note how friendly the staff is, and that each member you encountered made you feel welcomed. That's exactly what we are aiming for, and I think that's what sets us apart from many hotels in the area. Those freshly baked chocolate cookies are always appreciated, but there's nothing to make someone feel like they're at their "home away from home" like a staff that works hard to make you comfortable. Thank you so much for sharing your comments.

Patrick Foley
Panama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, the front desk clerks and the driver were amazing, the hotel has a nice location and not to far from Dulles. The rooms were clean and breakfast was splendid. I will def will be coming back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Newport News, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I had to pick up a relative at Dulles Airport and decided to stay overnight rather than drive home during the Labor Day traffic. This hotel had an extremely good rate for the night. Check in was quick and easy and I noticed that they had shuttle service to the airport. The room was small but it was clean. The only downside to the room was some people have complained about the air conditioner and I have to agree. Every time the air conditioner reached the set level it would shut off and it made a loud noise when it shut down. During the night the air conditioner would cycle off and on and it seemed I woke up every time it turned off. Maybe I should have asked for another room. As I wrote the rate was very good but I did not get a good night’s sleep. I woke up early the next morning and the hotel offered a free breakfast starting at 6:00 am. They have a very nice selection of breakfast items and everything was at the proper temperature.
The hotel does not have a pool but there are a lot of nice restaurants in the area. The next time I have to stay over when I am in the area I am not sure I would stay here again because of the air conditioner noise.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
HolidayInnDulles, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Reston Herndon-Dulles Airport, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for letting me know about your recent visit. I'm glad to hear you found the room to be clean, the service good, and the shuttle and breakfast an added value.

Our maintenance staff is working to make sure the air conditioners do not make noise as they cycle on and off, but the only way to know which ones are causing a problem is when the guests tell us the room number. If you recall the room number (or let me know your name and dates of stay) we can correct the problem. Please feel free to contact me at Patrick.Foley@bfsaul.com

Thank you very much for helping us improve our service. We look forward to your next visit.

Patrick M. Foley, CHA
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Plenty of room for the bus number 1.

The room was very spacious number 2.

King sized bed, big screen TV, the Breakfast was great, with peach yogurt! I love it!

Plenty of options around if you want to grab a bite to eat.

The iron was clean and the iron board didn't wabble.

I'll be back if I can!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Super comfortable, affordable place to stay, got room at last minute. Super friendly staff, very clean room, would happily stay here again (and probably will if/when I return to area!). There are plenty of dining options nearby as well. Stayed here one night in August 2013.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We were very pleased with our stay. Staff was professional, very helpful and accommodating. The room was nice and clean and it was an overall quiet atmosphere. We couldn't enjoy the breakfast, because we had to leave too early.
The shuttle driver was very professional and courteous.
We'll be back

Room Tip: Try to book about 2 weeks in advance.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
HIExpressHerndon, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Reston Herndon-Dulles Airport, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your comments about your recent visit. I'm sorry you had to leave too early to take advantage of the breakfast. Our Express Start complimentary deluxe continental breakfast features hot eggs, breakfast meats, a variety of cereals, pastries and fruits, and arguably the best cinnamon roll this world has witnessed. Our staff is also happy to put aside some items for you to take with you if you are leaving before the 6am opening if you let us know the day before. We want to make sure you start the day off on the right foot.

We look forward to your next visit.

Patrick Foley

Been to Holiday Inn Express Reston Herndon-Dulles Airport? Share your experiences!