“Very nice place but needs better managing!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Double Rewards Points!
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Harrisonburg
Kodak, Tennessee
“Very nice place but needs better managing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The place was beautiful. The check in was very easy. The room was very clean. But be prepared to eat outside of the hotel because the cost of anything at the bistro is just Crazy! $10 for a turkey sandwich! Just Nuts. Also be careful with the pool because it was very heavily chlorinated and burned my husbands and my daughters eyes. The last thing I have to say is this place needs to get professional and do what they say they will do. I was told starbucks was open 24hrs but it was more like whenever whoever was working felt like it. Bad business practice! I would stay at another Marriot but probably not this one just because of the poorly ran bistro and starbucks.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 138 and it was very quiet. That would be the only tip I could give you is to ask f...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Courtyard Marriott was $45 cheaper per night than the Hampton Inn next door. I wanted to stay at the Hampton Inn since I am a reward member, but $45 can go a long way instead of the "free breakfast" and the HI. Don't let the price fool you though....it was a great property. Easy check-in, recently redone (May) lobby with fireplace and flat screen tv and chairs to enjoy each. Room seemed to be fresh and modern. We had a king room with a sleep sofa. A previous post that mentioned a small sink area: the sink was outside the tub/toilet area and I hate to say the counter top is bigger than the one in my master bath at home. Held toiletry kits on each side, but not much more. Didn't bother me however. Large closet and large custom built cabinet in room that held refrigerator (and room for microwave, which was absent). Nice flat screen tv that swiveled toward the sofa or bed. Noon check out time was very nice. We put our room savings toward breakfast at the Little Diner Cooperative....which I highly recommend.

Room Tip: All rooms are no-smoking.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Stated here two nights for business and was very happy with the new renovations to rooms, lobby, and fitness center. The Bistro in the lobby was great for breakfast and a light dinner. I will be back next time I am in the area.

• Stayed November 2012
SHerbst, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Harrisonburg, responded to this review, February 3, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Courtyard, Harrisonburg. I am so happy you were pleased with our renovations and appreciate your comments. Our staff and I are extremely happy with the outcome. We hope you continue to make our hotel your number one choice when visiting Harrisonburg. Thank you.
McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

It is not easy to find a decent hotel in Harrisonburg. But this property is actually quite pleasant. The best part of the hotel is the lobby which invites guests to get out of their rooms and even has a bar open until 10 pm. The workout room could use a few weights or some alternative to the three pieces of equipment which are busy--given that visiting sports teams stay here. The beds are comfortable but there is no free breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
SHerbst, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Harrisonburg, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for staying at the Courtyard by Marriott, Harrisonburg. I am happy to hear you had a comfortable and pleasant stay at our hotel. We will be adding weights to the fitness room in the future. I also wanted to let you know that we do have a membership at a local fitness center that is complimentary to all our guests during your stay. Again, thank you for staying with us in Harrisonburg.

northern VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

Things got off to a rough start when they wouldn't accept my Master Card rewards card ( Ultimate Pursuit ) that I have used in Marriotts all over the country.
Oddly enough the thing I liked the most about the place is the view from the front parking lot......it sits up on a hill and allows for an incredible vista of the JMU campus and the mountains. I didn't spend a lot of time at the hotel but did take advantage of the hot tub in the pool area. Too bad a continental breakfast is not offered like a lot of other local places do. Overall, it was clean, quiet and was up to Marriott standards I would say for this level of hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your comments. We do have a lovely view from the front of our hotel. I hope you enjoyed your visit to Harrisonburg and hope you make our hotel your first choice when visiting the area.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for about a month.

It's a comfortable, and clean hotel, but during extended stays, if you don't wish to have your room cleaned every day, they put a card in your keycard slot, which is a minor annoyance.

Free parking and WIFI is nice.

Would benefit from some sort of happy hour.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
SHerbst, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Harrisonburg, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Thank you for staying with us at the Courtyard by Marriott, Harrisonburg. I am pleased you enjoyed a comfortable stay with us. I will discuss with our housekeeping staff better ways to communicate with our long term stay guests. Please feel free to contact our management staff to discuss long term stay rates and ways we can service your room that is more convenient for your schedule. Again, thank you.

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

This was a perfectly fine Courtyard at a fair price. Check in was good and front desk competent. We had a good night's sleep. The room was fine, typical Courtyard. We used the Bistro for drinks, the bartender was courteous and helpful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us at the Courtyard, Harrisonburg. I am so happy you enjoyed a restful night at our hotel. I will share your positive comments with our bar staff. Our staff strive to offer great service and appreciate it when they are recognized by our guests. Again, thank you for staying with us and the great review. We hope you make our hotel your first choice when visiting Harrisonburg.

Sara C. Herbst