“Delicious BBQ, great service, kind people” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #61 of 256 Restaurants in Hampton
Cuisines: Barbecue
Bloomington, Indiana
“Delicious BBQ, great service, kind people”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

I grew up in Hampton and I used to live right down the street from Wilkes.' Every time I go home to visit, we get Wilkes. The pulled-pork BBQ is delicious - nice spice, Carolina-style shredded pork. My parents will get a rib dinner w/ potato salad and coleslaw, and they're always more than satisfied. Carry-out only, but you can stop by for a quick lunch carryout or on your way home from work. Service is fast, the Wilkes are very nice, and the food is good quality and very reasonably priced. Closed on Sundays and Mondays, open from 11-6pm only, but once you try it, you'll make those hours.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Great BBQ from a locally owned restaurant.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

The food is really good. I like the fact that this is a locally owned restaurant. There is no place to eat in the restaurant, it is strictly carryout. But that's not a problem because the food is so good.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
New York City
“From Hell to Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

After being stuck in the Norfolk, VA tunnel for what seemed an eternity, my wife and I decided to treat ourselves to Wilkes, in Hampton, which we'd heard about. We arrived as they were closing, but Mr. Wilkes let us in and we let him decide what we'd have. Well, there's no seating, so we waited until we crossed the North Carolina border to chow down, and we realized we'd been treated to a most heavenly barbeque, with sides that were so good we could have cried: East Carolina style minced pork on a jumbo roll was superbly moist and perfectly, and I mean perfectly, seasoned. The baked bean side dish was smokey and sweet, but not cloying, with some real texture to the beans. The potato salad was just tangy enough, and the eggs therein added an addiitonal dimension to the mix that was hard to stop eating. The sweet potato pie was someting to dream about - somehow slightly caramelized so that the sweetness was not overpowering. It was two weeks ago and I'm still dreaming about this meal. I saved half of my sandwich so I could have it for breakfast the next day - and that took some will power!

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Virginia Beach, VA
“Best Carolina BBQ on the Peninsula”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Wilkes is as close to a literal hole-in-the-wall barbeque place as you'll find --- just a storefront walk-up on Victoria Blvd, but the best tasting and most generous pulled pork Carolina-style barbeque sandwiches on the Peninsula. Also great coleslaw.

Their menu includes barbeque chicken, and a number of sides in addition to the coleslaw, but that's all I've ever had here --- quite enough for me! They provided barbeque and slaw for my wife's 60th birthday party two years ago, and guests still talk about the barbeque after all this time. I cannot recommend the place too strongly.

• Visited August 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hampton, Virginia
“If you want babyback ribs this is not the place...ribs are sloppy and not good”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

The ribs are not good you can fix these ribs at home they are very big an fatty will never return again..the people that voted must not have had good ribs at all..im from the country and these ribs are horrible...

Visited March 2012