“Wonderful food but a bit over the top waiter” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Local Chop and Grill House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 191 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Bar scene, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Noll
Description: Massive wooden door, old bricks and rustic beams of Harrisonburg’s old City Produce Exchange building, the perfect setting for a memorable dining experience at The LOCAL Chop & Grill House. Bring your friends and savor the atmosphere, food and drink that set us apart from other restaurants. Our menu features fresh, hand-selected, LOCAL and seasonal foods prepared with a progressive flair by Chef Ryan Zale. Farm to Table is the mainstay of our eating philosophy. That’s why we work with community food producers to support organic, sustainable, LOCAL farms, and put the finest, freshest foods on the table for you. We’re serious about making choices that are environmentally sound, from the food we carefully hand-select to the aprons our kitchen and wait staff wear. Casual and fun, The LOCAL Chop & Grill House brings you world-class dining with a decidedly LOCAL flavor.
Staunton, Virginia
“Wonderful food but a bit over the top waiter”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

First visit: nice warehouse look with lots of red brick walls. Tried the charcuterie platter: house smoked and cured meats were outstanding. Filets were the best we have had in years and with choice of rubs and sauces - unique and delicious. The smashed potato and polenta with tomatoes are two great sides. Vegetables were a bit shiny and over cooked. Waiter was older and tried to engage us all evening by being "too clever" with intruding comments on every visit to table. We did not come to spend $170 for two to hear about him being too tired carrying food up the stairs, etc. etc. Owner should contact Zynodoa in Staunton and ask how they train staff. Minimal chatter, no " hi, I am Bob and I will be your server tonight" (really, I hope so!) Please tell wait staff that some diners do not come to hear staff life stories; just give good service and let the diners enjoy their evening unless they engage you.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Manassas
“My new favorite ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stayed at Massanutten for a mini vacation. We made reservations here to celebrate my birthday. This place is incredibly amazing. Nice atmosphere, the service is top notch and the food...oh my the food!!! I took my first bite of a side...(the smashed potatoes) and said "oh my god" out loud with my mouth full. Wow my palette was so very happy!!!! We did not take advantage of the very large wine menu but did indulge in coffee and dessert. Again zero complaints. If I lived closer I would eat here at least once a week. Local grown, local grown, local grown!!!!! From the free valet, to the attentive staff, to the tasty food, one would be foolish to pass up this gem!

Gold Canyon, Arizona
“Outstanding!!!! Pampered!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I had dinner at the Chop & Grill House on Thursday, July 3 while we were in Harrisonburg for a golfing weekend. We ordered the perfectly cooked-to-order Petite Filets with a fresh garden and Caesar salads, grilled asparagus and a mushroom casserole. All were wonderful. Chris, our waiter, pampered us with his outstanding service.... so friendly... making sure everything was to our liking. The restaurant is housed in a historic building... just enough moderation to make it workable in today's world. Lovely atmosphere. We enjoyed the evening immensely. Highly recommended!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Do not come to town without eating here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

A perfect evening. From the valet service on the way in to the goodby an outstanding WOW experience.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Richmond, Virginia
“Best Restaurant in Harrisonburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

My wife and I have family in Harrisonburg and have been looking for a quality restaurant for many years. We have finally found it when we had dinner at the Chop House! The food was exquisite and the service was first class. We look forward to frequenting this restaurant in the future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere