“Home away from home” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Rose Hill, Kansas
“Home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

My stay at the Candlewood Suites in Harrisonburg has been for work. The staff has been super friendly and polite. They are pet-friendly and that makes my stay easier.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
OHIO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

A very friendly staff and extremely clean motel. The people working at the front desk always greeted us with a smile and hello and were very accommodating. I wish all hotels had staff that treated their guests in this manner.

The beds are very comfortable.

We had stayed at this property several years ago when it first opened. At that time there were people hanging around the hotel who didn't have manners. They seemed almost threatening. I'm happy to say the atmosphere has changed.

I would highly recommend staying at the Candlewood Suites in Harrisonburg, VA

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

We stopped the night at the Candlewood Suites in Harrisonburg on the drive up to Northern Maryland. It was late when we arrived, after midnight. We were greeted with a smile by the girl at the front desk, and were quickly checked in and on our way to our room. The room was very well appointed, especially for the very inexpensive price tag. The room was clean with a comfortable bed--we passed out immediately. Right before we fell asleep, a very noisy train passed by, but otherwise it was quiet and we had no trouble sleeping in til 9am. Both my boyfriend and I commented that this would be an ideal spot for an extended stay with the kitchen, but it was also perfect for a one night stay. Also, there are plenty of dining options very close by, so we were able to grab a good breakfast before continuing on our drive.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Collingswood, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

We stayed here for a night of rest during a long drive back home. We would have been better off not stopping and driving straight through the night. Walls are very thin. It was extremely noisy until about 1 am. Sofabed so uncomfortable, the kids slept on the sofa and chair instead. No air conditioning in the bedroom of our suite...it was filtered in through a fan connected in the wall through the living room. The fan rattled and kept me up. The kids in the living room were freezing while the bedroom stayed hot because we had no air! 4 people stayed in the suite and it wasn't set up to accommodate 4. not enough towels, pillows, blankets. One towel wasn't clean. Also, coffee pot was dirty, as well as tea pot! Both were used and never cleaned. The rooms aren't checked thoroughly enough, as we found someone elses socks in the drawers in the bedroom. Room needed updating. Chair looked like it had been picked at by a cat and was uncomfortable to sit in. Queen-sized bed advertised in not actually queen-sized. It's a double bed. Hotel also close to train that does pass through town throughout the night and blows a loud whistle. When I finally dozed off I was woken up by it.

After reading the reviews on trip advisor, I chose this hotel to stay at. I was very dissappointed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Cary, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I recently stayed at the Candlewood Suites for the second time in what is becoming an annual trip to the Shenandoah Valley and National Park area. This is a very good place to stay, but I do have a few suggestions.

I booked two rooms for this family trip--one on Hotwire because the individuals in this room are pretty flexible and the other directly through the hotel to ensure a non-smoking room with two beds. After making the reservations, I contacted the manager via email to make a couple requests. The response was nearly immediate, and we got what we wanted, even for the Hotwire room. Thanks for the quick and helpful response! Thanks also for good and friendly service throughout our stay.

The Candlewood Suites is located near the intersection of I-81 and US Highway 33 but is tucked away behind a Lowes store, so there is no traffic noise. There are several restaurants and grocery stores nearby, and the bagle shop in the strip mall across Highway 33 is a great place to pick-up a good, inexpensive breakfast. The hotel is near quaint downtown Harrisonburg, James Madison University, and the road that takes you on a pretty drive to the Shenandoah National Park.

The hotel rooms are decorated in relaxing fall colors of muted gold and rust and pack a lot into a standard-sized room, including an efficiency kitchen with the necessary cooking supplies, a leather lounge chair, a desk/table for eating and working, a large closet, and a large bathroom with shampoo and soap (but no lotion). There is also a flat-screen TV, which I think is an upgrade from our previous visit. Our rooms were perfectly cleaned; I even noticed housekeepers pulling duvet covers off the beds for washing. Beyond the rooms, there is a fitness center, a free laundry room, and a cupboard, where you can purchase snacks, drinks, and light meals for preparation in the room. They even provided a coupon for a free soda in the cupboard.

I do have a few suggestions to improve the hotel. First, the carpet in the first floor hallway is pulling up from use and wrinkling in the middle. While it looks clean and does not need to be replaced, it need to be re-stretched. One older member of our party has mobility issues, and I worried that he would stumble and trip on the carpet. This is a safety issue that needs to be resolved. Second, while the rooms smelled pretty fresh, there is a smell of cigarette smoke in the lobby and first floor hall. I'm not sure if the smell comes from smoking rooms or wafts in through the front door, but there is no way to avoid these areas of the hotel. For folks with strong allergies, this could be a major drawback. Third--and just a very minor request--it would be nice to have a luggage rack in the room. While we were able to improvise by overturning the laundry basket in the closet, it would be nice to have a more stable place to put a suit case.

All in all, the Candlewood Suites is a comfortable, convenient, and affordable place to stay, and I will likely return. I would be especially impressed if they can improve the ventilation in the lobby and hallway and can fix the issue with the carpet to ensure guest safety.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Gilbert, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I was disappointed in the lack of cleanliness of the rooms. Almost worn out from high usage. Smoking rooms intermingled with non on same floor made for an unpleasant odor in the hallways. I do like the concept of this hotel.
Pets in rooms is not to my liking either.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Gilbert, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

the room was nice and comfortable, but after making our reservation several weeks in advance, they tried to give us a handicapped room, we asked for another. The worst part of this place is several of the floors are partially smoking floors, this would not be so bad, but the smell filters through the ventaliation and you can smell it everywhere. Because of this I would never, never, never recommend this place. If they made it non-smoking I might, but not the way it is now. It was also very noisey, people waking early in the upper floors and partying outside making noise, there were also kids running up and down the halls yelling and stomping their feet. Not a great place.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Candlewood Suites Harrisonburg? Share your experiences!