“BAD REVIEWS ARE TRUE” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 26 Hotels in Hampton
York, Pennsylvania
“BAD REVIEWS ARE TRUE”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2010

We were traveling to a see a concert in Norfolk, the drive to Norfolk was dead on the mileage and time and was happy the hotel was not in the hustle and bustle of the area. When we arrived they greeted us at the front desk and sent us on or way. We got the room on the third floor and could not find the room number on the wall, looked like someone had ripped it off. Went in and right away it was extremely hot, thermostat said 82 degrees turned the a/c on and set temp to 68 nothing happened went to go in the closet to place the bag on the luggage rack and door was broke. My teenage daughter went to use the bathroom and door was broke, when I went back to the thermostat to make sure I set it correctly I found myself wiping the area clean with my finger. I called down to let the front desk know how we found the room ,I did not want to be held reliable. They said we will send maintenance at this time I had 1 hour to get myself my youngest daughter and my teenagers ready for a concert. I requested the manager. I spoke with her nicely but firmly as I was considering going to another hotel. She came in with maintenance I took us to the room across the hall. That room was slightly cleaner. The next morning my youngest daughter and I were awoken by a very loud housekeeper. She even was yelling and cursing. I opened the door and she was on her blue tooth having a conversation, she just stared at me. when the door went closed she went back to her thing. I called down to the front desk as that was not necessary and completely unprofessional. The upside was she woke us up to get the free breakfast. Downside I never get to sleep in and with check out at noon it was suppose to be enjoyable. as I was going down the hall it was apparent the front desk had spoke to her cause she was complaining on her blue -tooth to someone about how in all the years and how people are selfish and how she wasn't the only housekeeper on the floor. At that time I spoke directly to her she started arguing with me saying how do you know I was on the phone, I told her common sense, just like you were on it a minute ago she preceded to say I am not on the phone and I said Oh so the bigger issue is you talk loudly to yourself she then said No I was on the phone. Interesting I took her name and headed to the front desk. Told them what happened and requested the district managers number, the front desk said oh ma'am it doesn't have to that way I will cut half your room rate, I preceded to tell her that wasn't what I wanted I stayed there I would pay but I will not stand by as customer service employees are rude and inconsiderate when I am sure with this economy someone could use that job. I was never given the number.

The room does look just like the pic but dirtier, the Marriott site does say complimentary bottled water, which we never saw. Only 3 towels for 4 people. If you are traveling with a little one and they use the restroom stay close they wont be able to reach across the bathroom to get toilet paper.

Now on the positive the staff replenishing the breakfast was on top of things. Even as they were cleaning up they went above and beyond to help make sure I had what I wanted before the put stuff away. although no fruit or yogurt.

When we checked out at noon the front desk went ahead and changed the charges to half. when I got home I checked the bank and apparently when she did that it takes awhile for the reverse to go through and I had double holds on my account.

I would not stay here if you travel a lot, which we do. This place will not live up to your standards. I am still trying to find a way to get hold of the DM.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
tspencer41, General Manager at Springhill Suites Hampton Coliseum, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
Thank you for choosing the Springhill Suites Marriott Hampton Coliseum for your lodging needs and the feedback regarding your stay. I 'm concerned about the problems you experienced at our hotel. Please accept my sincere apology. Please be assured that all issues you've raised have been addressed, and that appropriate action has been taken. Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with us. There's no excuse for anything less than complete guest satisfaction. We look forward to serving you again in the near future.

Tracey Spencer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

this was a great hotel. rooms were clean and the linens were clean. The hotel is in a nice area. staff was well trained and friendly. Breakfast was worth it!!! my kids loved the pool and it was a quick drive to busch gardens and the beach.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
tspencer41, Manager at Springhill Suites Hampton Coliseum, responded to this review, August 23, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay here with us at the Springhill Suites in Hampton, Va. We are glad to hear that you and your family enjoyjed your stay and we hope that we can help with any future lodging needs that you may have. We take great satisfaction in knowing that your needs were met and that this was a great experience for you.

Charlotte, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2010

Travelling for business, I chose Springhill Suites for it's location and dependability of brand. I was very disappointed to discover not all Springhill's are the same. The only thing decent at this hotel was the lobby. The carpet in my room was worn with 3 large red stains next to the bed. The air conditioner was so loud it woke me several times durign the night and I'm hard of hearing. I had no coffee cups, just water glasses. Every time I called the front desk the phone rang at least 30 times before anyone answered. The printer in the business center did not work. There were no towels in the fitness center or pool. The desk clerks (and there were several, although none managed to ever answer the phones) attitudes ranged from mild disinterest, to blatant rudeness. I walked over to the Hilton Garden Inn, just in front of the Springhill Suites and the clerk there was very friendly. Going so far as to provide me with flavored coffee creamers, as Springhil had none, even though I told her I was staying next door. I promptly made reservations with HGI for next week and will be very wary of staying at another Springhill Suites anywhere.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
tspencer41, Manager at Springhill Suites Hampton Coliseum, responded to this review, August 6, 2010
Thank you for staying with us here at Springhill Suites by Marriott Hampton and for the feedback regarding your stay. I am disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay. I am glad you that you found our lobby pleasant and inviting. Sometimes our guests spill things on the carpet during their stay. We have our carpets cleaned several times per year and periodically on a as needed basis for certain circumstances. This is especially challenging during this peak season time of year when on any given day we are sold out and have short turnaround time with guest checking in and out daily. Also, our air conditioners are maintenanced by our staff on site and when a problem occurs the maintenance staff is ready to assist. All of our suites our furnished with coffee cups and glasses for each guest to use as needed. We are constantly training our front desk staff to improve customer service skills and guest satisfaction. The printer in our business center was down so we placed a service call and made available another computer in the back office should any guest need to print something out while the other printer was down. Our staff constantly replenishes the towels both in the fitness center and the pool area during this busy season for our guest enjoyment.
We would love to welcome you back and extend our services for your comfort and enjoyment!

Aurora, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

This was a very nice looking SpringHill suites. It's a newer place and the owners did a great job building it. The location of it, was less than desirable for us. We got the wrong first impression by seeing a car sitting in the lot with a broken window. Our car ended up being safe on our two night stay, but we did see many people walking the streets that were questionable. The hotel is also next to an apartment complex that doesn't seem to be that well taken care of. The room looked nice until we found the stains on the bedding and on the sleeper sofa. The bathroom looked decently clean. The breakfast served at this Springhill was decent, but lacked choices. The two mornings we were there each featured scrambled eggs, one morning had sausage and another had hash. This location lacked the typical yogurts and fruits for a Springhill.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
tspencer41, Manager at Springhill Suites Hampton Coliseum, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
Thank you for staying at our property as well as giving feedback on your stay. It is our sincere desire to please every guest that gives us the opportunity to service them. We apologize that a guest had a domestic problem that occurred during your stay. This is a very rare occurrence as we take every precaution to make sure all guests are provided with a safe and warm environment. Also, we are currently adding more variety to our breakfast in order to make sure all our guests needs are met. Furthermore, cleanliness of our guest rooms is a priority here and we hold each team member accountable for providing a refreshing and sanitary environment during your entire stay. We would love to welcome you back to our property in the near future as we continually make improvements to better serve our guests needs.
Waldorf, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2010

The hotel was nice the location a little hard to locate behind the Hilton Garden. The air conditioner in the room very loud and the front desk satff not helpful. The young lady had no idea if the hotel had a shuttle or not. Still not sure if they do!
We had a DND on our door and were called by the housekeeping staff to see if we had a late check out, beccause they wanted to clean the room.
I will make it a point to plan a little better to ensure the accommodations I prefer in that area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

I was here for 2 weeks at the end of March 2010 for work. The room and hotel were clean. The location is within 1-2 miles of several restaurants. The bed was fine. The closet was small, just a little wider than a 26 inch suitcase. If you have a lot of clothes that you want to hang up, you may not have room

The day staff was friendly. The night staff (the same person while I stayed there - did not have a helpful attitude). She did help me with printing a few sheets in the office as the printer in the business area was broken, but her facial expression showed a lot of inconvenience. Throughout my stay, her demeanor always seemed negative.

I am not a picky eater. The breakfast was okay, especially since it was free. They serve scrambled eggs, sausage patties, biscuits, make your own waffles, coffee, juice, pastries, breads and bagels. I just typically eat oatmeal at home and it was not good at this hotel. I ended up just getting coffee, a fruit and yogurt to go. I've stayed at several hotels and hotel chains where a simple hot breakfast is included and this hotel's breakfast would rank lower on my list.

The internet was extremely slow when I was there. It was slower or as slow as dial up during the peak times when most people return from work. And it didn't speed up until close to 11pm, when I'm ready for bed. This is what led me to switch to other hotels in the area.

One of these hotels is the Hilton Garden Inn across the parking lot. I believe that these are owned by the same company. If the price is the same or close, I would recommend the Hilton Garden Inn over this SpringHill suites. But you don't get free breakfast at the HGI.

If you just want a nice, clean place to sleep, I would still recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
tspencer41, Manager at Springhill Suites Hampton Coliseum, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
Thank you for staying at our property and providing us feedback on your stay. We appreciate all guest feedback as that serves as our measuring stick of how well we are meeting our guests needs. I apologize for the unsatisfactory service experience during your stay. We are constantly working to provide more of a variety with our breakfast buffet. It is our desire that every guest is satisfied with a well balanced meal to help get their day starting off on a positive note. Also, I will address the front desk staff on their professional demeanor and overall attitude while serivicing our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to our property so that we can ensure you are provided with best possible service and enhance your stay with us.

Wash, D.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2009

Stayed overnight for a kids sporting event at Boo Williams Sportsplex. Room was very clean and equipped as promised. Staff was great! Very accomodating and friendly. This hotel is very quiet yet near lots of retaurants and stores. Only complaint is that the pool is quite small and the spa was not working during our stay. Free breakfast was good, lots of choices and staff kept everything refilled as needed. We would definately stay here again!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family

Been to Springhill Suites Hampton Coliseum? Share your experiences!