“Decent place to bring my dog. Many pillows.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sleep Inn & Suites Harrisonburg

You added Sleep Inn & Suites Harrisonburg to your Saves list
Sleep Inn & Suites Harrisonburg
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1891 Evelyn Byrd Avenue, I-81 & US 33, Harrisonburg, VA 22801   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
North Carolina
“Decent place to bring my dog. Many pillows.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

What I liked about Sleep Inn:
Clean. The room and bathroom were clean. You get soaps, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion. My king bed had like 8 pillows on it- enough to build a fort. If you can't build a fort out of your pillows, it's not a king room.
Layout. You know how you step into some hotel rooms and you're standing in the bathroom? This room felt like it had an entry way, and it opens into a spacious room. The fridge and microwave are in their own little alcove facing away so they cannot glare and growl at you all night with their evil lights.
The TV is a flatscreen.

What I didn't like:
Well, this might be because it was 110 degrees or something outside, but the room felt moist and mucky, all night long. I think the AC wasn't evaporating correctly or something. I just made that last bit up- I'm not an HVAC pro. But it was muggy and moist and I didn't like that too much.

Check-out was quick and they charged like $15 for the pet- very reasonable, although she leaves much less of a mess than my ex girlfriend, and hotels never charged extra for her.

I passed through Harrisonburg twice with my dog, so I stayed one night at the Sleep Inn and one night at the Jameson Inn. (you can see my review of that one too if you look for it)... I will choose the Sleep Inn over the Jameson- both are pet friendly, but the Sleep Inn simply has more spacious, clean rooms with a better layout. I will return!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Raphine, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel several times previously with good results, but things have gone downhill. We stayed two nights due to the regional power outage. When I was unable to get online from home as we had no power, I asked the front desk clerk, Debbie, for my usual alumni discount rate. She only offered a corporate/AARP rate (I would have to get a lower rate by calling the 1-800 number) - less than accommodating under the circumstances
However when I arrived, the gentleman at the front desk corrected that and gave me the rate to which we were entitled.
We were given a nice "non-smoking" room on the second floor - well appointed with king size bed, large desk, fridge, microwave - reasons we had liked this hotel. However, the "non-smoking" room has a smoke smell coming in from the vents. The next day, Julie was kind enough to move us to room 305. The new room had no smoke smell, but the evening of the second and final night, I found several small black bugs crawling on the sink counter in the bathroom. I reported both of these problems to the General Manager, Dennis Edwards, so it is my hope he will correct these things going forward. Unfortunately, at this point, I can no longer recommend the hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Germantown,MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We stayed here this weekend. Very close to the waterpark. Check-in and Check-out was a breeze. Breakfast was decent. They had hot waffles too. Lot of restaurants nearby. It was value for money.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Chattanooga, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We just stayed at this hotel. They were accommodating and we choose a handicap room on the first floor because the other rooms were on the second floor. We were told they were non-smoking rooms but there was smoking rooms on the second floor. The room we stayed in reeked of smoke. My husband thought it smelled more like a "fire smoke" but whatever it was it stunk. It's a nice place, convenient location, reasonable rates, but they need to air the place out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Oxford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Not the best, not the worst. The room was clean and quiet, but the bathroom door would not latch shut. Stuff that was on the floor in the AM was still there in the PM so they probably did not vacuum. They didn't have a bath mat on the tub to step on upon exiting so used a bath towel, and the towels were not that big to begin with. The "expanded hot continental breakfast" is really just a waffle machine plus other cereal and donut type offerings. Since we don't like starting the day on a stomach full of carbs, we went out to eat to get a little protein. The hotel allows pets. We heard some barking while in the corridors, but not while in the room. The hotel price was OK.

Room Tip: Our room #116 was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Broadway, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Fairly standard stay.

Check in took a long time because of something with the credit card processing. Eventually got whatever the problem was fixed. The room was clean and comfortable. The beds, pillows, and linens were fairly standard. The TV is a nice little flat screen deal. The bathroom was clean and complete with amenities (shampoo, conditioner, soap, and lotions).

Like most Sleep Inns there is a fitness room, guest laundry, etc. Breakfast was Ok... seem to be missing a few things. There is a waffle iron. The pastries are a bit of a mess in one single turnstyle. There were some small boiled eggs. We had sausage patties, but I wager they alternate with those little egg patties as well.

The staff was curteous and the property was well maintained. We got a pretty good rate with our AAA card.

The property is surrounded by restaurants. I recommend Vito's down the way (great Italian food.. pizza).

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Manassas, Va.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

The wife and I stayed here last night. The rate was ok but the cigarette smoke ruined it for us. Although we got the NS room we requested we were told when we arrived that our room was on the 4th floor and was NS there were smoking rooms on this floor. There were a LOT of smoking rooms on this floor. We could smell it as soon as we got off the elevator. Although our room didn't reek of smoke it could still be smelled as it was wafting in under the door from the hall. I got up at 530 and entered the hallway to go downstairs and the place reeked of smoke. Also, when I called in to make the reservation the lady wouldn't take my Choice number but told me to give it to the front desk when we arrived. I told the guy at the front desk when we just checked in and he even said she was just being lazy.
Sorry Sleep Inn. My first and last time there.
The poor service listed below was for the lady who answered the phone and wouldn't take the Choice number. The guy at the desk when we got there was nice and efficient.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple