“Great rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
virginia
“Great rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

We stayed for several days while visiting relatives. Really nice studio suite with a full kitchen. It looks like a fairly new hotel. The only thing I didn't like was that they did not have daily maid service. I guess because it is an extended stay property. You have to take your towels to the desk to be exchanged. Other than that it is a very nice hotel.

• Liked — Quality of room
  • Disliked — Limited service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Philadelphia, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2008

Husband and I stayed at this property Memorial Day Weekend.

We visit Harrisonburg twice a year and have stayed at the Days Inn and the Courtyard by Marriott. I would say this hotel compared to the Courtyard very well (only it does not have a pool and Courtyard does).

Anyway, the hotel was very clean and we enjoyed having a full fridge and stove, though we did not use the stove. I am pretty picky about hotels (this is why we do not stay at the Days Inn anymore), and this passed the test. I only rate it as neutral/average because it was not above average, but just right. I was very satisfied.

The manager said they usually drop their rates on weekends because they cater to a weekday traveler. This is good to know for future stays.

We would definitely stay here again - as long as the rates are right!

• Liked — It was new, so it was still clean.
  • Disliked — No pool.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

Stayed for one night for a trip to the Luray Caverns. The hotel itself was quite neat and well furnished. For a 2 star hotel, I think it was quite worth the $65 price on priceline. If you are coming from DC, then it will take you further away from Luray caverns or skyline drive by 15 miles. Check in was swift but check out was a little slow as the clerk was doing something inside for almost 5 min while we were waiting at the front desk! Free complimentary stuff was a good gesture. They have fully equipped kitchen and supplies although we did not use anything. Fre internet available in the business center. Overall pleasant stay.

• Liked — Ameneties
  • Disliked — Some staff members but nothing that was too bad
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Traveller629
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2008

Prior to my arrival, hotel management allowed someone other than me or an employee of the hotel to change my reservation from a single person room to a double, that would also be occupied by this new guest, WITHOUT consulting me before making the change, or notifying me afterwards. They had no way of knowing if this party was who they said they were, and didn't think it was important to notify their customer of any change in reservation whatsoever, effectively allowing someone into a guest's room without the guest's knowledge or direct consent. When confronted with this issue, management was unapologetic at best. This was a serious breach of professional etiquette and a potential safety risk, as this party could literally have been anyone.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2008

We really enjoyed staying at the Candlewood. It is a new hotel right down the road from all the amenities in Harrisonburg. The staff was friendly, the room was clean, the bathroom was nice...the kitchenette was also nice even though we didn't use it. The tv's screen was pretty large which was a pleasant surprise! There is also a dvd/vhs player and movies to borrow from the reception desk. We also enjoyed taking advantage of their free soda coupons that they give you upon check-in. The only unpleasant thing about the hotel is that the elevator and part of the hallway reeked of smoke. Luckily our room smelled fine, but it wasn't very fun having to hold our breath all the way down the hall and in the elevator. I'm guessing half the hall was smoking and the other half was not - perhaps it would be better to have a smoking floor?

All in all, I do recommend this hotel. I felt comfortable in the area and enjoyed its convenience to shopping and the JMU campus.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
OHIO
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

The Candlewood Suite location in Harrisonburg is a new facility. The Hotel is clean and the staff is very friendly. However, I did not like the atmosphere. I did not feel safe at this hotel. There were groups of four or more people running around the property, their manners were lacking as well as their communication skills. When leaving the room that houses the computer for internet service, I was bombarded by 4 people that apparently couldn't speak the same language as I do, as they were holding their hands up for me to hold the door open for them. This room was only available to people that had key cards for the rooms. I thought I was going to be trampled. I would think twice before staying here again for these reasons.

• Stayed October 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2007

We were traveling from Philadelphia to Atlanta and stopped over in Harrisonburg. This was a great place to stop over. We used the room for sleeping and showering only. The room was quite large, plenty of room for my son's pack-and-play. We didn't use anything in the kitchen except for the coffee maker, but they had to go coffee cups with lids. That was a nice touch. The staff was extremely friendly. I liked that there was a lobby and that our door was in a hallway. Many extended stay hotels have door access outside. This felt much safer. The hotel was new and everything in our room was in great condition. We travel with a noise maker, but it did seem that the walls were thin. Other than that I would stay here again. My family was pleasantly surprised.

Stayed August 2007

Been to Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg? Share your experiences!