“Some Good, Some Not” 4 of 5 stars

Joplin, Missouri
“Some Good, Some Not”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stay dates: June 9-13.
I have to say the service at the front desk of this hotel was excellent. My flight was delayed both in Dallas and Atlanta on my way to Newport News. I spoke with a gentleman named Anthony twice and he assured me they would wait for my arrival. When I finally did get to the hotel, he was very helpful regarding local restaurants and suggested some that would deliver, since I was so tired. Througout my visit, the desk clerks were very personable, but the one who went out of his way to help was Anthony.
The hotel was very easy to find and the area was pretty and conveniently located.The breakfasts were nice and accomodating to most diets.
The room was okay. My alarm clock didn't work and there were cracked tiles in the shower/bath. One little quirk to that particular bathroom is that the toilet paper holder is pretty far away from the toilet. (Simple fix--I just removed it and placed in on the rail of the bathtub!) Upon arrival I did not have a channel guide and asked for one the following day, but never received one. I also didn't have regular coffee in the room the first night, only decaffeinated. The room was fairly clean; the lobby and breakfast areas were immaculate.
I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

120 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have my grandchildren with me and find many activities to do. They love the breakfast! The breakfast staff was very nice and the food is great! Love the turkey sausage. If you are here, you are of everything for a family! Had a great holiday

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Lusby, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

My wife and I stayed at this property 6/6 thru 6/8. We were in room 215. There was a large rip in the sofa pillow, the white cotton showing. We killed 7 bugs the first night and3 the next morning and 4 the second night. No towels, washcloths were in the room when we checked in at 8:pm. No clock/alarm radio. Reported it to the desk. The attendant brought 1 small bar of soap, some dish towels one bath towel, no wash cloths until we went to the desk. They gave us 2 wash cloths. We were told that the radio was not their problem, engineering had to see to that. We also wrote all of this down with our name and contact info and gave it to the front desk for the manager. No one responded in any way. No one even attempted to talk to us or try to offer any other assistance. I am a Marriott Reward customer. This is the worst visit that I ever experienced at a Marriott Facility. I don't know if I ever will stay at Marriott again. Someone could have at least talked to us about this. There has been no response at all.

Green Features: I feel that they were not performed to the standards that I am accustomed to at Marriott.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Teresa S, Front Office Manager at Springhill Suites Hampton Coliseum, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Hi Mr. Charles H, We are sorry to hear this. We'd like to look into it for you. Would you be able to contact the hotel directly so I can further talk to you about your past stay? Kind Regards, Teresa
Jackson Heights, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

As a frequent business/pleasure traveler, I have stayed in a number of 1 to 5-star hotels in the US and abroad. At one point, I practically lived in the Boston Harbor Hotel in Boston for 6 months. In comparison to other hotels I've stayed in, this one falls into the lower ranks.

I attended my Nephew's graduation at Hampton University over the weekend. Due to its proximity to the school, being practically next door to Bass Pro Shops, and distance to Newport News (where my sister lives), I decided to stay here. After a 9 hour drive from NYC, we arrived at the hotel around 8:30 pm.

DISCLAIMER: I recently had 2 knee surgeries, so I requested an ADA room for the bathroom grab bars and shower seat. This review is based on that room only.

PROS:
-Good proximity to Hampton University, downtown area and shops. Close to freeways and highways.
-Front desk staff was very pleasant, both at check-in and with subsequent phone calls.
-Maintenance person was very helpful.
-Housekeeping person was very helpful.
-Easy check-in/check-out experience.
-No bed bugs

CONS:
-No luggage carts in entrance/vestibule area. Maintenance person tried finding one after I suggested they may be located outside the elevators on each floor. While he was off on a treasure hunt, my son, daughter, and I waited in the lobby. After about 15 minutes, my 9 YO, who was exhausted, suggested we carry the 6 pieces of luggage to the room, which we did. Maintenance never found a luggage cart. During our stay and at departure, we never saw a luggage cart. Maintenance suggested some guests may have the luggage carts in their room, which is plausible, but why would someone purposely want to reduce the square footage in their room? If they have luggage carts, I suggest they install GPS on them or at minimum, tag them with a "Please return to the lobby" sign.

-Non-working light switches. Upon entering the room, I flipped on the first 2 light switches in the foyer/entrance area; neither worked. I scoured the room for about 10 minutes, looking for a "master" switch (you know, the one that, once it goes on, allows lamps/lights to be turned on/off), which some hotels have. Not the case here. I called Maintenance, who discovered one light was missing a bulb and the other had a blown bulb. They promptly fixed it.

-Non-Working telephone. As an ADA room, there are 3 telephones in the room. 1 in the bathroom, 1 on the night stand, and 1 on the work desk. Well, when I discovered the 2 lights weren't working, I tried calling maintenance from the phone on the work desk. Guess what? It wasn't working. At first I was going to let this go, but when maintenance tried calling the front desk to procure me an ironing board cover (see below), they saw it wasn't working either.

-Non-working floor lamp. In addition to the 2 non-working lights, the floor lam, which provided the majority of the bedroom portion lighting was working either. I relayed this to maintenance who got it to work by "finagling" it. Afterwards, except for the power switch, I tried my best not to touch it.

-No Ironing board cover. As mentioned, I was in town for my Nephew's graduation, so I had a suit, dress clothes for my son, and a dress for my daughter to press. I wanted to get this out of the way that night, so I wouldn't have to worry about it the next day. To my surprise, there was no cover on the full-size ironing board. Another call to the front desk. Shortly afterwards, Housekeeping arrived with an ironing board cover. I tried putting it on (the maintenance guy helped) and lo and behold, it doesn't fit. Seems they gave me a cover for a 1/2 size ironing board. After yet another call to the Front Desk, Housekeeping came back with a full-size cover and asked me to try it (Wait, isn't that your job?). This time it fit.

-Broken Vents on the A/C – See pics.

-Stained/Dirty Carpet - Have pictures to prove this also. I only took my socks off in the bathroom. I was scared of getting some sort of foot infection from the carpet.

-Staple embedded in the Carpet - My son got pricked by something in the carpet. After 10 minutes of searching for it, I found a staple (with one end sticking up) embedded it in the carpet. I spent another few minutes getting it out, to avoid my kids getting pricked and possibly getting a foot infection.

-Bent Sliding Door Railing frame/Closet - The frame on the sliding door of the closet was bent. This made it hard to open/close the door. My kids couldn't do it, so I had to open/close the door every time they needed something in the closet.

-HVAC Access Panel in ceiling falling down – The HVAC access panel is located in the ceiling above the shower. Upon returning to the room on Saturday night, we noticed it was sitting on the ADA chair which I left outside the shower. It looks like it fell down while housekeeping was in the room and they either a) tried unsuccessfully to put it back or b) just left it on the chair. Either way, I spent 10 minutes putting it back in place Saturday night only to have it fall down after I took a shower on Sunday. Good thing it did not fall on my head while in the shower or they’d be hearing from my attorney.

-No non-slip mat/strips in the shower – As previously mentioned, I recently had 2 knee surgeries (replacement/revision). It would have been re-assuring to have a non-slip mat or strips in the shower. Had I slipped I would have had to rely on the grab bars to break my fall, but I may have still re-injured my knee (and they’d be hearing from my attorney again).

Apologies for the long review as I don’t usually write them. In this case, I felt compelled to alert anyone else who plans to stay at this hotel. As previously mentioned, this review is based solely on the ADA room I stayed in and is not necessarily indicative of the other rooms in the hotel. If this is an isolated case, I urge management to pay attention to the details in the ADA room/s. The safety of your disabled (and able-bodied) guests should be a top priority. I did not feel safe in this room. Although my kids and I made it through unscathed and we have no plans to sue, I can’t say the same for your future guests. Since my sister lives in Newport News, I plan to visit the area again; however I highly doubt I will be staying in this hotel again.

Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: The front faces another hotel and main street. The back faces houses. If you want a view , request a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Richmond Va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed at the Springhill Suites for a baseball tournament over Memorial Day. The room was very clean and comfortable. We tried to squeeze 2 adults and 2 teenagers in a room with a king and pullout. Pullout was too unfortable for that to work out but we made due. Breakfast was good and well stocked for the weekend. Staff was exceptional and quick to help out with any request.

I would stay there again, close to BassPro and a dozen or so quality restaurants.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Richmond
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

The rooms were dirty, the curtains,the furniture,the walls all were in horrible shape? Wish they would listen to the reviews and clean this hotel. I would like for the GM to contact me. I have some very disturbing photos of this hotel. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, please read before booking.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Mechanicsburg, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

I stayed at this property in Hampton starting April 28. I will start with the negative: some carpet stains on the carpet in my room (fourth floor) and stains on the upholstery, which makes me not want to sit on it. Invest in some stain removal! Walls have dings and such. It looks like the hallways need a good vacuuming and vacuum the baseboards also. It wasn't gross, but could be a lot better. The housekeeper put a note in my room asking me to rate her. I rated her at an 8 and left a note to PLEASE leave me some caffeinated coffee (there was only decaf). She gave me another decaf but took the tip. Why bother asking for a rating then? To the left of the property is some apartment complex. I saw one worker leave and squeeze through the fence to get home. I understand that a person may not want to walk the perimeter of the fence, but it is a bit disconcerting as I saw other people doing that too. The positives: I was greeted by all the staff daily; they were very smiley ESPECIALLY the breakfast lady. The breakfast was really good! You have a choice of scrambled eggs and sausage and breads, or you could just do boiled eggs, strawberries, oatmeal, and the sliced ham and cheese which is a really nice touch. I really liked the oatmeal. I used the gym once and it seems to have mostly everything, except lighter weights (less than 10 lbs) - that would be nice. It appeared to be well maintained. Bathroom area was very clean. Good internet hookup.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Teresa S, Front Office Manager at Springhill Suites Hampton Coliseum, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear merry10,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay at the Springhill Suites. I am sorry that you were disappointed. My staff and I try to exceed the expectations of our guests on a daily basis. I will be reviewing this information with the management team so we can work on making our hotel better. I hope you would consider giving us another try so we can restore your faith in our hotel and in Marriott. Thank you again!!

Warm Regards,

Teresa S.
FOM

Been to Springhill Suites Hampton Coliseum? Share your experiences!