“Local and Yummy” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Local Chop and Grill House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 192 Restaurants in Harrisonburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene, Entertaining clients, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Noll
Description: Massive wooden door, old bricks and rustic beams of Harrisonburg’s old City Produce Exchange building, the perfect setting for a memorable dining experience at The LOCAL Chop & Grill House. Bring your friends and savor the atmosphere, food and drink that set us apart from other restaurants. Our menu features fresh, hand-selected, LOCAL and seasonal foods prepared with a progressive flair by Chef Ryan Zale. Farm to Table is the mainstay of our eating philosophy. That’s why we work with community food producers to support organic, sustainable, LOCAL farms, and put the finest, freshest foods on the table for you. We’re serious about making choices that are environmentally sound, from the food we carefully hand-select to the aprons our kitchen and wait staff wear. Casual and fun, The LOCAL Chop & Grill House brings you world-class dining with a decidedly LOCAL flavor.
Miami Lakes
“Local and Yummy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This very fine restaurant serves some of the most interesting combinations of food I have encountered. Starting with drinks and continuing through dessert, the surprise keep coming. The bar serves a number of authentic beverages - who would have thought thyme or basil or any number of herbs would mix well with one's favorite libation. I suggest you try one form the special list. The food (for the most part) is locally grown, and the freshness is quite obvious. The entrees are varied, and there is something for \everyone. I had the filet, and it melted in my mouth. My girlfriend had scallops and duck soup, both she moaned were delicious. Do NOT miss this restaurant in Harrisonburg !! It is truly a fine dining experience - make a reservation.

Visited July 2013

Greer, South Carolina
“A culinary gem in the heart of Harrisonburg”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I were staying overnight in Harrisonburg, and had dinner at this restaurant. If you are in the Harrisonburg area, don't miss stopping here. The menu is built on local ingredients, and the chef creates culinary masterpieces. I wish we lived closer to have the chance to taste everything on the menu.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Phillipsburg, New Jersey
“Very Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The mojito was just the way I asked for it...a little sweet. I started with the Virginia Cheese Plate which I enjoyed immensely. Our waitress was very helpful navigating the menu with different choices of preparation (rubs) and different sauces for the different cuts of meat. I had the duck. She recommended a rub that would crisp the fat. And she gave me a thumbs up on my choice of sauce - Mango BBQ. We got a local wine from Monticello which was very smooth. The food was excellent, service superb and a nice ambience to the place. And, get this... COMPLIMENTARY VALET PARKING! They really have gotten it right at the Local Chop and Grill House. Two thumbs up!!

Visited July 2013
Burlington, Vermont
“What a Gem!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We were on our way down south and stopped in Harrisonburg. We decided to try this restaurant since it was using seasonal, local foods. The dining room was full and we almost left since we really didn't want to sit in the bar area. I'm glad we decided to stay. We were very impressed with the food and service here. The burgers with caramelized onions in them were some of the best we have ever had. Duck fat fries (this was a new one) were delicious. The desserts were good, I had the fruit crisp and the kids had the milk and cookies, they loved it. My wife had the creme brulee and she wouldn't recommend it. Overall, a truly magnificent restaurant. If I lived here, it would be a regular dining place for us.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Virginia
“Perfect For the Fam Over Parents' Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Local food is a natural in Harrisonburg, Virginia, located in the middle of actual farming country in the Shenandoah Valley, and Local Chop and Grill House makes the best of it. It's located in an old produce warehouse that has been repurposed to apartments this beautiful restaurant. The space is divided into intimate dining areas on different levels, a popular bar, and a large outdoor seating area under roof. The real fun of this place is the menu. You can customize your local duck, trout, or beef with three different rubs, 14 different sauces, and then two sides. Our family reunion table passed around plenty of tastings. All the meats were cooked perfectly. My local trout with "Shenandoah Growers Garden Rub" and "Yuzu Vinaigrette" sauce was wonderful, as was my wife's filet with basil aioli. There were a few misfires, such as oddly bland polenta and risotto. and a mango BBQ sauce that tasted like plain Hoisin. But we had a great time, and with 8 family members packing decades of old rivalries, that's saying something. When family gets together, you really appreciate spacious, comfortable seating and a laid back atmosphere. And an outstanding bar menu didn't hurt at all. There was a great selection of microbrews at only four dollars for a nice big glass, and several of us declared the $8 mojito the best we've ever tasted: pale green and suffused with subtle fresh mint and lime. The service was friendly but slow, but frankly we were enjoying the menu, drinks, and atmosphere so much it didn't matter. This is definitely the place to take your parents when they come to James Madison University to visit you. Entrees are $19-$29, with two big sides, and the drinks are a bargain.

• Visited July 2013