“Comfortable but Noisy” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn of Harrisonburg

You added Quality Inn of Harrisonburg to your Saves list
Quality Inn of Harrisonburg
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1881 Evelyn Byrd Avenue., Harrisonburg, VA 22801 (Formerly Jameson Inn of Harrisonburg)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Normal, Illinois
“Comfortable but Noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

Just came back from a two night stay and have a very mixed review. For a budget hotel, it is relatively nice, but the huge drawback is the thin walls and bad seals on the doors, making it an exceedingly noisy hotel. I could hear the family next door brushing their teeth! My room did have a connecting door to the next, but still, with the both doors shut and locked, this should not have been a problem. The other unpleasantness was the older woman who works at the front desk (I think she is actually the manager), she is rude. I walked up to ask a question and she just stood there staring at me, no greeting, no "Can I help you?" and then was generally surly. The guy working when I checked in was delightful, however.

That being said, the biggest and most pleasant surprise for me was the recliner in the room. I travel quite a bit for work, and have never seen such a comfortable chair in a room, and it really was nice (though ugly as sin).

I had no problems with cleanliness as some of the other reviewers did, and the WiFi worked great. Breakfast is your basic white carb fiesta most budget hotels have (though the waffles are a nice addition). Coffee is good (not always the case in a budget hotel!).

So, in summary, not bad, recommended if you don't mind or can easily sleep through noise, and find a good rate, but there are probably better options in the Harrisonburg area.

• Liked — Recliner and free WiFi
  • Disliked — Noise
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
north carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

We have been looking for a place to stay regularly because our daughter will be attending college up there. So, we chose the Jameson Inn, Needless to say, for $100 we were very disappointed. The bathroom door would not close, not even pull together, there was black mold growing on the floor near the bathrub, the phone didn't work and the door to the room was not shimmied correctly so that the bright hall light poured in all night, all around the door. We were very disappointed and will not be choosing the Jameson to call our home away from home. When we told the girl at the desk, she said a shy "sorry" Sometimes a bit of compensation would help make things a bit better...even a voucher of some sort. Too bad....

• Stayed August 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
PA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2008

My 18 and 14 year old children and I visited JMU for an all day orientation. We arrived in the middle of the afternoon. Soon after checking into our room we discovered the bathroom toilet was clogged after my son used it. I reported this to a young man at the front desk and he promptly got ME a plunger to unclog it!!!!!! My daughter a soon to be freshman at JMU and a sexton at our church took on the task. The young man at the desk said he was the only one there and couldn't leave the desk. I reported it the next day at checkout time and was given the same response. I don't unclog my own toilet at home I didn't expect to do it at a hotel either. Won't stay there again and will report to AAA who I booked room through.
Lepj55@comcast.net

• Disliked — No one to asst with a problem. Did't even offer a new room after reporting a problem.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
dublin, va
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2008

Room was nice but I left an ortho pillow in room when I left. I called back the same day I checked out and the guy at the front desk told me that they had it, he even described the pillowcase to me. When I called back to see if they would ship it back to me at my expense I was told by a RUDE manager that it wasn't there. I explained that the front desk guy ( and told her his name) had told me that it was and had described it to me, she said he had no right to tell me and they did not have it. So in my opinion it was there and it disappeared. These pillows are not cheap! Not only am I unhappy about losing my pillow but the Manager was very rude and condescending. I will NEVER stay there again and would not recommend it.

Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Fort Wayne, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

We stayed here on October16 and 17. We did not have issues with the youg man who checked us in. He was friendly, though new, and very helpful to give us the room we preferred. Our room was clean, no spots on sheets, or stuff on walls, and smelled fine. It was also a fairly large room, with nice decor. The pillows were a bit "wimpy", but we rested comfortably here. The young man at the desk was fairly helpful about where to eat etc. The breakfast here is very limited for anyone needing low carbs or lowfat choices, but typical for this price hotel. Our only complaint was at check out. There was an older woman at the desk when we checked out, and when I saw the total I balked at it a bit, because I thought there must be a HUGE tax on the room. I had booked the room on the Jameson website. I went to my car and got my confirmation of the rate and took it back in to her. She went on about how SHE, since she works behind the counter WOULD NEVER book a room online. I told her that this was the first time I've had any issues with an online reservation in at least 8 years of booking all our trips online. She did credit my credit card for the $30 per night diffierence between the original charge and the price I booked it, but she was not happy to do that. It seems a shame that the hotel manager does not seem to realize that without happy customers, there is no reason to keep the place open.

• Liked — Room, and comfortable bed.
  • Disliked — Lack of view.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Virginia Beach, VA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2007

Looks nice enough on the outside but what condemns this place is an incompetent and uncaring front-deck staff. I knew there seemed to be low motivation when I checked in, about 3: 30 PM, perhaps change of shift. The single person at the desk was trying to help someone make a phone reservation, a process that extended to 5 minutes. Two other staff did not make eye contact with me and went in the back office. I heard laughter and someone commenting they needed a drink. The real problem was the next afternoon. I was in my room when I heard the door open & 2 strangers walked into my room with their luggage. They apologized & left. Fortunately, I was awake, clothed, and present to watch my valuables. I received no apology call. I called down to complain about the violation of my privacy & the potential threat to my safety & property but received a mulish & grudging “well I made a mistake”. Not the last one, as our door cards were de-activated, necessitating a trip to get another. I was sufficiently irate, the manager did agree to deduct my 2nd night, which was done at checkout, again with no apology from her whatever. Had I received a sincere apology, not a discount I had to extract, I would not have voiced this complaint. Bad training, poor morale, poor customer skills. Am passing this one on to the Jameson management.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — departure
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
baltimore md
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2006

we just stayed tthe jameson inn in Harrisonburg, Virginia for two nights oct 17 and 18. we chose this hotel property based on the excellent reviews listed at this website. I could not believe this was the same property. Our room was so filthy we had to ask to change rooms due to soiled,crusted bedlinens. we were told there was no housekeeper who could addresss the issue. Once we changed rooms the next room was even worse. the linens were again soiled, spots on sheets, bedspreads, unknown substances splashed against the wall, and foul odor in the room. it was really unsanitary. I was shocked at our experience after reading the recomendations listed at trip advisor, i really wonder what peop0le regard as clean, comfortable and spotless. I plan on contacting their main office as well as my credit card company for a refund.

Stayed September 2006

Been to Quality Inn of Harrisonburg? Share your experiences!