“Not the place to stay” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Farragut, Tennessee
“Not the place to stay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

I've always had great experiences with Country Inns in the past. I love their breakfast and I've found the rooms are generally clean. However, this hotel is not up to par, not even close. First, my check in experience was botched. They checked someone else in under my name, then they sent me to the wrong room. When I came back to the desk to correct it, I had to wait several minutes for them to correct their mistake.

Second, the walls are the thinnest I've ever experienced in any hotel. It sounded like a waterfall every time someone in the room next to us or above us flushed the toilet. Not a quiet sound, more like a raging loud waterfall. Also, there was horrible noise from the room above us around 3AM that lasted for 30 minuetes, and dogs barking around 6AM. Worst night of sleep I've ever had. I wouldn't stay here again for free.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here, choose a top floor room because the 2nd floor gets noise from every side.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Country Inn & Suites Harrisonburg, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
On behalf of all of us here at the Country Inn and Suites, we apologize for the quality of your stay. If you wish to discuss this issue further with a member of our management staff, please contact us 540-433-2400. Have a great day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Winston Salem, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

ROOM: The room was above average in size and clean. I stayed in room 305 which was a King room. The décor was understated and uninspiring. The room had its own, window mounted A/C unit which worked fine, a 25” traditional tube TV and refrigerator/microwave combo were provided.

The tile bathroom was average sized and clean. The vanity was good size and had solid surface counter tops.

BEDDING: The bed was clean and comfortable with excellent feather pillows. A comforter is provided which was somewhat heavy. Not as light and fluffy as a Hilton property duvet, but nice.

WORK AREA: The work area was good with a decent size table and a mediocre chair which was too low for effective laptop work. There were several outlets to power electronics. Lighting was only fair however, making it necessary to open the curtains for added ambient light.

Breakfast: They had an above average breakfast. Fresh waffle maker, eggs and breakfast potatoes rounded out the hot choices and there is cereal, breads, fruit, yogurt and juices.

POOL: They have a modest size indoor pool which was warm and clean, along with a hot tub. The hand rail going into the pool was pulled out of the floor.

RATING: Overall I would give the property a 85/100 and 82/100 for value. I would likely stay here again, but when the pricing get’s in the $100+ for one night I tend to be more selective.

PRAISE: nice beds/pillows, clean, good breakfast
COMPLAINTS: work chair subpar, bland, stairwell carpeting filthy

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

We were very well pleased with our stay here. Great customer service, very clean & spacious room. Large bathroom. We had a queen suite & had plenty of room. The breakfast staff were great also. Thanks for helping us have a great stay on the start of our family vacation.

• Stayed May 2012
nc
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed here as a stopover on our way to Pennsylvania. We had planned to stay at another hotel which had better reviews on Tripadvisor but they were booked when we arrived at midnight. This hotels were right next door to each other and both were very close to I-81. We were disappointed. After check in, we went out to the car to get our bags and the clerk was in the parking lot smoking. The hotel was dingy. There was a cleaner/perfume smell that permeated the room when we arrived. The bed was uncomfortable. The air conditioner way too loud. We woke up earlier than expected just to get out of there and did not bother to eat breakfast. In addition, the cost of the room was over one hundred dollars and certainly not nearly worth that much. The only upside was that the ceilings were high and the room felt rather spacious and I did feel safe.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Granted, we were staying Graduation weekend and they require you to stay two nights which is ridiculous and especially at a jacked up price of $250 a night. But, still I cringe every time I think of what we paid. Thank goodness it was a fun weekend, so it made up for it.
Let me start by saying the front desk staff was very nice. I had to contact them several times before we checked in and they were always friendly. During our stay they were very nice too.
However, the breakfast staff was not. The food was emptied out and they seemed very put off whenever anyone asked them for anything. The food was good, but not very plentiful.
The room was clean, but the hallway reeked of Pine Sol and was giving us headaches. So we ran to our rooms to avoid the hallway.
We had a suite that slept six, but to be honest with you, space was very limited once we were all in there.
Yes, the walls are thin. We could everything going on in the room next door. Their, TV, their shower, etc.
The pool was clean and my kids enjoyed it.
It is kind of off the beaten path which was nice considering it was graduation weekend and it was congested around the campus. But keep this in mind of staying here. It is in a more industrial setting of Harrisonburg.
It's an OK hotel, but just be careful of what you pay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Smithtown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, great location. Pool open until 12am which made our hound kids very happy. Clean, friendly and a great free hot breakfast in the morning. We will be staying again!

• Stayed April 2012
Arlington, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012

My daughter goes to JMU and I have stayed in several of the hotels in town. I stayed here because it was one of the last hotels I could find besides the absolute bargain basement type hotels. This hotel has so much potential. It is clean, the staff is efficient and it is really a lovely hotel. The drawbacks. Just like the reviews said it is noisy and the location has something to be desired. I kept hearing the strangest noises at all times of the day and night and finally realized it was the trucks next door at a huge busy truck stop. Other drawbacks. The breakfast is minimal although the coffee was good and since I don't eat breakfast that is all I cared about. Also, when I used the business center to print out something, the ink was out. And in our room, two of the lamps in the room weren't working. One of them had lightbulbs missing and the other was unplugged. The manager maybe should pay more attention to detail. Overall I would recommend for anyone who doesn't mind a noisy hotel.

Room Tip: As far away from the truck stop and other guests as possible.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Country Inn & Suites Harrisonburg? Share your experiences!