“Good food and local craft beer” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“Good food and local craft beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Went on a snowy early March Tuesday lunchtime, so it wasn't rocking, but staff, food and local Three Brothers IPA all very good.

Visited March 2014

Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Awful. Hope they pull it together.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

My wife and I recently visited ale house for dinner. We sat upstairs outside, which was a great atmosphere. However, service was horrible...couldn't get refills and took forever to get our food. When we finally got our food, the shrimp had zero flavor, the black and blue burger was very bland with a raw tomato, old lettuce, and old onions. The ketchup didn't even taste like ketchup. Awful expierenxe. Maybe too many college kids work in there.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Harrisonburg, Virginia
“Capital Ale House used to be locally owned”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

There was a time that Capital Ale House in Harrisonburg operated under another name, and was locally owned and operated. The owners brewed vats of their own beer on the premises, and the food was pretty good. Unfortunately, that has all changed. Several years ago the owners sold the business, and Callahan's became part of a chain along with the name change. We attended a reception there, during which some of us ordered a meal. Capital Ale boasts a beer menu of over 100 different beers. OK, so they have lots of beer choices. I ordered an Irish Coffee, which came with green crem de minth (yuck!) I sent it back. The replacement arrived just coffee with irish wiskey in it....this is a bar, folks. The barkeeper doesn't know how to make an Irish Coffee? The food was only OK, and very expensive. It was a Sunday evening and the place was almost empty. We have not returned, and will not be returning for the food.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pittstown, New Jersey
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was a bit nervious after reading the latest reviews as I hadplanned a 50th birthday party at capital ale house. I am from out of town so most of the arrangements had to be made over the phone.
When I arrived on the Sunday afternoon and requested that I have some time to decorate before the 5pm party time the manager was very accomodating. She allowed us to start at 330pm. One of the servers even offered his assistance. The area that was given to use was on the 2nd floor along the wall. It was perfect for 20 people. We were given 2 servers who did a phenominal job with the party. All the people ordered from the menu. They were effecient and organized. (They even told me later they were new to this establishment!!) The food came out hot and the meat was done as ordered. (a concern from another reviewer).
The beers are fantastic and appetizors such as the beer cheese, pretzel dip were awesome starters. I particularly enjoyed the beet salad with chicken.
I was given whertever I asked for such as a seperate table for the cake, a cake knife etc.

Thanks Capital Ale House for making my husbands 50th birthday such a success.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Staunton, Virginia
“Don't waste your money and time at this establishment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Beer and dinner. There were few people in restaraunt due to a week night. Service was poor despite few customers. 4 dinners ordered. One dinner included "raw" meat, completely uncooked. Luckily there was no illness today. Sent back. Manager comped one beer and the dinner however only the server apologized. Our expectations were not met at all.
I would never recommend this place to anyone despite the extensive beer list.

• Visited November 2013