“They get most things right.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
dallas, tx, usa
“They get most things right.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

My longest ever hotel stay, almost 4 months during Summer and Fall 2013. On a stay that long, you get to know all the good and the bad of a hotel. At the Residence Inn Herndon Reston, it's mostly good.

It's a typical suburban Residence Inn, for those who are familiar with the brand, and the property executes most things well. The rooms are spread across about 20 separate 2 story buildings; each has a single hallway with just 4 rooms on each of the 2 floors; having so few neighbors keeps rooms pretty quiet; I was rarely disturbed by other guests.

Some or all of the 2 BR units are 2nd floor rooms with a 3rd floor upstairs. The studio and 1BR units are single floor. As is common in the Residence Inn brand, the rooms are big. All have full kitchens, including a full size fridge, 4 burner stove with a full size oven, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, and 12 cup coffee pot using basket-style filters. My studio also had a couch (convertible to a sofabed) and easy chair. The queen bed was decent, not bad, though not as luxurious as many slightly more upscale brands offer these days. Bathrooms are split, with the sink in the main room separate from the toilet and tub. There's a ton of storage space, with a 3 door chest, 2 closets, plus lots of extra drawers by the nightstands and the sink.

Everything was clean, and housekeeping did a remarkably consistent job with the daily service, properly cleaning and provisioning. Kudos to them.

The hotel laundry room has 7 washers and 8 dryers. Doing laundry weekly, I never had to wait for a machine.

During my stay, the hotel upgraded their internet. I found the connection reliable and fast. Both wired and wireless are offered, both free.

The hotel had an outdoor pool, but hours were limited, not opening weekdays until noon, and shutting completely right after Labor Day. There's also a small sport area, offering half-court basketball and a miniature tennis court. The hotel does not have a fitness center, but does offer guests free access to a Gold's Gym about 3 miles away. For those looking for workout, a better option might be to bring your bicycle, roller blades, or running shoes; there are two great trails very close to the hotel. Mountain bikers and walkers will enjoy the 3 mile long Sugarland Run trail, right across the street from the hotel, which offers a hilly, secluded, winding trip through the woods (paved, but rough in spots). Road bikers and skaters should try the 44 mile long Washington & Old Dominion Trail. It's a converted rail path, running from near to DC to rural Virginia. Herndon is the halfway point on that trail, which passes about 2 blocks from the hotel.

The hotel offers free breakfast daily (until 9 M-F; 9:30 weekends). Selections include scrambled eggs, potatoes, some sort of meat (usually turkey Canadian bacon or sausage patties), oatmeal, cold cereal, yogurt, bagels, muffins, bread, bananas, cut melon, and a self service waffle machine. The food area often gets overcrowded, with too little space for so many choices, so be patient. The dining area is ample in the summer, given the outside poolside patio tables, but when it's cold or wet, the indoor tables may be full. There's also "dinner" offered Monday thru Thursday. The quality varies greatly. Some nights offered burgers, or roast chicken, or surprisingly ok pizza. More often, I found the food pretty awful, or desserts-only, and I preferred to cook for myself or eat out, even without an expense account.

For dining out, within a half mile of the hotel are many ethnic restaurants (especially Indian), a few bars, and several fast food joints. Carpool, a block away, has 30+ obscure craft beers on tap, and good food. Uptown Pizza , Charcoal Kebab, and O'Sullivans were my other nearby favorites. Reston Town Center is a mile and a half away, and offers a better selection of more upscale dining. To stock your fridge, there's a Safeway a block from the hotel.

In all, the location is good for those working in the Herndon/Reston area. I chose to get a rental car (hotel parking is free and ample), but there's enough walkable that you can get by without one if you have to. I wouldn't recommend this hotel as a base for a visit to the city of DC. DC is a half hour drive if you're lucky, but area traffic can easily make that a much longer drive. For now, the nearest Metro rail stations (Orange Line) are 20 minutes away, though the soon-to-open Silver Line will come a bit closer.

Dulles airport is very close, just a 10 minute drive. Taxi fare runs about $15 plus tip. The hotel recently started offering a free hotel shuttle, but the hours are limited to mornings and evenings, and it seems to work better to return to the airport than to get an airport pickup.

All the staff were polite, efficient and helpful.

In summary, it's not the most luxurious hotel, but sometimes extra space and a full kitchen beat luxury. It's not the cheapest extended stay, but sometimes cleanliness and daily housekeeping beat cheap. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, if my work brings me back to the Herndon area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
rihva, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Herndon Reston, responded to this review, February 4, 2014
Mark,

Thank you so much for taking the time out to write your review. It was extensive and so informative. We have actually gotten guests staying with us because of your review!! They mentioned it on the phone, as they thought you truly gave them an insight of the hotel and area. Thank you once again and hope you will stay with us again. Happy travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

Conveniently situated close to shops and restaurants (Herndon or Reston), the Airport (Dulles), and a 15 minute car ride to Dunn Loring or Falls Church Metro stations (5 mins to Wiehle next year) and 30 minutes to DC (out of the commuter periods).

We had a ground floor suite (open plan with kitchen, lounge and WiFi ) situated in one of many small buildings with access through a secure entrance, close to parking but, unlike a motel, away from the building… all of which contained in a mature tree lined property with grassed areas around the buildings.

Being separated from reception and dining room required a walk in the fresh air, or a drive, to have the complementary full breakfast. Everything felt clean and it was relatively quiet (for an urban setting).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Mountain Lakes, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a week in a two bedroom suite. We had three adults and one teenager and having essentially a two bedroom/two bathroom apartment made the stay very comfortable. While the room rate was higher than some of the nearby hotels, I feel like we received more than that in the extra value provided.

The daily breakfast had good food quality and variety, while the late afternoon snacks were nice as well. The full kitchen and nearby grocery store allowed us to eat many meals in the room. The wireless Internet was included and I even used the washer and dryer in the main building to get a load of laundry done before we headed to another town for the remainder of our trip. We even took advantage of the guest passes for a nearby Gold's Gym.

You are only a short drive from a mall and about 25 miles to Washington D.C. You can drive 10 miles to a park & ride and take the Orange Metro in to NYC. The are tons of historic sites to visit in addition to DC.

When we checked out we had no additional charges other than the room rate. That is why I felt it was such a great value.

• Stayed August 2013
Waynesboro, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We have stayed at Residence inn's before but this was a step up. They have thought of everything and you can tell. It was nice to find things that they had in the room to make it easy for you. Small things like paper towels, dish cloth and wine opener etc. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!! We will return again!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hagerstown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this location for our 3 yr wedding anniversary. Upon arriving the room was very clean and spacious. We decided to go to the pool and whirlpool area....the pool looked very clean until we go into it. The whirlpool was dirty and did not work either. The next night we were going to use the grills by the pool area and I was told by the front desk person that the grills were not working due to a gas line problem. So after all of that we decided to cut our stay short by one day and leave early. I went to the front desk to let them know we were leaving early and the lady at the desk in a rude tone told me I was not getting any money back.....I contacted the company and after several emails I received one from Chris the manager there. He was very apologetic and told me about the problems they were having with the lifeguards and the gas lines for the grills....he did refund one of our nights (the night we did not stay) and gave us 10,000 reward points.....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Merrifield, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights waiting for our corporate apartment to be ready. I was very pleased with our room! It was a big studio apartment and had everything we needed to be comfortable. The grounds were easy to walk around with perfect for our dog. They have a lot of amenities and services to help make your stay pleasant. I would have been fine staying here longer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Me and my wife stayed at this Residence Inn for a week in November 2011. We liked the style of this hotel, it is like a little village with a nice garden and pool area (the pool is closed during winter time). I'll bet it is great to stay there during summer time on a vacation, having a quality time with the kids in the garden.
I would recommend staying on the first floor and for families with children I would recommend a room facing the garden and the pool, at least during summer. There is not an elevator in the two story buildings so you have to carry your bags up the stairs to the second floor if your room is there.
The breakfast was very good, the staff was helpful and the rooms are very good, spacious and nice and clean with full kitchen and a good TV area. There are bigger rooms (apartments) than we stayed in. There is a shopping center across the street with Kmart but that Kmart was just bad, chaotic, not clean (at least when we stayed there). There is a nice big Target store in the area that is just great, we did a lot of our shopping there. Residence Inn at Herndon Reston is a perfect hotel for longer stays and great for families and couples.

Room Tip: First floor facing the pool area is better if you are traveling with children.