“Worth the Detour off I-95...Charming Cafe'” 5 of 5 stars

804-537-5404
Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Hanover
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Worth the Detour off I-95...Charming Cafe'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

If you are traveling between Richmond and Washington, DC, this is worth the detour. Better yet, take Rt.301 and avoid I-95 altogether! This cafe' is at the corner of routes 301 and 54. We stumbled along this place by chance and will be coming back on our next road trip. The place is welcoming and cute. The owner was sweet and charming and cooks everything herself on site. Her wait staff is very attentive as well. And the pork!!! Absolutely divine. She uses rosemary in her smoked pork butt. The crab cake was not as great, but I am willing to overlook and try another item next time. And while you are on the veranda sipping iced tea, pull a spring of mint from the hanging baskets of ferns and mint. Sweet, southern charm and perfect place for a lovely lunch. Desserts are homemade; we recommend the turtle cheesecake. Open for lunch and dinner, W - Sat (we asked for a business card).

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

hanover, va
“No, no, no”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I wish I could endorse this restaurant, based on it's wonderful past. However, we were here recently, after quite a long time away. Crab cakes - no, no, no: barely cooked, w/ no crust or spark or any interesting flavor at all. Ribs -- no, no, no: cooked to the point of being dried, but not to being tender, and again, very little flavor. Chicken salad -- well, there was that big bone that indicated it is definitely homemade. The hushpuppies are good, but I wish I knew I was getting some complimentary on the table before I ordered them as a side dish. The desserts looked fabulous, but we were so disappointed that we did not stay.

I love the history of this restaurant, and really want it to come back, but the night we went, it was truly a disappointment. I write this w/ the hope that the owners will take a hard look at what needs to be revised. I wish them well.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
King George, Virginia
“Worth the Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We adore this place...a little off the beaten path and so worth taking the back road....a lovely little place (once a gas station) that serves some of the best food in a quant atmosphere and the best homemade cheesecake I've ever had! The owner makes it herself and it's huge, delicious, and one slice is enough to be shared!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Awesome Place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Hushpuppies and cheesecake are so yummy! A nice, friendly place for lunch or dinner. We visited during lunch. Although no kids menu they have several things not on the menu like chicken fingers

Mechanicsville, Virginia
“Always a treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is one of our regular places to dine. We can always count on everything prepared just as we expect, and the menu choices are numerous. Atmosphere is friendly and relaxed; service is excellent. The desserts are over the top delicious, and we usually end up taking something home with us.

• Visited May 2013