“They try hard to provide a clean hotel and good deal.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn of Harrisonburg

You added Quality Inn of Harrisonburg to your Saves list
Quality Inn of Harrisonburg
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1881 Evelyn Byrd Avenue., Harrisonburg, VA 22801 (Formerly Jameson Inn of Harrisonburg)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
North Carolina
“They try hard to provide a clean hotel and good deal.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2012

One of the hotels of Harrisonburg that is pet friendly is the Jameson Inn. This is important to me, and my dog, who likes to travel with me. I have stayed at a few Jameson Inns in the past and they tend to be welcoming of pets. Jameson Inn hotel rooms tend to be smaller than most, perhaps by putting the bathroom on both sides of the entry to the room, meaning when you step in the door, the bathroom sink is on your left and the toilet and shower are enclosed in a little room on the right.

This hotel offers free continental breakfast and I think they have a waffle maker. I decided not to go with that because there are a lot of restaurants around the area and it's nice to get out and have a nice sit-down full breakfast.

The hotel room was very clean. I do want to mention that there was a bit of dirt build-up in crevices, like on the bathroom door- this building is deteriorating, with a large crack on the bathroom floor across all the tiles, with a seemingly corresponding crack on the wall outside the bathroom door. However, I found the toilet, bathtub, sinks, sheets, and flat surfaces to be very clean. The carpet was another story. It was a little scummy, worn, dirty, and bunched up by the door. One of the things that I don't like about pet friendly hotels is when you have a pet, they seem to put you in rooms that are of a lower caliber. I suppose pet friendly hotels get a lot of pets that make messes and such. Mine doesn't make any mess at all, but we still pay extra fees and get put in rooms like this.

Anyway, overall, the price was really good. I only stay at "sure thing" hotels as far as cleanliness and safety, and I still consider this hotel to be a sure thing. I will stay here in the future. The staff are nice and you can tell housekeeping tries hard to keep up with the building.

I do think it would be worth it to replace or fix the carpet when it gets that ratty and bunched up though, by the door. If I am put in that room again, I'll probably leave.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
jiharrisonburg, General Manager at Quality Inn of Harrisonburg, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Andogg,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to go online and post a review. I am glad to hear that we were able to accommodate you and your pet during your stay in Harrisonburg. I am also pleased to hear that you had a pleasant stay. Thank you for your kind words about the staff. It is our goal to make sure each and every guest has pleasant stay when they come to the Jameson Inn, Harrisonburg, VA. I am sorry to hear and I do apologize for the condition of the carpet and bathroom door. I will be getting with the maintenance and housekeeping staff to make sure that those issues are taken care of. Thanks again for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Isaiah Brown

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

Booked through Hotwire at a great price and were somewhat pleasantly surprised that the hotel was as comfortable and clean as it was. Close to shopping and restaurants, and easy to get to from the interstate, we had a comfortable night's stay as a stop-over. The front desk clerk was helpful with dinner suggestions (thanks, Ivan!) and our room was basic but clean. Breakfast (free) left a bit to be desired, although the waffles were good. For the price, I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Quality Inn of Harrisonburg, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear Conchritter33050,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us a nice review online. It makes me happy to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us at the Jameson Inn, Harrisonburg. I am glad that you were pleased with the suggestion that Ivan gave you for dinner. Here at the Jameson Inn it brings us great joy when we can help make a guests stay an enjoyable one. We look forward to seeing you again in the future when you are back in the Harrisonburg area.

Harrisonburg, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I spent one night at this hotel, purchased through Hotwire, as I had training for work the next day. The staff were all very courteous and helpful (kudos to AGM Christine, who accommodated my inquiry as to the possibility of checking in obnoxiously early to preserve my laptop's innards with an upgraded, premium non-smoking room -- this, even as she was juggling the clean up for the continental breakfast!).

The rooms are cozy -- I was in a two-double-bed room, and I could see how a group of four might find themselves a bit close for comfort -- and I do agree with previous reviewers that the finishes are showing a bit of wear and tear (torn wallpaper around the toilet paper holder, worn finishes on the corner desk). I was at the end of the hallway and only heard noise above or around me one or two times, none of which disturbed my peace.

However, this hotel is great if you need a clean, comfortable place to rest your head. You have everything you need in the room -- furniture is well placed and does double duty (the cheval mirror disguises a fold-down ironing board; the entertainment center includes drawers and a chiffarobe for hanging clothes). The pool was a refreshing stop at the end of the day, and the free wi-fi a welcome plus. There are a plethora of restaurants within walking/short driving distance -- everything from Chipotle and Bob Evans to Outback and Texas Roadhouse.

I left before I could really take advantage of the continental breakfast, so I can't comment on that. And If you're travelling with pets, best to ask for a king-bed room for more floor space if you bring in a travel kennel. This is a pet-friendly hotel with good grassy areas for walkies.

All in all, I got a great deal for the Hotwire price. Would I pay 'rack rate'? Still on the fence about that. But I'd definitely consider this property again, as should you.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Quality Inn of Harrisonburg, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Dear Nondumblond,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review online about your stay with us here at the Jameson Inn, Harrisonburg. I am very happy to hear that you were pleased with your stay. We pride our selves in getting the rooms cleaned as soon as possible so guests like your self can have and early check in. Thank you for the kind words about Christine. We hope to see you again in the future the next time you are in the Harrisonburg area.

Thanks again,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012 via mobile

Clean, furniture could use an upgrade. Our room was older than the photos shown. But overall I was satisfied. There's an outdoor pool, breakfast buffet- which is ok. The staff was nice.

• Stayed May 2012
jiharrisonburg, General Manager at Quality Inn of Harrisonburg, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Dear Silver15211,

I would like to thank you for choosing the Jameson Inn Harrisonburg as your hotel during your stay. I appreciate that you took the time to go online and give us a review. I am glad to hear that you were pleased with your stay. I hope to see you again if you are ever back in Harrisonburg.

Charlottesville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2012

Grab your room on hotels.com or travelocity. It was worth the $52 I spent but I would be hard-pressed to pay much more than that.

The front desk clerk was nice enough to put me at the end of the hall when I requested something quiet. Indeed, it was nicely buffered by empty rooms on all sides. I would hate to be near the ice machine or the incessant dinging of the elevator.

The carpet was pretty dingy in the room and the beds are advertised as pillow tops but they are not. The entire hotel is in need of a renovation...peeling wallpaper, water stains, bumpy carpet.

Bright spots: nice big fridge and microwave in the room. The breakfast is pretty good and every employee I encountered was courteous. The hotel is close to all the shops and you can walk to a lot of different restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for something quiet and they will try to help you out.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
jiharrisonburg, General Manager at Quality Inn of Harrisonburg, responded to this review, June 2, 2012
Dear NewsLynne,

Thank you for taking the time to do a review online about our hotel and thank you for staying with us at the Jameson Inn Harrisonburg. I am glad to hear that the desk clerk was able to put you in a quiet room per your request and that you were happy with the microfridge and breakfast. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2012

We read the reviews of this place after it was chosen for us on Priceline for really cheap and we were a little worried but all for not!
The man at the front desk was really nice to us when we checked in and mentioned that they were booked solid for the night which surprised us for a Wednesday evening. We had a room facing the front on the 2nd floor and loved it! Again after reading other tips we had called and requested a room with a microwave & fridge and our room had everything we had requested just 3 days prior. The room was super clean and cool and didn't have that musty smell you get sometimes in other hotels. This location doesn't get any better; we had a great dinner buffet meal at the WoodGrill which is .2 miles away and then came back to our room for a great night sleep(we didn't have any of the thin wall issues others had mentioned.) For the price we paid this place was a steal! Staff at the front was great and breakfast area (again great for the price,) had bagels, biscuits with gravy, oatmeal, muffins, toast, juices, coffee & 2 waffle machines. Even the cleaning staff let me do late checkout since my husband had a meeting in the late morning.

Room Tip: Room 204 was nice, non-smoking king and it has a fridge and microwave which not all rooms have. It w...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear Candicegaud,

Thank you for staying with us at the Jameson Inn Harrisonburg. I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review. We take great pride in providing clean, comfortable rooms and excellent customer service here at the Jameson Inn. It brings me great joy to hear that we made your stay in Harrisonburg an enjoyable one. We look forward to seeing you in the future.

Edinburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

My husband and I live fairly close by but wanted a little getaway for a night without spending an arm and a leg, so we booked a room at the Jameson. I had secretly wanted to stay there since visiting JMU many years ago and staying next door at the Sleep Inn. (The Jameson's exterior is much classier, reminiscent of a mansion rather than a budget hotel.) The receptionist at the front desk was quite helpful, and the lobby was bright and warm, so I thought we had scored a sweet getaway on a dime.

The elevator was temporarily out of commission, but that didn't bother us as we were on the first floor. What did take me aback was the line in our room where the carpet appeared to have snagged and been ripped up, and the patch in the bathroom door where spackling was poorly filling in a hole created by some elbow or fist. Otherwise, the room was brightly lit and tastefully decorated. Unfortunately, the walls were terribly thin, and our room was at the end of the hallway, next to the stairs and the ice machine. We knew every time the water cycled through the pipes of the machine and every time a disgruntled guest had to haul a heavy suitcase up or down the stairs. We were also privy to an interesting one-sided phone conversation from a guest in the hall, who was possibly waiting for fresh ice, but I won't share the contents here. Breakfast the next morning was simple cold and hot cereals, waffle batter (watch out: one of the timers on the waffle makers was broken and my husband had to eat his rather overdone), muffins, bagels, cheap apple- and orange-flavored drinks, etc.

All in all, when you stay at a budget hotel, you get what you pay for. I wish the fancy name and exterior had meant a higher-quality stay, but I think next time we want a get-away, we'll go somewhere else.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the end of the hall with its stairs and ice machines - unless you like know...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
jiharrisonburg, General Manager at Quality Inn of Harrisonburg, responded to this review, March 28, 2012
Dear Anne C,

I would like to thank you for staying at the Jameson Inn during your stay in Harrisonburg. Thank you for your time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor and please accept my dearest apologies for your unpleasant stay. I regret that your stay was not perfect and would like any opportunity to make it up to you. We take great pride in providing clean, comfortable rooms and excellent customer service. Once again, I apologize for a less than perfect stay and really appreciate your feedback. I hope that you will allow us the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Isaiah Brown, General Manager

Been to Quality Inn of Harrisonburg? Share your experiences!