“Better than 3 Stars!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Herndon
Reston, Virginia
“Better than 3 Stars!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This property consists of multiple buildings. The one I stayed in was 2-story, so U have to walk upstairs rather than an elevator which could be a drawback if U have lots of luggage. The rooms and bathroom are upgraded with modern finishes. The common area carpets and paint could use some modernization. Very comfortable mattress, TV on a swivel. Set-up like a living room or mini apartment home i.e. sofa, chair, full size stove and kitchen. I booked through a 3rd party provided, but was charged twice. When I notified the hotel they did credit the charge back. All in all I would recommend it over some higher rated properties, especially for the price.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
San Jose, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Full time business traveler: The Residence Inn in Herndon is an apartment style hotel. Individual buildings each with 2 floors, 4 units per floor, access to each unit through a small hallway, and each unit has a sliding glass door for outside air (if you are on the first floor you can walk directly to the outside....a big plus). From the outside the grounds are kept nice and the buildings are kept well. The hallway is ok though a bit dated feel to it. Inside the room it is roomy and, again, it is like a like a small apartment (Bathroom, kitchen, living room). The furnishings are in fairly good shape though a bit dated and some of the fixtures and trim were most definitely wearing. I had an issue with a 'running' toilet that sometime required the time honored 'jiggling' of the handle to get it to stop, however, that can happen at any hotel (I did not call the front desk about it, I didn;t see it as a big deal). Where I had my biggest concern is housekeeping. There just is no way to be nice about it, it was subpar. Maybe that was just my unfortunate luck and otherwise, and for other guests, it was/has been good. For me it was not and it kept it from getting an additional rating point.
I like the layout of the hotel. The apartment feel and openness to it was great for my 4 days and I can see that being a REAL plus for someone needing long term accommodations. However, for me housekeeping is a deal breaker.

Room Tip: Opt for a first floor if you want direct access to the outside through your sliding glass door
Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chanhassen, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

A townhome style Residence Inn with 8 apartments per 2 story building. Rooms seemed more updated than the buildings suggest. Lots of space, with full kitchen. Room is one large space, not with a separate room for couch and tv.
Staff does a very good job. Room was clean with no problems at all.

Green ranking: mixed. They had recycle cans, which is not common. They still replaced the towel when I hung it and then put the hang tag that explained their towel re-use policy right on the towel. Old habits are hard to break I guess.

It was quiet while I was there. They apparently allow dogs, but I heard and saw none.

Free breakfast was standard fare for Marriotts, which is just fine. Hot food, juices, cereals, etc.
They hold a free dinner on week days. Not as good as other Residence Inns in the DC area, and no beer/wine included nor available that I saw.

When staying in the area, I would stay here again. I'd rank it as average against other Residence Inns, but ranking it very good against all hotels everywhere I've stayed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I stay at this hotel anytime I am in the Reston/Herndon area and will be there for more than 2 days. There is some age to the rooms but the large rooms are very well kept and the newly renovated common areas are very nice. Service is excellent!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

I've been to this hotel on many occasions. Location is great. It's close enough (20-30 min depending on traffic) if you're visiting DC, but also close enough to walk to many restaurants and a grocery store. The Reston Town Center is a mile up the road, and has several upscale restaurants and shopping, as well as a great movie theater. There's also a paved trail right outside the hotel if you bring your bike, or are a runner. The hotel is in tip top shape...clean everywhere, and the staff is second to none. Not to mention, great value. In the northern Virginia area, you cannot beat the value of this place, the cleanliness and the service. Don't bother going anywhere else.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the Residence Inn Herndon. Check-in was quick and efficient; the clerk was very nice and gave me a choice of rooms/buidings. The room was very clean and well organized. I appreciated the HD TV and the number of channels as many hotels only have a limited selection of channels and are non-HD. Also, I left behind some jewelry and frantically called in the hopes that housekeeping would have turned it in and they did, thankfully. My one complaint would be that the room smelled of cigarette smoke - it wasn't strong but definitely distinctive. I didn't tell the front desk but I'm sure they would have taken care of it had I alerted them. Had it been stronger I would have said something. I travel to the area quite frequently and this is now my top hotel choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
new orleans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

This Residence Inn is exactly what you would expect: large rooms, clean, well kept common areas and grounds, etc. What makes this property stand out is the quality of the staff. I found all to be courteous, efficient, and eager to make our stay perfect. From the kind security guard, who spent a few minutes with me at midnight while I was unpacking my car talking about Django Reinhardt (but I realized after was also watching my things and allowing me to run back and forth from my car to the room unloading my stuff without having to lock/unlock the car each time) to Mauricio at the desk who responded to my request for a specialized map, which he could have easily blown off but instead made numerous unsolicited attempts to come up with exactly what we needed, and pretty much everyone else in between, the staff was top-notch. Kudos to the staff and management, this is the quality and level of service all hotels should aspire to.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Herndon Reston? Share your experiences!