“Excellent food for the price and atmosphere” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 198 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: We hope your experience will be memorable. Please sit back, relax and allow us to serve you a sampling of innovative, authentic Italian cuisine.
Sonora, California
“Excellent food for the price and atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

Took my 90 odd yr old mother - this is one of her favorite places. The atmosphere is good, service was excellent, menu was new from the last time. I had a grilled panini with house made potato chips - both very good. My mother had a HUGE bowl of soup that we shared - excellent roasted tomato soup. She had a salad that I would call OK - lettuce was in too large of pieces for her, but she was happy. The only worry is that we were two of four people there for lunch on a Monday - it deserves better.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Napa valley
“Friendly staff and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Our server was very attentive and friendly - one of the best servers I have ever encountered (sadly I do not remember his name). The chef also came to our table to make sure that everything tasted good. One of my favorite item there was the homemade bread - delicious. The desserts (chocolate cakes) were perfect ending to our meals. The ambience with the murals of Italy was special.

I only gave it a 4 star instead of 5 because of my salad (they forgot to put dressing on my salad nor provide one on a side) and they did not have the traditional tiramisu (which is a must have for me when I dine at an Italian restaurant).

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Trenton, NJ
“Better than Olive Garden, I guess”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We spent the night in Harrisonburg recently while on a road trip. Arriving around dinner time on Sunday, we followed the hotel desk clerk's recommendation and tried L'italia.
It's a nicely appointed place and we were greeted warmly and promptly seated in the less than half-filled restaurant.
Gregory came by quickly, introduced himself as our server and advised that the restaurant would be "filling up soon" so he would get us our food as quickly as possible once ordered. We found this odd since we gave no indication that we were in a hurry and, in fact, were looking to have a relaxing, enjoyable meal before returning to the hotel for the night. This "hurry up" theme carried on through the entire meal. And the restaurant never did fill up.
We were never asked if we would like a pre-dinner cocktail while perusing the menu. Only after we had ordered and Gregory started to suggest wine for dinner, did we get the chance to ask for a drink.
We were quite specific, Maker's Mark Manhattans, up, for each of us. The overly enthusiastic and effusive Gregory assured us that was "the only way to have them" and that the bartender specialized in this drink. Unfortunately, when the drinks did arrive...they were on the rocks. (We opted to not even mention the mistake to Mr. Gregory).
Just prior to our cocktails arriving, we were served our dinner salads. Nothing special here, just a mix as you would find from Dole or FreshPak or some other supermarket bagged salad. The dressing came on the side, in little lidded, plastic cups as if we had ordered them "to go." Setting our salads aside for the moment, we tried to finish our drinks without rushing but before our entrees showed up.
We had both chosen very basic, simple dishes: cheese ravioli for my wife, rigatoni with sausage for me. They were average; not horrible, but nothing to crow about. The pasta was cooked just past the al dente stage, but not mushy. The sauce was bright and fresh tasting. Neither dish was piping hot...perhaps because our order was held as we tried to finish our cocktails and then our salads.
Choosing our wines to accompany dinner provided yet another opportunity for Gregory to breathlessly assure us of our good taste.
This may be Harrisonburg's oldest restaurant and it may be the best Italian restaurant the city has to offer. It unfortunately did not live up to the recommendation of the hotel clerk or the pretense and posturing of our server.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh
“A must visit Italian restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We really enjoyed our visit. L'Italia had an extensive menu. The waitress was very friendly. She answered all our questions and helped us decide which meals to order. Our food was excellent! I highly recommend checking them out if you are in the mood for good Italian food while on vacation.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chatham
“A great experience.....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I had a delightful meal at L'Italia this evening. Our server Liz was very attentive and friendly. Their little homemade bread loaves were delicious. She even gave us some to take with us. The salads were a great mixture of greens and tasty dressings. My husband's entree, chicken parnigana, was great; my entree, the mai mai was delicious, as were the grilled vegetables. Our desserts were a perfect ending to the meal. The ambience, with the background of music and murals of Italy was special. I wish we lived closer so we could return soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere